Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th August 2013, 22:28   #2146
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

^^ This is interesting news, Vid6639! Thanks for sharing.

More than half the niggles of the XUV were related to the infotainment system. Its good to know that M&M looked at the 'real' issues from a vehicle reliability and performance perspective rather than chasing peripheral issues like infortainment system.

What remains to be seen is what approach does M&M take for the existing owners. I doubt if anything can be done about 'better build quality, tight feel and better screwed-together' for existing vehicles, but the new brake-clutch-suspension changes can definitely be applied to the existing vehicles to make them better.

Last edited by SDP : 20th August 2013 at 22:31.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 00:08   #2147
Senior - BHPian

I dont seem to see what exactly did they eliminate. They say, clutch still lacks that feel, brakes still spongy, Gear shift still notchy, still torque steer and suspension feels better but thats how they do initially, its only after few runs that you get to see their real side, so this too seems unsolved.

So except for tightening few nuts and bolts (which again needs to be seen in long run as intially older XUV held it parts), what "zero-defect" vehicle did they bring
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 06:07   #2148
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I dont seem to see what exactly did they eliminate. They say, clutch still lacks that feel, brakes still spongy, Gear shift still notchy, still torque steer and suspension feels better but thats how they do initially, its only after few runs that you get to see their real side, so this too seems unsolved.

So except for tightening few nuts and bolts (which again needs to be seen in long run as intially older XUV held it parts), what "zero-defect" vehicle did they bring
Interesting perspective Nitin!
Are you hinting at this whole version 2.0 thing might be just a PR exercise by M&M?
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 09:06   #2149
BHPian

Looking at the choice of words in that article, it appears dictated by M&M marketing team. Agree that Mahindra is working with Nippon/Visteon to correct the infotainment system, but it's no where close to being perfect as the article indicates.

Btw, has anyone noticed the lower sound output when the music is playing via bluetooth. I have a nexus 4 paired with the Cheetah and I have the push the volume up, almost to the middle, to make it audible for the first row. But when the music is playing from USB or radio the sound output is just fine. I tried with different phones paired and the sound output is indeed low.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 14:25   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Looking at the choice of words in that article, it appears dictated by M&M marketing team. Agree that Mahindra is working with Nippon/Visteon to correct the infotainment system, but it's no where close to being perfect as the article indicates.

Btw, has anyone noticed the lower sound output when the music is playing via bluetooth. I have a nexus 4 paired with the Cheetah and I have the push the volume up, almost to the middle, to make it audible for the first row. But when the music is playing from USB or radio the sound output is just fine. I tried with different phones paired and the sound output is indeed low.
Try bumping up the volume on your phone? I don't have this issue. I go about a quarter way up which is higher than the radio but about the same level as what I use when my ipod is plugged in.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 15:03   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
The ORVM mirror plate is separately available for Rs 327. One of my ORVM mirror plates fell off and broke a few months ago when the ORVM grazed against a pedestrian. The ORVM assembly in my W6 was otherwise undamaged. In W6 the mirror adjustment is motorized but folding / unfolding is manual.

It is relevant to mention that it took about an hourís struggle at the ASC to fit the mirror plate properly. There seems to be a design defect which prevents proper fastening of the mirror plate to the motorized mechanism inside and the mirrors keep coming off on slight impact.
I just spoke to someone at Ananth motors and she says I need to buy the whole damn unit! I haven't been assigned a relationship manager yet, but whoever it is better be ready for a mouthful. Debuda, do you by any chance have the part number?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 16:30   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I just spoke to someone at Ananth motors and she says I need to buy the whole damn unit! I haven't been assigned a relationship manager yet, but whoever it is better be ready for a mouthful. Debuda, do you by any chance have the part number?
Suggest you to have the mirror changed from outside. I am sure the same would be available aftermarket. No use breaking your head with the A.S.S. on issues which are not electrical / mechanical in nature
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 17:19   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Suggest you to have the mirror changed from outside. I am sure the same would be available aftermarket. No use breaking your head with the A.S.S. on issues which are not electrical / mechanical in nature
Oh.. I'd be more than willing. But wherever I ask, the moment I say XUV, they point me to the ASS. Anyone know someplace I should try in Bangalore, I'd be more than grateful. The mirror has to be convex only.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 19:17   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Interesting perspective Nitin!
Are you hinting at this whole version 2.0 thing might be just a PR exercise by M&M?
Maybe Sanjay. Look at it this way.

They had to reduce GC due to that stupid govt. rule, so they tweaked that plastic guard and came out of that mess. Now they have to showcase to "Aam Junta" that they have done many new changes to XUV in terms of reliability, where actually what they really did was reduce GC to take benefit. They wanted Junta to focus more on these so called changes rather than worrying about lower GC, which could hurt there sales. This could have been a perfect way to roll out lower GC XUV with people thinking they got new improved XUV.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:06   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
My LHS mirror plate was replaced and the Part No. of the same is : 0109BAW00111N MIRROR PLATE ASSY LH. Price Rs 327.

They can't force you to change the whole unit unnecessarily. I live in a small town (Jamshedpur) and even here the Mirror Plate was readily available with the ASC.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 22:01   #2156
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
...There was further good news yesterday. I got a call from close friend who came to know that I was in Bhopal. He owns a car shop and I told him about my lighting vows. He said to simply visit his shop which I did last evening.

On seeing me, he similed and showed me this(Philips 6K HID conversion kit):
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibu View Post
4300k is the least I would prefer but with 50w bulbs for the right intensity.

Shibu, since your friend owns a car-shop, can you please help me get some concrete details?

Here's what I found from the Philips India website:
XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-philips-xenon-kit.png

The one marked in red is what you have got. H7 6000K 35W.
From whatever little understanding that I have, we can use H1, H7 or H11. Apparently Fortuner uses H11. All 3 are available in 4K and 6K temperature. No info available on the site about the wattage.

So here're my doubts:
1. Whats the difference between H1, H7 and H11?

2. For a particular car, let's say the XUV5OO, how does one decide which bulb to go for H1 or H7 or H11? Is the low-beam projector setup in XUV designed to take only H7 or can it take H1/H11 as well?

3. I am specificaly interested in 4200K temperature. Have marked 3 options (H1, H7 and H11) in 4200K listed on the site. Are these really available with a regular retailer?

4. You got H7-6000K-35W bulbs. Are there H7-6000K-50W bulbs? How about 50W bulbs in 4200K range (H1/H7/H11)?

5. The kit contains bulbs and ballasts. Do we need relay and/or canceller as well? (A screen shot from HID nation is attached below).
Name:  HID H7.png
Views: 2033
Size:  50.9 KB

Sorry for bugging you with too many questions. But, please help.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 22:49   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Shibu, since your friend owns a car-shop, can you please help me get some concrete details?

Here's what I found from the Philips India website:
Attachment 1127700

The one marked in red is what you have got. H7 6000K 35W.
From whatever little understanding that I have, we can use H1, H7 or H11. Apparently Fortuner uses H11. All 3 are available in 4K and 6K temperature. No info available on the site about the wattage.

So here're my doubts:

2. For a particular car, let's say the XUV5OO, how does one decide which bulb to go for H1 or H7 or H11? Is the low-beam projector setup in XUV designed to take only H7 or can it take H1/H11 as well?

3. I am specificaly interested in 4200K temperature. Have marked 3 options (H1, H7 and H11) in 4200K listed on the site. Are these really available with a regular retailer?

4. You got H7-6000K-35W bulbs. Are there H7-6000K-50W bulbs? How about 50W bulbs in 4200K range (H1/H7/H11)?

5. The kit contains bulbs and ballasts. Do we need relay and/or canceller as well? (A screen shot from HID nation is attached below).
Attachment 1127712

Dear SDP,

There is a FB group of XUV 500 members where there is a discussion going on about HID kits. One of the updates on the thread mentions that H7 4200K is no longer sold by Philips in India and people are trying to buy H7 6000K in bulk. I think they are all looking to buy H7, not sure if they have thought about H1 / H11 types
shrk_18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 23:06   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So here're my doubts:

Attachment 1127712

As far as i know, these H1,7,11 are all different bulbs for different use. I think H7 is for Low beam, H11 for High beam and H1 for Fog lights. So if you want to have low beam replaced then you would have to go for H7 only.

As for brightness, i would suggest you to go for 4200K only. They are very good in harsh conditions like Fog, rain etc. Higher you go, more whiter it gets, resulting in more show off than practical usage. If you dont get it from Philips, try another company i.e. Osram (if thats how its spelled).

I dont think you would need relay, bulbs with ballasts will do.
Old 21st August 2013, 23:18   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
If the phone volume as mentioned by djpeesh isn't the issue (doubt it as you've tried with different phones), then check if the "gain" for that input is set to "low". Not sure if XUV's Nippon has it and if so what it is called, but most head units have means to raise or lower the relative amplification independently (marked in +/- numerals) for each input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Try bumping up the volume on your phone?

Last edited by GunMo : 21st August 2013 at 23:20.
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 23:55   #2160
BHPian

Quote:

H1 / H7 / H11 denotes the socket type of the bulb. Your headlight will be designed to accept only a particular socket type, so without the reflector modification another socket cannot be fixed in to the reflector to produce any usable light output.

So you will have to go by manual and choose a socket type. For XUV low beam is H7, so will have to stick with it.

thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote