Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 12:47   #16
BHPian
 
gp_fanatico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 60
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Hi,
I am not sure whether I should write here or some where else but I would like to mention my two points regarding my Punto (Multijet 1.3) which has just completed 300 KMs so far and I seek expert help in this regard

1. The car is pulling left side when the speed touches 40 KM/H and above

a. Is there alignment issue with a car completed just 300KM?
b. Any suspension related issue

Clear case of improper wheel alignment. Get it done before it affects the tyres. Also re-check all tyre pressures.

2. When should I change engine oil (as per manual it should be changed once car completes 5K km) where as I am thinking to change after 1000K. Please suggest what should I do.
15,000 Kms according to the Manual. If you don't mind spending some bucks during your first free service/checkup (@3000kms) then you can go ahead for an oil change. New oil is always good for the engine. Just make sure you witness the oil change !

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2011 at 14:34. Reason: No need to type in all BOLD
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 13:20   #17
BHPian
 
vivek_pinkoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 194
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
First oil change for Punto MJD is 15k kms or 1 year which ever is earlier. For car pulling left, please check the wheel alignment from a competent wheel alignment center.
Thanks for so much reply. As the checking the alignment in alignment center is concerned I tried once but I was advised to go to A.S.S. instead as if out side done, warranty would be void.

I am confused with not to go to any A.S.S.
vivek_pinkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 13:32   #18
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 412
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Thanks for so much reply. As the checking the alignment in alignment center is concerned I tried once but I was advised to go to A.S.S. instead as if out side done, warranty would be void.

I am confused with not to go to any A.S.S.
I did get it checked by A.S.S the first time and the outcomes were not outstanding.

Moreover, a wheel alignment check will not void any warranty. So, you can happily get it done outside. e.g. Sai Iyengar, Madhu's etc.
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 19:23   #19
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 412
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
For me vibrations appear beyond 2k RPM (at any speed). More with the A/C ON .

But yes, Surendra seems to be stereotyping the issues without proper checks !

Just a possibility to look into. The vibration (@ 80-120 kmph) may be due to improper Tyre wear in the front or problem with wheel alignment/balancing. Check them out to rule out the possibility.

Due to improper alignment, One of my front tyre's inner thread had worn out (during 20K Kms range). I replaced the worn out tyre with the 5th stock tyre. Due to the improper thread wear, there was this similar vibrations/wobbling at high speeds. Then I replaced both front tyres with new ones, then did the wheel alignment and balancing. The issue then dissapeared.

So before your experimentation this weekend, get your wheel alignment and balancing checked before hitting the road. just a suggestion
Yep. That was my initial analysis of the problem.
btw, I realized my tires were eating up too fast pretty early (before first service) and as a result, durin that first service I had asked them to get the alignment done with a copy of the report for me.

I have got the alignment and balancing checked twice and nothing has come up ! :(
let me get it done once again!
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 20:15   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

For the OP:
First thing to check for a drop in performance should be fuel.
Would suggest you fill up at Shell normal diesel full tank couple of times before adding any additives. I am paranoid about adding any additives. For my car its just pure simple Diesel from a trusted bunk.
Also have you been putting in premium diesel by any chance? FIAT insists on normal diesel. Additives can clog up the fine nozzles.

Regarding the vehicle veering to the "left" , there is always a bit of banking on roads the let the water run off. So make sure that you test it out on a real flat road. Or else simple take it to the wheel balancing.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 20:26   #21
BHPian
 
epicenter.rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Valsad
Posts: 208
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

had a similar issue on a friend's punto.
experimented with tires from different cars but since all of them were worn to some extent, the problem couldnt be isolated to bad tires.
then last weekend, we chucked the spare wheels from his car and my car onto the front.
lo and behold, the car was as smooth as always.
got hold of the goodyear tire guy and gave him an earful of diwali wishes.
if everything works out alright, we may have a new set of tires for the front without having to pay anything. or the minimum possible amount.
but in any case, get the egr checked. for the fiats, it just clogs in a wee bit faster than the marutis.
drive safe, always wear a seatbelt.
epicenter.rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2011, 20:32   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,928 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
You can try system D
Going by owner's manual, please avoid System D or any kind of additives in the fuel, or even fuel like TurboJet etc with premixed additives. Please avoid all kind of additives for Common Rail system equipped Diesel engines, if you are sure it is the injectors which are blocked, get them cleaned from a professional. CRDI injectors may get damaged due to additives.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th October 2011 at 20:34.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 16:31   #23
BHPian
 
vivek_pinkoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 194
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
I did get it checked by A.S.S the first time and the outcomes were not outstanding.

Moreover, a wheel alignment check will not void any warranty. So, you can happily get it done outside. e.g. Sai Iyengar, Madhu's etc.
I have got the alignment done outside A.S.S. and the problem seems to disappear as car is no longer pulling towards left. Now I do not have to hold the steering to keep the vehicle straight any more.
vivek_pinkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 18:52   #24
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 227
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo

I have got the alignment done outside A.S.S. and the problem seems to disappear as car is no longer pulling towards left. Now I do not have to hold the steering to keep the vehicle straight any more.
:-) Nice, now please get the alignment checked every 5k kms. This will help in keeping your tyre in shape.
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 21:24   #25
BHPian
 
aqualeo2040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back 2 Bangy
Posts: 412
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Now I'm flummoxed!!! and having a super grrrrrrr moment for myself.

As expected, I was super lazy over the weekend and bummed around doing nothing that I had promised myself. So, did not get the underbody checked.

Flashback to last monday : Trip to Hosur to pick up firecrackers. The vibrations north of 80kmph were there. Rechecked and confirmed the same on the way back on BETL.

Went over the Agara flyover today morning. Speed hovering around 100kmph. And there were no vibes! I have not done anything different over the past one week, no checks, no additional changes!and the problem is gone, again.
Now I will have a hard time explaning it to anyone leave alone the SE!

Any ideas gurus?
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:04   #26
BHPian
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai Goa
Posts: 205
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
Thanks Peter. I will try it out to rule out the bad fuel possibility. Is System D same as fuel additive from 3M?.
Hello , System D is from IFTEX for Diesel engines and System G for Petrol engines,

Cheers,
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:21   #27
BHPian
 
gp_fanatico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 60
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
For the OP:
First thing to check for a drop in performance should be fuel.
Would suggest you fill up at Shell normal diesel full tank couple of times before adding any additives. I am paranoid about adding any additives. For my car its just pure simple Diesel from a trusted bunk.
Also have you been putting in premium diesel by any chance? FIAT insists on normal diesel. Additives can clog up the fine nozzles.
No, I have never used premium diesel for my Punto. I always insist on normal diesel. As u suggested, I will try a full tank from shell bunk once and check the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Going by owner's manual, please avoid System D or any kind of additives in the fuel, or even fuel like TurboJet etc with premixed additives. Please avoid all kind of additives for Common Rail system equipped Diesel engines, if you are sure it is the injectors which are blocked, get them cleaned from a professional. CRDI injectors may get damaged due to additives.
Does Engine oil flush count as an additive? (I know to ask such silly question, but just for confirmation from the experts !) If yes, then as i mentioned in my previous posts, I used enigne oil flush just before dropping off the car for its 3rd free (30k Kms) service. Do you think the problem might be because of it? But the turbo issue persisted even before i used the engine oil flush ! Also, even otherwise, how can I get the injectors cleaned? techincally speaking.

One more doubt regarding following the Turbo etiquttes.
I have heard and read that we need to follow some good practices to keep the Turbo healthy. Like letting the engine warm up before revving into the turbo range (during cold starts). And after a good run, it is always suggested to keep the engine in idle for few mins before turning it off. Do these hold good for our multijet engines and turbos? Because, nothing is mentioned about it in the manual.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd November 2011 at 11:47. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:26   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 707
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

All turbo charged engines should be driven in a relaxed manner for the first km or so and should be allowed to idle before switching off.
This is mentioned in the GP manual, please refer to page 95.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:43   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,928 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
Does Engine oil flush count as an additive? (I know to ask such silly question, but just for confirmation from the experts !) If yes, then as i mentioned in my previous posts, I used enigne oil flush just before dropping off the car for its 3rd free (30k Kms) service. Do you think the problem might be because of it? But the turbo issue persisted even before i used the engine oil flush !
Engine flush is not a fuel additive.


Quote:
Also, even otherwise, how can I get the injectors cleaned? techincally speaking.
CRDI injectors do not require frequent cleaning like MPFI petrol injectors. Fuel pump service centers who service fuel pumps will clean the injectors for you, normally ASCs outsource the work to them.


Quote:
One more doubt regarding following the Turbo etiquttes.
I have heard and read that we need to follow some good practices to keep the Turbo healthy. Like letting the engine warm up before revving into the turbo range (during cold starts). And after a good run, it is always suggested to keep the engine in idle for few mins before turning it off. Do these hold good for our multijet engines and turbos? Because, nothing is mentioned about it in the manual.
Not only for Turbo engines, i always go easy with the engine until the temperature gauge reaches normal operating temperature. Diesel engines take longer to warm up, especially in Winters. Diesel engines including the latest ones sound considerably louder when cold.

Idling before switching off is a good practice for Turbocharged engines, though this may not be required for newer engines due to upgraded Turbo design, but i still idle the car before switching off after any hard runs. This all has been discussed earlier in various threads.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:55   #30
BHPian
 
Bhargava_sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: HOSUR
Posts: 311
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD - Issue with Turbo and NVH

My Punto has done just 500 kms and from past 100 kms I feel the car has lost the Torque. It was really behaving good when it was delivered.

Engine is struggling to pull the car in the lower gears. I feel turbo is not opening properly even after 2k RPM. We have to push the car very hard.

Also there is a squeezing belt noise which increases when accelerated and decreases when de-accelerated.

I visited the Tata SC in hosur and the Technical manager had no clue and he asked to take the car to Prerana Motors in Bangalore to inspect the car using 'EXAMINER'.

I am really worried since its a new car, I might visit Prerana this Thursday.

Fiat Gurus - Is there any thing we can inspect / fix before I go to Prerana.
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
1978 - Fiat 1100 || 2010 - Fiat Grande Punto Emotion MJD! Sujith1100 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 146 25th October 2011 21:53
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18
My Baby, My Fiat Grande Punto - Red - MJD - Active CliffHanger Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 17 30th May 2010 07:16
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks