Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st November 2011, 19:03   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The strange Santro issue - switches off after 2kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Start the car in the morning, it starts at first crank, drive around and within 2kms, it will just switch off. Even if you stay stationary, it will switch off after a few minutes. Now try to start the car, it will take a few cranks before it starts. For the unsuccessful cranks, it looks like no current is getting through. After the car starts, it is now no longer predictable when it will shut off next. Maybe soon or might take some time. Scary because if you are in the middle of an overtaking manouvre and the engine dies.
Several years ago my Santro had also developed similar symptoms. In fact it used start without a fuss and then unpredictably die on me. After several frustrating days, for no reason, and upon a hunch, I added IFTEK to fuel and the problem sorted itself out after some time.

Since then Santro has remained on the diet of IFTEK (1ml per litre of fuel). The problem has not resurfaced.

I have no idea why the problems cropped up in the first place and why (and if) IFTEK resolved it. I mention it here because symptoms were similar and the issue was not getting resolved by normal visits to service centre.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
So, you mean something like an Immobilizer. But why let the car be driven for 2kms?

The Immobilizer that most cars have these days don't allow the fuel lines to open at all if the correct key is not inserted.
Yes, i am talking about a malfunctioning immobilizer. One that kicks in when it should not.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 19:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all the responses/suggestions, guys. I took a printout of the whole thread and gave it to my friend. When I told him that most responses point to fuel-deprivation as the cause, he said that he did suspect it initially, but ruled it out due to the underlined part below in my opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Start the car in the morning, it starts at first crank, drive around and within 2kms, it will just switch off. Even if you stay stationary, it will switch off after a few minutes. Now try to start the car, it will take a few cranks before it starts. For the unsuccessful cranks, it looks like no current is getting through.
So, he basically checked and found that when the car does not start, there is no current at the plugs. Ofcourse why it happens this way is not known.

The car has currently gone to the HASS where they are supposed to simulate the problem with the scan-gauge connected to identify the root-cause.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 19:26   #19
BHPian

^^ I had earlier quoted that exact part which you have underlined and asked you to get the fuel pump relay checked. Was it done?
manjot1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 19:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the car was taken to the HASS by the time I could get the responses to my friend, this was not done. Let's see what the HASS has to say after using scan-gauge.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 19:50   #21
BHPian

I had similar issue to my Santro- 2000 Model, after few kilometers it suddenly stops. Even the Diagnostic Scanner hasn't reported any problem, it reported everything was fine.

After repeated checks the service engineer at Lakshmi Hyundai - Hyderabad diagnoised it as fuel pump problem, after replacing there had been no issues.
Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote