Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 15:33   #1801
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,687
Thanked: 7,568 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Based on all the recent turbo-boost discussion, cassually checked the price of a new tuurbo with my RM. He mentioned ~38,000 INR.

HCP, if they install a new turbo in your car, you will see a entry in the pre-invoice for the part-cost (adjusted against warranty). Please check.

This "suspect" business is irritating. With today's modern cars, locating a fault should not be a end-result of a trial-and-error exercise.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:57   #1802
BHPian
 
DocRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ooty
Posts: 57
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Got delivery of my new W8 purple last week, a few niggles encountered, for example the passenger side sun visor lights do not light up when the mirror cover is slided open, my old 4 gb usb is not getting recognized, maybe its the usb's fault, will buy a new one and check it out.
Can somebody tell me which is the latest version of maps?
And one small annoying thing, why doesnt the music system play the last song where it was left off before shut down, it starts all the way from beginning and my shuffle options which i set are also reset to off. Anyway out of it?
Other than these minor issues car is amazing to drive, i live in the hills of ooty and it performs beautifully.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 21:27   #1803
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 284 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
[list=1][*]I started from Jamshedpur on 07 May and drove to Delhi, Srinagar, Uri, Srinagar, Kargil, Leh, Pangong Tso, Leh, Khardung La, Diskit, Hunder (Nubra Valley), Leh, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Delhi so far. I'll leave Delhi tomorrow and expect to reach Jamshedpur on 31 May.
Here's something we are hoping from you.
"Wanderlust elderly couple drives to Kashmir from Kanyakumari"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/20397280.cms
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:46   #1804
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 129
Thanked: 137 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Here is the data from last trial run. Just to summarize I have seen a boost of 21.18 psi. One interesting factor form the data is, the peak boost is not produced at highest RPM value. So boost should be dependent on some more parameters. May be throttle position?
Highest torque (on wheels) recorded: 330 NM
Higest BHP ( on wheels) recorded: 130 BHP
I have few questions about this turbo boost issue, I will be glad if you could elaborate.

- What boost are we talking about here, is it the rise of inlet manifold pressure with increase of rpm!
- If it is so then why should the reading show anything less than 14.696 psi. This is the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level.
- Turbochargers are centrifugal turbines, which normally have a linear pressure increase with increase in rpm till a certain stage and then the output pressure drops.
- I hope clear flow conditions in terms of clean air filter, plumbing check etc was ensured prior to carrying out the check.
- The graph drawn based on your readings is not understood, what do the findings imply.

Regards
PGA
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:04   #1805
BHPian
 
narsi_6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN 13/KA 03
Posts: 271
Thanked: 201 Times
Unhappy re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

These recent discussions about the new niggle or rather a new issue in Turbo is creating big doubts in my mind to go for this vehicle. I was or rather still am a potential customer of XUV. The problem is that normal rattles and other issues already reported are the one which can be easily spotted without comparison to other/demo vehicles. But this one is really scary for novice (non-tech guys) like me who wont be carrying a OBD device always. As someone already mentioned, it was while driving a loaner vehicle the issue with turbo was proved. Practically, everyone will not be aware of such a serious issue (if it is present) and it pains to run around finding issues on weekly basis with your ride. And to top it up all, the service centre guys are not aware of the maximum turbo boost pressure!? This is ridiculous.

Anyways, my purchase is scheduled to happen in the later half of this 2013 and will play a wait and watch game till then.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:22   #1806
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I have few questions about this turbo boost issue, I will be glad if you could elaborate.

- What boost are we talking about here, is it the rise of inlet manifold pressure with increase of rpm!
- If it is so then why should the reading show anything less than 14.696 psi. This is the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level.
- Turbochargers are centrifugal turbines, which normally have a linear pressure increase with increase in rpm till a certain stage and then the output pressure drops.
- I hope clear flow conditions in terms of clean air filter, plumbing check etc was ensured prior to carrying out the check.
- The graph drawn based on your readings is not understood, what do the findings imply.

Regards
PGA
PGA, Those are some very interesting points. The boost we are taking here is the Vacuum gauge pressure reported by the sensors embedded on turbo plumping. In my knowledge they report the delta pressure added due to turbo spin.

AFAIK, In VGT it is not necessary that boost should increase in linear fashion. There are more inputs to calculate boost pressure and that is flexibility VGT brings in compare to constant geometry.

In my case the data was sent to Teams at R&D and they confirmed a turbo failure. But they are clueless on why and from the conversations it doesn't seems to be a common failure. What I believe is the turbo was not 100% functional from day one in my vehicle. I have noticed the obvious power difference when I got a loaner vehicle with proper turbo.

All data I posted here are from a loaner vehicle with a good turbo. The results implies that I have a bad turbo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
These recent discussions about the new niggle or rather a new issue in Turbo is creating big doubts in my mind to go for this vehicle. I was or rather still am a potential customer of XUV. The problem is that normal rattles and other issues already reported are the one which can be easily spotted without comparison to other/demo vehicles. But this one is really scary for novice (non-tech guys) like me who wont be carrying a OBD device always. As someone already mentioned, it was while driving a loaner vehicle the issue with turbo was proved. Practically, everyone will not be aware of such a serious issue (if it is present) and it pains to run around finding issues on weekly basis with your ride. And to top it up all, the service centre guys are not aware of the maximum turbo boost pressure!? This is ridiculous.

Anyways, my purchase is scheduled to happen in the later half of this 2013 and will play a wait and watch game till then.
It looks like a one off case and we have seen turbo failing cases reported on Mercs and VWs. I don't think you need to change your buying decision due to this unless there are major numbers affected.

The biggest problem in the ordeal is, when you complain about such issues, the service center guys outright reject your claim with a sarcastic face and make you feel stupid so that you will not complain again. For them other than a complete breakdown, everything else is a "No problem Saaar" category. To a great extend this thread helped me to fight it out.

thanks
HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 4th June 2013 at 18:26.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 09:01   #1807
BHPian
 
narsi_6989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN 13/KA 03
Posts: 271
Thanked: 201 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
It looks like a one off case and we have seen turbo failing cases reported on Mercs and VWs. I don't think you need to change your buying decision due to this unless there are major numbers affected.
Thanks HCP for the information. This is why I am still a potential customer. But the balance has tilted a bit against when compared to Jan 2013. I was very happy when the brake issues were sorted out and official recall announced. But this issue got me thinking again. If this is an one off issue, I will go for this beast eyes closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
The biggest problem in the ordeal is, when you complain about such issues, the service center guys outright reject your claim with a sarcastic face and make you feel stupid so that you will not complain again. For them other than a complete breakdown, everything else is a "No problem Saaar" category. To a great extend this thread helped me to fight it out.

thanks
HCP
This is a perfect example of the beautiful beas plagued by bad QC and A.S.S of M&M. Really saddned due to this. On the other hand positive reports are emerging about Rexton. It seems there are no rattles even after a loooooon trip of around 6K kms. Of course there is a Turbo issue repoted by Anshuman. But overall it seems a better vehicle except for the third row. But the risk is again with A.S.S and its capability to handle the major issues if any (god forbid)!
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 16:21   #1808
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 286 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

For me, the biggest and the most annoying niggle has been cruise control. I have been using, or rather trying to use cruise control on my numerous highway trips and this thing is turning out to be out of control.

Out of the blue, the CC disengages itself and the press of the + button doesn't activate the cruise control. I have to press 'res' button to activate CC again. After this, I can disengage and engage the CC. If CC is disengaged all by itself, the 'res' button is one route. On some occasions, the 'res' trick also didn't work. A round robin click of 'res', cruise off', '+', '-' activated it. I don't recollect the pattern now. There was no pattern in the first place.

I'm wary of taking this up with the SS folks, as this happens only randomly and I'm pretty sure this issue wouldn't be reproduced when the test driver is with me. Anyway let me give it a try.

Second most niggle has been my steering wheel shudder. What started as a light shiver, is now a raging rattle, whenever I cross 100. But goes off as I cross 140. But then 140 and above is not a safe speed on Indian Highway and so is a speed less than 90.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 20:26   #1809
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,255
Thanked: 630 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
For me, the biggest and the most annoying niggle has been cruise control. I have been using, or rather trying to use cruise control on my numerous highway trips and this thing is turning out to be out of control.

Out of the blue, the CC disengages itself and the press of the + button doesn't activate the cruise control. I have to press 'res' button to activate CC again. After this, I can disengage and engage the CC. If CC is disengaged all by itself, the 'res' button is one route. On some occasions, the 'res' trick also didn't work. A round robin click of 'res', cruise off', '+', '-' activated it. I don't recollect the pattern now. There was no pattern in the first place.

I'm wary of taking this up with the SS folks, as this happens only randomly and I'm pretty sure this issue wouldn't be reproduced when the test driver is with me. Anyway let me give it a try.

Second most niggle has been my steering wheel shudder. What started as a light shiver, is now a raging rattle, whenever I cross 100. But goes off as I cross 140. But then 140 and above is not a safe speed on Indian Highway and so is a speed less than 90.
Most of the owners have reported about this steering shudder above 110 to 130 kmph speeds. Mine too does that and my friend who bought his new xuv few weeks back too have this. So i guess its a Mahindra's new feature of telling us that "Hey you, you are not suppose to drive above 110 on Indian roads"
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 21:00   #1810
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,687
Thanked: 7,568 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
...
Second most niggle has been my steering wheel shudder. What started as a light shiver, is now a raging rattle, whenever I cross 100. But goes off as I cross 140. But then 140 and above is not a safe speed on Indian Highway and so is a speed less than 90.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Most of the owners have reported about this steering shudder above 110 to 130 kmph speeds. Mine too does that and my friend who bought his new xuv few weeks back too have this. So i guess its a Mahindra's new feature of telling us that "Hey you, you are not suppose to drive above 110 on Indian roads"
Its a minor issue of wheel-balancing. Please get it corrected from a proper tyrewallah shop. I got it corrected from M&M A.S.S. and paid ~800Rs for it!
Now the steering is rock steady. Tested it at all speeds from 80 to 140.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 14:22   #1811
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ahmedabad
Posts: 6
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Its a minor issue of wheel-balancing. Please get it corrected from a proper tyrewallah shop. I got it corrected from M&M A.S.S. and paid ~800Rs for it!
Now the steering is rock steady. Tested it at all speeds from 80 to 140.
Thats true, had the same issue with my XUV. Major shudder at speeds from 110 to 120, but resolved after a visit to M&M ASS. Whats troubling though, is the faults/niggles are common all through the thread. Quality control ? The niggles are not something one can ignore and enjoy the road. Braking to steering vibration to noise in the audio, all kind of take the joy out of driving a vehicle that is bundle of driving pleasure without them niggles.
footsoldier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 23:03   #1812
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 398 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
For me, the biggest and the most annoying niggle has been cruise control. I have been using, or rather trying to use cruise control on my numerous highway trips and this thing is turning out to be out of control.

Out of the blue, the CC disengages itself and the press of the + button doesn't activate the cruise control. I have to press 'res' button to activate CC again. After this, I can disengage and engage the CC. If CC is disengaged all by itself, the 'res' button is one route. On some occasions, the 'res' trick also didn't work. A round robin click of 'res', cruise off', '+', '-' activated it. I don't recollect the pattern now. There was no pattern in the first place.

I'm wary of taking this up with the SS folks, as this happens only randomly and I'm pretty sure this issue wouldn't be reproduced when the test driver is with me. Anyway let me give it a try.

Second most niggle has been my steering wheel shudder. What started as a light shiver, is now a raging rattle, whenever I cross 100. But goes off as I cross 140. But then 140 and above is not a safe speed on Indian Highway and so is a speed less than 90.
Had issue with my CC as it was not at all engaging. A lot of trial and error was carried out including switching the steering wheel with another XUV. Not sure if it worked. However, the final answer provided was the switch cluster had some issue and was resolved. Did not face problem post that. I dont think they replaced the entire cluster or even the buttons. Maybe something beneath the CC "+" button that was in contact with the electricals. Why dont you ask your RM to check this out.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 13:21   #1813
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 284 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Maybe something beneath the CC "+" button that was in contact with the electricals. Why dont you ask your RM to check this out.

FundaG
FG I agree with you. My sense is that those CC buttons don't make good electrical contact for whatever reason.
Heavy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 09:51   #1814
BHPian
 
DocRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ooty
Posts: 57
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Hello all, I don't know if this is an issue or normal with all XUVs. I hear a sharp buzzing sound from the air vents when i turn on the ignition specially when the music system is turned on.I inquired and one guy told me its the engine fan, but to me it doesn't sound like it. Its quite sharp and sounds like a cooling fan from a PC. Do i need to get it chekced or is it alright?
The sound sometimes gets really intrusive when the engine is off with the music system on.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 11:26   #1815
BHPian
 
debuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 409
Thanked: 1,308 Times
Default re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Most of the owners have reported about this steering shudder above 110 to 130 kmph speeds. Mine too does that and my friend who bought his new xuv few weeks back too have this. So i guess its a Mahindra's new feature of telling us that "Hey you, you are not suppose to drive above 110 on Indian roads"
I have taken my XUV-W6 to speeds which activate the 'ting-ting' chime on 6-7 occasions. But never experienced any abnormal steering shudder / vibration. Wonder whether this problem is specific to W8 -- could it be something to do with malfunctioning ESP?
debuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My "not so great" experience with the Mahindra XUV5OO W8. Too many niggles!! hell yeah Technical Stuff 77 13th May 2015 16:01
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks