Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th November 2011, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Default Clutch breakdown within 2,500 kms .. your views needed.

Hi friends,

Wanted to report an incident related to a clutch issue with my car - Wagon R.

I bought the car (new) in 2005 and has done 94,000 kms till date. I have kept it well maintained with regular servicing and have done a fair bit of highway driving of about average -- 800 kms once a month. Apart from this I use it daily for my daily and weekend driving around the city.

A new clutch was installed in end-Sept 2011 at an authorised Maruti service station in coastal Karnataka (when it was 91,500 kms). After that I have done a few highway trips, including the Shiradi ghats.

Since last 2 days, I wasnt able to shift the gear properly into the right slot, and thought it was a gear box problem... and delayed in taking it to the service station.

Last night, the car stalled on the mainroad in Bangalore ... and I wasnt able to move the gear stick into any slot.. Called the Maruti emergency numbers and they sent a vehicle and technician within 45 mins.

The technician said it was a clutch problem and the car had to be towed to their service centre.

Today the service centre guys have confirmed that the clutch has spoiled and needs to be replaced.

The clutch change in September was my second clutch change in the last 6 and half years. The first clutch was good till about 45,000 kms and the second one was good till about 91,500.

Am shocked that the third clutch has barely lasted less than two months and that too for just about 2,500 kms.

Wanted to ask the gurus and other folks if they could shed some light on why this could have happened.

1. Is this a freak thing? Does this sort of thing about a clutch lasting only 2,500 kms known to happen?

2. Would it be coz the clutch was substandard or had some mechanical defect?

Can such a situation be avoided in future. Considering that I have been planning longer touring trips (of about 4000-5000 kms ) in future..and wouldnt want to have a clutch breakdown especially after installing a new one.

Your views are welcome and much appreciated.

regards,

Wagoner
Wagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 12:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Clutch breakdown within 2,500 kms .. your views needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
1. Is this a freak thing? Does this sort of thing about a clutch lasting only 2,500 kms known to happen?
Might be a faulty installation.
Quote:
Can such a situation be avoided in future.
Yes, by the mechs, nothing can be done by you.

In any case, you should be able to claim warranty for the replaced parts, as its under 6 months.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do you have the original bills, if yes please claim the warranty for the clutch. I believe there is a six months (or maybe 1 year) warranty on clutch replacement. This is something of a surprise as clutch should last 40-50 (depending on driving habits).

I see you are in bangalore, but as per the post you did the replacement of the clutch someplace outside of bangalore. I would recommend raise a complaint with MASS to ensure the other service center gets the feedback of incorrectly fixing the clutch as it may be a case of negligence or unprofessional practices.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:16   #4
BHPian

Dear Dhanushs and Mayankjha1806, thanks for your quick responses and the feedback. I will locate the bills and raise this issue up reg. warranty of clutch, and raise a complaiint with the MASS. thanks again.
Old 14th November 2011, 14:56   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Also, be sure to categorically mention to them that your previous clutch' had a normal lifespan. Thus, it's nothing to do with driving style (which will be the first thing they will point out to you).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 17:48   #6
BHPian

In addition to the above, get your flywheel mating surface checked too.

Excessive wear will cause a loose tolerance that will kill a perfectly good clutch quickly. Sometimes the surface is glazed and the surface is "tooled" instead of correctly getting a new flywheel.

Other minor causes are leaking seals that cause contamination but they are quite evident.
VCheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

any problems such as an easily depressed pedal associated with this?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with GTO since the service center workmen will push the problem on your head blaming your driving style which is good since the previous clutch has lasted well. Take the car to the service center where you had the last clutch change and show them the original service bills and ask for warranty. If it doesn't help then escalate to the higher level.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 21:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to be sure; the 3rdtime the clutch was replaced, the entire assembly was changed, right?

It could so be the case that the last time it was changed (and is busted within 2.5k kms), they didn't change the entire clutch assembly and as a result it has failed.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 21:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

As a rule, I would always change the flywheel along with the clutc, pressure plate, release bearings all together.

Secondly, like some of the guys pointed, Faulty installation could be the reason.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 21:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

There has to be something wrong with the clutch assembly used. I do not think even if you chronically ride a clutch it will wear out in a petrol car in 2500km!! You obviously do not given the life of the previous two.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 21:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Manufacturing defect - no two ways about that. If the service station tries to make you believe otherwise, write to the Maruti regional/area service manager.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:33   #13
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Got my car back last evening with the entire clutch assembly replaced with a new one.

The technician said a small part of the clutch plate has broken due to "pressure", but wasnt able to give any more info than that. He has given me the tiny part, which was part of the clutch plate.

Also, learnt from the technician that the last time the clutch was changed, the flywheel was not changed.

thanks everyone for your inputs, suggestions and support. appreciate it.
Old 17th November 2011, 01:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
Hi everyone,

Got my car back last evening with the entire clutch assembly replaced with a new one.

The technician said a small part of the clutch plate has broken due to "pressure", but wasnt able to give any more info than that. He has given me the tiny part, which was part of the clutch plate.

Also, learnt from the technician that the last time the clutch was changed, the flywheel was not changed.
But how much did you pay for it? Please do share.

It seems like, from the tenor of the post, that you didn't pay much. So accept my for that.
wickedchauhan is offline   Reply With Quote