Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 01:58   #2236
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 537
Thanked: 635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

I don't know, but I've been using stocks for last 12 months and till now no issues. May be because, I don't use auto feature at all.
I've used the stock headlights as well which are always in auto mode and touchwood, both eyes still work.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 08:43   #2237
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I would agree. I have never used Auto-headlights and still have managed to lose one low-beam bulb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Same here, i have never used Auto headlights still this. Though i remember once by accident the autolight switch got activated resulting car to stop (this was at night). Next day, one of the headlight conked off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I think this has nothing to do with Auto light. The bulb used is Blue vision from Philips and that by specification itself is a short life span bulb compared to normal halogens.

Try Philips Extreme vision bulbs. I am using it for more than 6 months and didnt have any issues. Also light output is slightly better than BV (May be due to clear glass).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I don't know, but I've been using stocks for last 12 months and till now no issues. May be because, I don't use auto feature at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've used the stock headlights as well which are always in auto mode and touchwood, both eyes still work.
I dont think Autolight by itself is the culprit here. I also have been using autolight extensively. Lost a pair of low beam bulbs just once. The reason given by RM , which I had mentioned earlier also, was cranking of the engine with the lights ON. Which means this could happen with the lights ON in manual mode also.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 22:38   #2238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: manipal
Posts: 54
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
I have completed 1000kms on my XUV AWD in the first month. I had my first serious issue apart from a few rattles from the rear seat and the hat (if I can say so) of the speedo dials. There were few drops of oil below the car where ever I have parked. I did get below the car today to have a look as to where is it leaking (photos attached). I found it to be leaking from the front differential, where the right front axle comes out. The drain nut seems to be alright. I hope it is not an oil seal failure.
Well friends I did get my oil seal fixed on the 14th of September, but oil is still leaking from the same area again . I have covered about 600km after the replacement (Odo reading at present 3000km). I have written a letter to the company (thanks to Heavy Horse for all the help & support) and am eagerly waiting for their response.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20130923-20.25.32.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002-17.47.07.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002-17.48.19.jpg  

manipal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 11:18   #2239
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The faulty sensor causes one more behaviour. Sometimes, the 'bonnet-open' error triggers the intrusion alarm at night, waking up the entire neighbourhood. Have you noticed that the car beeped a couple of times when you unlocked it in the morning? That's a sign that the alarm was triggered during the night. Please keep an eye on it and get it rectified soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thanks Sanjay. Well i havent ever heard any beep while locking or unlocking, so will keep an eye open. Talking about beep, does your car beeps when you lock/unlock normally?
Nitinralli, I had experienced this last night. While locking the doors, there was no beep, but the security came early morning informing the security alarm went off for few minutes.

While unlocking the doors in the morning, there was 4 beeps as if the doors were not locked properly (checked and reconfirmed that all doors were however locked and no door was unlocked).

Did you find a solution to this ?

Last edited by bnzjon : 5th October 2013 at 11:20.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 11:24   #2240
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 6,752 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Nitinralli, I had experienced this last night. While locking the doors, there was no beep, but the security came early morning informing the security alarm went off for few minutes.

While unlocking the doors in the morning, there was 4 beeps as if the doors were not locked properly (checked and reconfirmed that all doors were however locked and no door was unlocked).

Did you find a solution to this ?
Its a problem with shoddy workmanship rather than bad parts.

In this case, typically its the hood-sensor. Needs to be adjusted/aligned correctly. Fortunately once fixed, the problem does not reoccur.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 17:06   #2241
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Nitinralli, I had experienced this last night. While locking the doors, there was no beep, but the security came early morning informing the security alarm went off for few minutes.

While unlocking the doors in the morning, there was 4 beeps as if the doors were not locked properly (checked and reconfirmed that all doors were however locked and no door was unlocked).

Did you find a solution to this ?
Yes as Sanjay said, its the bonnet sensor thats the culprit. Infact i have sent my car today to get this fixed.
One thing strange though, i have never heard this beep when i unlock in morning. When i drive, i get this error multiple times so i am sure at night too it must have gone on atleast once. So why didnt i hear that beep? Hmm i hope i still have that siren somewhere under the bonnet and hope it has not fallen off
nitinralli is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 20:35   #2242
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 537
Thanked: 635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hmm i hope i still have that siren somewhere under the bonnet and hope it has not fallen off
Nitin, please do check if the siren is still there. It could get serious if it snaps the accessory belt while you're at high speed.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 10:16   #2243
BHPian
 
shrk_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I have been having inconsistent power delivery and horrible mileage issue for the past couple of months. Had a test drive about a month back or so with technical guys from Anant Cars, but nothing was found to be wrong with either boost pressure or with any other parameters. Turbo hoses, air filter was cleaned and the problem had gone away for a few days. But after a week or so it had come back again. So after one run of measuring the mileage using tank full method and inconsistent power delivery issues I went back to Anant Cars again today.

I was able to show one of their senior workshop guys the problem and he could figure out what I was trying to tell with inconsistent power delivery. To explain in simple words, the turbo kicking in was either absent or when it was present it was as though someone is trying to prevent it from kicking in but its trying its level best. So it used to be coming in and then gone again, it tries to come in again, gone the next moment.

They took another test drive today and they found the problem with the Vacuum Modulator EGR. There was an error code on their system when they connected the service laptop during the test run. So it was replaced on Friday. In addition to this, there has been some rodent infestation in the inter-cooler area with rat having scraped the inter-cooler fins. There was a lot of rat shit around. They recommended to replace the inter-cooler which costs about 6k. I got it replaced over the weekend and I am now installing an ultra-sound rat repellant. Let's hope this repellant does its work.

Another thing I noticed after the vacuum modulator has been replaced, the engine feels quieter, smoother and the turbo whine is slightly different. Hopefully this fixes the power delivery and mileage issues
shrk_18 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 11:17   #2244
BHPian
 
anandtheleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 329
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Here are a few photos of the new hooter assembly.
Attached Images
    
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 12:08   #2245
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

This is not a niggle, but an issue I am forced to face with the display screen. There happens to be a sticker on top of the screen and as it was slightly scratched in the centre areas one of my friends suggested taking off the sticker and putting one of those matte screen guards used for mobiles. And I thought that was a good idea. So went ahead and pulled out the sticker on top of the screen expecting it was just like the stickers on any new tv screens, monitors, mobile screens etc. But then the final outcome was disastrous as it left back a huge amount of gum on the screen. Tried cleaning it up with water, glass cleaner and even nail polish remover, but its just not coming off. And now the screen looks both ugly as well as difficult to see during the day.

Also in the process of getting it cleaned, made some small scratch at the top. Though not that visible when the screen is ON, I know it is there. :(. So any suggestion on how to clean this mess or is it possible to just get the screen replaced. Posting the images. These were taken in the dark, hence the screen when ON might not look that bad. Still the blurriness can be noticed. In bright day light, the entire area where there is gum is not at all visible.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002_170703.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002_170750.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002_171104.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-20131002_171038.jpg  

fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 13:07   #2246
Newbie
 
kamson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This is not a niggle, but an issue I am forced to face with the display screen. There happens to be a sticker on top of the screen and as it was slightly scratched in the centre areas one of my friends suggested taking off the sticker and putting one of those matte screen guards used for mobiles. And I thought that was a good idea. So went ahead and pulled out the sticker on top of the screen expecting it was just like the stickers on any new tv screens, monitors, mobile screens etc. But then the final outcome was disastrous as it left back a huge amount of gum on the screen. Tried cleaning it up with water, glass cleaner and even nail polish remover, but its just not coming off. And now the screen looks both ugly as well as difficult to see during the day.

Also in the process of getting it cleaned, made some small scratch at the top. Though not that visible when the screen is ON, I know it is there. :(. So any suggestion on how to clean this mess or is it possible to just get the screen replaced. Posting the images. These were taken in the dark, hence the screen when ON might not look that bad. Still the blurriness can be noticed. In bright day light, the entire area where there is gum is not at all visible.

FundaG
Maybe you can try any 3M outlet to fix the screen for you. Give them a call and send a picture to save yourself a trip if they decline.
kamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 18:45   #2247
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Nitin, please do check if the siren is still there. It could get serious if it snaps the accessory belt while you're at high speed.
Actually i totally forgot to mention this to RM yesterday when my car went for lowbeam, fog light and bonnet sensor replacement.

But then this brings up another question. Since my daily drive includes lot of Off-roading and really bad roads, i really doubt if that siren is still there. And if that siren has broken, it would have fallen off completely and out of the engine bay by now. Infact the kind of bad roads i use daily resulted in fog light getting misaligned (as told by RM). So my guess is, either its still hanging there where it should be or it has completely knocked out of engine bay.
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 09:57   #2248
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Tried cleaning it up with water, glass cleaner and even nail polish remover, but its just not coming off. And now the screen looks both ugly as well as difficult to see during the day.

Also in the process of getting it cleaned, made some small scratch at the top. Though not that visible when the screen is ON, I know it is there. :(. So any suggestion on how to clean this mess or is it possible to just get the screen replaced. Posting the images. These were taken in the dark, hence the screen when ON might not look that bad. Still the blurriness can be noticed. In bright day light, the entire area where there is gum is not at all visible.

FundaG
Using nail polish remover on a resistant touch screen is insane

You can buy screen cleaning liquid that comes with a soft cloth from any camera or mobile shop. Try to clean in with that. If it doesn't work I think the only option is to change the display. Yes you can get the display alone changed. May be Show it to RM and see can be replaced under warranty. The paper comes with XUV screen is just a protector for shipping. It is supposed to be taken out before actual usage and should come out without leaving any residue on screen. Who knows he may agree to replace.

I had taken out the display myself sometime back and reinstalled a glossy scratch resistant myself. Couldn't get exact measurement screen guard. So bought a laptop screen guard from staples and cut it to the XUV size. Since the Basel is covering the screen edges the rough edges of the screen guard is not visible.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 10:12   #2249
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Using nail polish remover on a resistant touch screen is insane

You can buy screen cleaning liquid that comes with a soft cloth from any camera or mobile shop. Try to clean in with that. If it doesn't work I think the only option is to change the display. Yes you can get the display alone changed. May be Show it to RM and see can be replaced under warranty. The paper comes with XUV screen is just a protector for shipping. It is supposed to be taken out before actual usage and should come out without leaving any residue on screen. Who knows he may agree to replace.

I had taken out the display myself sometime back and reinstalled a glossy scratch resistant myself. Couldn't get exact measurement screen guard. So bought a laptop screen guard from staples and cut it to the XUV size. Since the Basel is covering the screen edges the rough edges of the screen guard is not visible.
Thanks bro. I was also planning to do the same thing with the screen guard. Got an ipad screen guard to cut and install when this mess happened. When everything in hand failed, the only option left with me was nail polish remover at the point of time . I just wanted to get it cleaned up as seeing the screen so dirty was breaking my heart.

Now with the minor scratch, I would prefer replacing the screen overall rather than just getting it cleaned. By the way, wrt screen guard, which is better in the bright sunlight -- matte or glossy. I had used matte and glossy on my mobile screen, and felt matte one provided a slightly better visibility when the phone was used in bright sunlight. The reason I was thinking of installing a matte one on the screen.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 10:22   #2250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
So any suggestion on how to clean this mess or is it possible to just get the screen replaced. Posting the images.
FundaG
Try some cotton dipped in petrol. I have used it quite effectively on the back of my mobile, that had similar glue.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks