Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 20:04   #2206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Hoping that Mahindra's R&D folks are looking into this - this must be a concern for them, looking at the large number of people who have had headlamp units replaced under warranty. The concern for users is what happens post-warranty, with headlamp units costing upwards of 7k each.
TNAWAYAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 21:05   #2207
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hoping that Mahindra's R&D folks are looking into this - this must be a concern for them, looking at the large number of people who have had headlamp units replaced under warranty. The concern for users is what happens post-warranty, with headlamp units costing upwards of 7k each.
Headlight units are replaced only when parking LED's go kaput. So when the warranty ends, you can simply add aftermarket LED's or just run without them (which in any case looks weak in front of actual LED's).
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 15:30   #2208
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I have a feeling that the suspension in my XUV has become a bit stiff now, it literally crashes into potholes. Also, it loudly thuds each time it hits a potholes. The noise is more of a irritation, than the actual jolt itself!

Any solution?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 16:18   #2209
BHPian
 
Heavy Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 264
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have a feeling that the suspension in my XUV has become a bit stiff now, it literally crashes into potholes. Also, it loudly thuds each time it hits a potholes. The noise is more of a irritation, than the actual jolt itself!

Any solution?
I just completed my second free service (10,000 kms) and they changed the balancer bar bushes. Post that the suspension seems to have improved. Does'nt cost much either. Maybe that'll help.

Just my 2 cents
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 20:24   #2210
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have a feeling that the suspension in my XUV has become a bit stiff now, it literally crashes into potholes. Also, it loudly thuds each time it hits a potholes. The noise is more of a irritation, than the actual jolt itself!

Any solution?
Have the bushes checked and all the nut and bolts tightened , same thing required for my Scorpio, courtesy the dug out roads in Navi Mumbai
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:00   #2211
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hoping that Mahindra's R&D folks are looking into this - this must be a concern for them, looking at the large number of people who have had headlamp units replaced under warranty. The concern for users is what happens post-warranty, with headlamp units costing upwards of 7k each.
I don't think they would ever be concerned. The malfunctioned unit will be replaced by OEM manufacturer as per contract. All M&M will be doing is send the defective parts to the corresponding OEM warehouse and get the replacement unit to their inventory. Same case with ICE as well. Nippon will replace them on a case to case basis. The catch is, like in many other industries, the old units will be refurbished by OEM at factory / service centre and added back to stock for further consumption.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:24   #2212
BHPian
 
Gerardfdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 207
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Have a query!
Does the infotainment system support .mp4 or .mkv video /movie files? I know that .flv are not and .avi are. Simillarly which music files other than mp3?
Gerardfdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 00:01   #2213
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I don't think they would ever be concerned. The malfunctioned unit will be replaced by OEM manufacturer as per contract. All M&M will be doing is send the defective parts to the corresponding OEM warehouse and get the replacement unit to their inventory. Same case with ICE as well. Nippon will replace them on a case to case basis. The catch is, like in many other industries, the old units will be refurbished by OEM at factory / service centre and added back to stock for further consumption.

-HCP
Are you sure they would keep on doing this even after warranty? If so, then its a relief cause these LED's are so prone to go off every now and then.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 11:30   #2214
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Are you sure they would keep on doing this even after warranty? If so, then its a relief cause these LED's are so prone to go off every now and then.
Dont think post warranty M&M would provide anything for free. The OEM might refurbish the part and sell it again, but then from a consumer POV we will still have to spend money for a new part. And I think that is the case for any gadget that we are using.

Just some thing else I had learnt about the cost of parts. Sometime back I met a Bosch engineer who also has an XUV. So in our discussion came the topic of the ECU's used in the car. It appeared he was part of the team or knew some people in the team within bosch who worked on the ECU's for XUV. He was saying that bosch sold the ECU's to M&M in bulk at a cost of around 3000-4000Rs per piece. And I remember my RM informing me that the ECU's would be costing around 25000-45000Rs, each unit, depending on the type of ECU. So if one of the ECU's goes bust post warranty, look at the amount of profit that M&M would make.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 12:17   #2215
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

On hard acceleration, my XUV starts vibrating like all hell broke loose! By vibration, I mean I can hear it and feel some amount of it on the door pads. Is this normal among all XUVs?

The clutch has been abused a lot by the present chauffeur, can the clutch be a reason?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 24th September 2013 at 12:20.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 22:22   #2216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Have a query! Does the infotainment system support .mp4 or .mkv video /movie files? I know that .flv are not and .avi are. Simillarly which music files other than mp3?
It supports -

Music - mp3, WMA9, CDDA
Video - .avi, .divx, .mpeg
spkingsley is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 00:14   #2217
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Are you sure they would keep on doing this even after warranty? If so, then its a relief cause these LED's are so prone to go off every now and then.
That will be a legally binding contract between the ODM and manufacturer to limit their losses. Normally companies will have terms in contract for shelf life and service life for each part. And also the term "defect" will be clearly defined for each of them. If any of them found to be defective the ODM will replace the piece within a specified time but equipment manufacturer will have to return the damaged copy back for refurbishing/ analysis.

After warranty you are entitled to get the damaged part back from the service center as it is paid by you. (Also note this way service center sneak in recycling overhead to end user, but I have also seen specifically some manufacturers take care of the re-cycling part as part of an effort to reduce their environment-footprint).
So once warranty is over don't even expect a wire tie for free. LED or the whole gearbox, you are on your own. But then you know what to do before the extended warranty is nearing an end

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 25th September 2013 at 00:16.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 21:33   #2218
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 113
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Hi,
My XUV ventures out only for long to very long drives, well majority of times. Persistent left pull, inspite of using all mine and M&M`s knowledge and skill to overcome it has proved futile. It used to stands out as a mildy sore thumb during the journeys till I found the desi solution of overcharging left tire to 35 psi and keeping the right one at 32psi.

Now another solution has been discovered, quite accidently and I desire to share it. Load the car with about 200 kgs at the back and it goes straight. Remove the load and the left pull returns. Tested on my car three times over and I share a very consistent result.

Seeking to understand the engg logic in the story, if any exists otherwise will accept it as one of those lovable idiosyncrasies of the car.
Cheers
PGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:02   #2219
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 537
Thanked: 635 Times
Default

Had a bit of hair raising incident last week when on the sea link, the steering jammed.

The hooter for the security system broke off and in turn snapped the accessory belt. The result was I couldn't steer. Luckily I was only doing about 80 kmph but any faster it could have been catastrophic.

Mahindra resolved the issue ASAP but the problem is that this issue is a known one and Mahindra needs to order a recall to fix it.

Moral of the story : please drive carefully and also ask the asc to check and/or replace the hooter mounting whenever you take it in for a service
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:43   #2220
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Had a bit of hair raising incident last week when on the sea link, the steering jammed.

The hooter for the security system broke off and in turn snapped the accessory belt. The result was I couldn't steer. Luckily I was only doing about 80 kmph but any faster it could have been catastrophic.

Mahindra resolved the issue ASAP but the problem is that this issue is a known one and Mahindra needs to order a recall to fix it.

Moral of the story : please drive carefully and also ask the asc to check and/or replace the hooter mounting whenever you take it in for a service
This is really bad. When they know the issue exists and know the most common repurcussions (accessories belt snapping) which could endanger the life of the vehicle occupants, a recall should have been made ages back.

M&M guys, you are risking the life of your customers and their families because of your false pride about your reputation! Not cool!
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks