Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 11:51   #1816
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,499
Thanked: 6,776 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Hello all, I don't know if this is an issue or normal with all XUVs. I hear a sharp buzzing sound from the air vents when i turn on the ignition specially when the music system is turned on.I inquired and one guy told me its the engine fan, but to me it doesn't sound like it. Its quite sharp and sounds like a cooling fan from a PC. Do i need to get it chekced or is it alright?
The sound sometimes gets really intrusive when the engine is off with the music system on.
That sound is from the infotainment system fan.. very similar to the fan present in our desktop computers. Yes, that fan is loud. Not much can be done about it though.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 12:36   #1817
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,118
Thanked: 438 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

I have taken my XUV-W6 to speeds which activate the 'ting-ting' chime on 6-7 occasions. But never experienced any abnormal steering shudder / vibration. Wonder whether this problem is specific to W8 -- could it be something to do with malfunctioning ESP?
No this thing happns only between 110 - 120 kmph. Not before or after. But since you reported that you dont have alignment issue with your xuv then i guess you would not feel this. And mine too is w6 . Need to get balancing done.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013, 21:17   #1818
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

The RHS headlight of my XUV (low beam projector) has conked off again... this is the second time it is happening. The first time, the A.S.S. guys just put a new bulb to rectify the issue.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 00:33   #1819
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I have taken my XUV-W6 to speeds which activate the 'ting-ting' chime on 6-7 occasions. But never experienced any abnormal steering shudder / vibration. Wonder whether this problem is specific to W8 -- could it be something to do with malfunctioning ESP?
I have a w8 and have done 150+ speeds a few times. Cant say I faced any abnormal shudders so far.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 18:33   #1820
BHPian
 
Gerardfdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 207
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I have a w8 and have done 150+ speeds a few times. Cant say I faced any abnormal shudders so far.

FundaG
I too have done speeds over 150+ and regularly do 110 -120 with cruze control on. - No shuddering!
Need to have the wheel balancing and alignment done accurately and professional.

Quote:
to speeds which activate the 'ting-ting' chime
(happens once you cross 150Kmph!
That is a safety warning -that you are crossing into unsafe territory!!
Quote:
Mudhalaipatti Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, the biggest and the most annoying niggle has been cruise control. I have been using, or rather trying to use cruise control on my numerous highway trips and this thing is turning out to be out of control.

Out of the blue, the CC disengages itself and the press of the + button doesn't activate the cruise control. I have to press 'res' button to activate CC again. After this, I can disengage and engage the CC. If CC is disengaged all by itself, the 'res' button is one route. On some occasions, the 'res' trick also didn't work. A round robin click of 'res', cruise off', '+', '-' activated it. I don't recollect the pattern now. There was no pattern in the first place.

I'm wary of taking this up with the SS folks, as this happens only randomly and I'm pretty sure this issue wouldn't be reproduced when the test driver is with me. Anyway let me give it a try.

Second most niggle has been my steering wheel shudder. What started as a light shiver, is now a raging rattle, whenever I cross 100. But goes off as I cross 140. But then 140 and above is not a safe speed on Indian Highway and so is a speed less than 90.
As mentioned above I constantly use the cruze control especially -On the Surat - Mumbai highway. I have set it at different times at various speeds from 90 to 120kmph. Never has it disengaged by "itself".
However- if you try to increase the speed by using the "+" more than say 130 then it disengages, and you cannot "Res" or set it again. The only way then to get back into cruze control is to stop the vehicle switch off wait a while and then restart.

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 9th June 2013 at 18:52.
Gerardfdz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 19:02   #1821
BHPian
 
Gerardfdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 207
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I've been reading the various post's regarding the turbo - How does one "hear" of feel the turbo lag?
Gerardfdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 09:13   #1822
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?

The service guys say there is no solution for the same and have to live with it. Is that so ?
While idling at the traffic signal, I could feel exhaust fumes irritating the eyes and nostrils.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 09:21   #1823
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,499
Thanked: 6,776 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?

The service guys say there is no solution for the same and have to live with it. Is that so ?
While idling at the traffic signal, I could feel exhaust fumes irritating the eyes and nostrils.
I was just about to the pick up the same topic. I had reported this at the time of 2nd service and again 2-3 days later when the car went to service-center for bad fixes. Both the times, the service center had claimed that the problem has been fixed. The first time, they cleaned my AC filter as well and duly charged me for it. God knows, what they did the second time around. The fact remains that the problem still exists. One of these days, when I have a good hour to spare, I am going to call the RM and have a man-to-man talk.

I do believe that this is one of the design issues for which there is no solution yet.

Last edited by SDP : 10th June 2013 at 09:29.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 09:21   #1824
BHPian
 
liferocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 67
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

[quote="bnzjon;3144517"]Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?

I had the exact problem n it was rectified by adjusting some flaps or gates as per my Rm.
However only 90% of the problem was sorted out.

This was ok for about 4 months and now the same problem has surfaced again.
But yes this is the solution which controls it largely.
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 14:36   #1825
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 127
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I am having the same bloody problem, and I have asked my RM to rectify it on a number of occasions, but they think everything is perfect. When I heard about the AC Spa for Purple Club, I wondered if they are silently trying to rectify the issue with the AC.

Also I came across another issue, which I am not sure if it is usual. While driving back from Shimla, I noticed that after starting the AC for the initial 10 minutes, the Passenger side AC vent to the center console is throwing water (these are large drops and not droplets/mist), any idea what is causing this?
AGwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:41   #1826
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The first time, they cleaned my AC filter as well and duly charged me for it.

I do believe that this is one of the design issues for which there is no solution yet.
[quote=liferocks;3144520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone found a solution to the outside smell peeping into the cabin on recirculation mode ?

I had the exact problem n it was rectified by adjusting some flaps or gates as per my Rm.
However only 90% of the problem was sorted out.

This was ok for about 4 months and now the same problem has surfaced again.
But yes this is the solution which controls it largely.
SDP,they charged you for cleaning the AC filter!!! Everytime I brought up the issue with some foul smell, the solution provided was cleaning the AC filter and it was always done free.

Regarding the design issue, my gut feel is it seeps in through the door gaps. I have noticed after driving through heavy rains, splash marks within the door sills on the lower part of the door frames. Water however does not leak into the cabin area as such and I had recently even did some driving through a river of water splashing all around, during very heavy rains, with no issues.

Back to the matter of water coming within the door sills, never noticed this issue in any of my previous cars. Small amounts of water may enter into the door sill/frame area via the gaps but in the the XUV I have noticed the splash marks to be fairly more. Every time I wash the car, need to wash the door sill area also pretty thoroughly. If water can reach in so far through the door gaps, it just means there is the possibility of smell also seeping in and making it into the cabin.

So would this be a possibility?

BTW, has anyone checked out regarding the interior lights switching off automatically after a period of time. Apart from the centre light (in the middle of 2nd row), none of the lights seems to switch off automatically on locking the car. The user manual states all interior lights switch off after 3 mins or so as battery saving mechanism. So is this feature another printing mistake or a niggle.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 16:57   #1827
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,499
Thanked: 6,776 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
SDP,they charged you for cleaning the AC filter!!! Everytime I brought up the issue with some foul smell, the solution provided was cleaning the AC filter and it was always done free.
Not a large amount for me to make a fuss, but yes, they did charge for AC filter cleaning.

Quote:
Regarding the design issue, my gut feel is it seeps in through the door gaps. I have noticed after driving through heavy rains, splash marks within the door sills on the lower part of the door frames. Water however does not leak into the cabin area as such and I had recently even did some driving through a river of water splashing all around, during very heavy rains, with no issues.

Back to the matter of water coming within the door sills, never noticed this issue in any of my previous cars. Small amounts of water may enter into the door sill/frame area via the gaps but in the the XUV I have noticed the splash marks to be fairly more. Every time I wash the car, need to wash the door sill area also pretty thoroughly. If water can reach in so far through the door gaps, it just means there is the possibility of smell also seeping in and making it into the cabin.

So would this be a possibility?
Interesting possibility, although I believe there is a logical explanation for the water you see on the door frame lower portion. The rain water after hitting the window-glass slides down, goes below the rubber piece, enters the inside of the door and then is drained out via a small hole at the bottom of the door. This drained water invariably ends up on the frame. Please check out the lower-inside portion of the doors, you will be able to spot the drain holes.


Quote:
BTW, has anyone checked out regarding the interior lights switching off automatically after a period of time. Apart from the centre light (in the middle of 2nd row), none of the lights seems to switch off automatically on locking the car. The user manual states all interior lights switch off after 3 mins or so as battery saving mechanism. So is this feature another printing mistake or a niggle.
Yes, this seems like a niggle. At least a couple of times a watchman has come up to me and mentioned that the internal lights are on in my car. This has happened a good amount of time after parking the car. I doubt the 3 minute auto-off claim is true.

Last edited by SDP : 10th June 2013 at 16:59.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 17:10   #1828
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

[quote=fundagenie;3145135]
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
BTW, has anyone checked out regarding the interior lights switching off automatically after a period of time. Apart from the centre light (in the middle of 2nd row), none of the lights seems to switch off automatically on locking the car. The user manual states all interior lights switch off after 3 mins or so as battery saving mechanism. So is this feature another printing mistake or a niggle.

FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Yes, this seems like a niggle. At least a couple of times a watchman has come up to me and mentioned that the internal lights are on in my car. This has happened a good amount of time after parking the car. I doubt the 3 minute auto-off claim is true.
I too face the same issue. But I do recollect some owners mentioned that their XUV interior lights switch off after sometime. I was hoping this to be a software switch, waiting to be tuned on. Is this really a niggle, affecting all cars then ?
Mudhalaipatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 17:20   #1829
rlg
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
I've been reading the various post's regarding the turbo - How does one "hear" of feel the turbo lag?
There is a distinct surge in power at 1500-1600RPM. You can also hear the turbo whine when you rev up more. Both of these can be difficult to identify if you have not experienced it before. Data from an OBD scanner is the final say if you want to be sure.
rlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 22:16   #1830
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,118
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Yes, this seems like a niggle. At least a couple of times a watchman has come up to me and mentioned that the internal lights are on in my car. This has happened a good amount of time after parking the car. I doubt the 3 minute auto-off claim is true.
Do you mean those bright white reading lights right above center console or the fancy red ones (called mood lighting)?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks