Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th October 2011, 10:44   #1
BHPian

Default Issues with my new possession-Sonata V6

Hi.

I have a Sonata v6 automatic, a 2003 model, which I bought in May, 2011 (secondhand). It has done 72,000 kms (approx).

At the time I bought it, everything was working. By everything I mean the central locking, power windows, etc, etc.

For some reason, I took delivery only on last Wednesday.

The car had been, in the intervening period, been standing under a tree in my office premises. Nobody touched it, or started it.

When we tried starting it, on Wednesday, it didnot respond.

The battery had lost its juice (non user).

We called Carnation chaps to office.

They replaced battery, and the car's central locking got activated. The car started making all kinds of noises, but did not start.

After that, all possible things were done, like a brand new battery, jump starting, etc, but of no avail.

Every time we tried powering, a sound, tik-tik-tik-tik-tik, came from under the right side of the dash board, and nothing else happened. Only the lights, and the music system could be turned on.

Carnation could not solve the issue. We called up Hyundai India's helpline, but their time to respond to the call put us off.

A mechanic, from Maruti's helpline was called by a colleague. He came and took the car away.

The next day, in the evening, the car came back to me.

It was working well but that's just about it.

Nothing else is working.

I took the car to Nimbus Hyundai, Noida.

They told that the car's central locking needs to be sorted out.

Please help me with remedies.

Another issue.

The car is returning very low mileage figures.

Any suggestions there.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Issues with my new possession-Sonata V6

the clicking would be the contacts.
try and get a mech to look from the starter motor to the ignition switch and everything in between.

do the lights dim when you turn the key?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
the clicking would be the contacts.
try and get a mech to look from the starter motor to the ignition switch and everything in between.

do the lights dim when you turn the key?
No, the lights do not dim.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

go to any hyundai A.S.C, and ask them to check the Ignition systems.
Lights not dimming could indicate the starting circuit is not drawing current.
Maybe, ,aybe, just the contacts require cleaning.
Experts could correct me if I am entirely cuckoo, though.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

New relay (some also call it solenoid) will cost not more than 500, so you can get that changed.
Relay contact are the ones that click when you switch on the ignition.

Lights dim only when then motor side of the circuit draws power (which ain't happening), clicking suggests that the switch side of circuit is working (your ignition key to the relay).

Therefore the problem will lie either with the wiring from relay to motor, OR in the relay itself. I don't know if anyone would open the relay and clean the contacts (cheapest solution).
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 14:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
go to any hyundai A.S.C, and ask them to check the Ignition systems.
Lights not dimming could indicate the starting circuit is not drawing current.
Maybe, ,aybe, just the contacts require cleaning.
Experts could correct me if I am entirely cuckoo, though.
The ignition systems have been checked.

Nothing faulty there.

They say the central locking needs to be sorted.

How to sort it is what is the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
New relay (some also call it solenoid) will cost not more than 500, so you can get that changed.
Relay contact are the ones that click when you switch on the ignition.

Lights dim only when then motor side of the circuit draws power (which ain't happening), clicking suggests that the switch side of circuit is working (your ignition key to the relay).

Therefore the problem will lie either with the wiring from relay to motor, OR in the relay itself. I don't know if anyone would open the relay and clean the contacts (cheapest solution).
The service people told the solenoid is okay.

Could you guide me to the relay to the motor. How do I locate it?
Old 25th October 2011, 14:35   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel Effeciency - Well you have bought a car with low fuel effeciency so do expect it to be poor. - A reason for low resale value. A total service including air filter, oil filter and fuel filter change along with oil change would improve it marginally - assuming the engine is fine.

Startup issue. You mention that now the car starts but the rest of the system does not work. - It could be a whole lot of things including a master fuse for the rest of the stuff. Suggest you get a Hyundai centre to check it out a mechanic who does not know the exact stuff could get it wrong. If you do to a private garage go to one whom is experienced in handling larger (read feature rich complex) cars. The problem could be something to do with a shorted wire causing a fuse to blow repeatedly due to high current being drawn.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 15:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Fuel Effeciency - Well you have bought a car with low fuel effeciency so do expect it to be poor. - A reason for low resale value. A total service including air filter, oil filter and fuel filter change along with oil change would improve it marginally - assuming the engine is fine.

Startup issue. You mention that now the car starts but the rest of the system does not work. - It could be a whole lot of things including a master fuse for the rest of the stuff. Suggest you get a Hyundai centre to check it out a mechanic who does not know the exact stuff could get it wrong. If you do to a private garage go to one whom is experienced in handling larger (read feature rich complex) cars. The problem could be something to do with a shorted wire causing a fuse to blow repeatedly due to high current being drawn.
I admit I bought a car which is low on fuel efficiency. But a mileage of 1.5-2 kmpl is simply unacceptable.

I shall get a complete service done. That is up next on the agenda for the car.
Where is this master fuse located. The mechanics have checked all the fuses and relays in the two boxes, one under the dashboard and the other in the engine bay, but didn't find anything.

I suppose the immobiliser got activated which is preventing the systems fro m working. How to sort this out.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Central locking definitely seems to be an issue here. The central locking is still ON and it 'thinks' that the car is 'locked', and so it is trying to immobilize the engine. I guess removing the central locking system completely should return the car to normal working conditions. This should have been done before you called in the Maruti chap, now the best option for you is to send the car to a good Hyundai ASC and get the car examined thoroughly, which is something you should have probably done before buying the car.

At times when I tried starting my M800 with the central locking ON, it produced the same tick tick sound, but the engine never started.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 15:53   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I admit I bought a car which is low on fuel efficiency. But a mileage of 1.5-2 kmpl is simply unacceptable.

I shall get a complete service done. That is up next on the agenda for the car.
Where is this master fuse located. The mechanics have checked all the fuses and relays in the two boxes, one under the dashboard and the other in the engine bay, but didn't find anything.

I suppose the immobiliser got activated which is preventing the systems fro m working. How to sort this out.
My Company chairman had one a few years back and he used to get 3kmpl on an average. - criminal waste in todays times.

Again for the immobiliser would suggest you take the help of the authorized centre.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 15:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Ok now that is way too low for this car. It should give you 4-5 at least. Here is what I suggest you do after you sort the electricals out.

Get a full service done.
Change oil, fuel filter.
Change to synthetic oil.
Get throttle body and injectors cleaned.
Buy these Products Not the engine protector but the other 2. It is worth it. Use the engine flush before changing the oil, follow instructions.
Change spark plugs and air filter.

After you do this your car engine will probably feel much, much better and give you better performance and FE.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Check your battery cables, change the positive terminal harness that grounds your battery.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 16:40   #13
BHPian

As Akshay1234 said. Along with that, do a thorough decarb & change your plug wires also. Both will be available at the Hyundai A.S.S. That ought to give you a smoother, stronger & more reliable engine along with 6-7 kmpl.

When i had the car with automatic tranny, I had also changed the auto tranny oil. It makes quite a bit of difference.

Ask the Hyundai A.S.S. if any trouble codes were found. I would suggest you get the car checked at a Hyundai service centre which deals in premium Hyundai cars. The technicians there will know the problems peculiar to this model. The initial cost of ownership can be on the expensive side.

Last edited by 1self : 25th October 2011 at 16:45.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 17:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2011 at 16:52.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th October 2011, 19:14   #15

1.3-2 is way low man.
i currently have the 2.0 auto and it returns me 8 on the highway and 6 running around town.
A friend owns the 2.7 and he gets the same figures but he's a bit gentle on the gas pedal.

Update us after a full service.

Cheers
Piyush
piyush350 is offline   Reply With Quote