Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2014, 11:05   #2476
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,049
Thanked: 1,914 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by manipal View Post
So sad to hear that, specially with your family along. I do not understand why have they made one reservoir for both the clutch and brakes. It does not save much money anyways for the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
@manipal, not sure about that. Looks like the philosophy is to save every single rupee without much thought to the issues that might arise out of it!
Most vehicles have a single reservoir for brake and clutch anyways.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 21:04   #2477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

[quote="triedeverything;3350691"] It's not for ever... it's for that ignition cycle. The error codes will also be wiped out after the restart. So when you stop the engine and then restart, cruise will engage again. I completely agree with you. I find it ridiculous that I have to restart the engine to get it to work again. There's no reason to stop the function in that cycle. If it gets stuck, you disengage cruise automatically. But you should allow me to engage it again without having to stop the engine! I would call it a serious usability issue. But then again, maybe there's something we aren't aware of here.

The cruise control switch is digital switch and the ECU expects discreet signals (clicks). Each click increases the speed by about 6 Kms/hr. The clicks are for fine tuning the desired speed after setting the desired speed by accelerating up to the desired speed using accelerator pedal and then pressing the SET+ button. Once the desired speed is set , it can be further fine tuned using clicks of the SET button either up or down .

As the ECU expects only clicks, a continuously pressed switch will give an incorrect indication to the ECU on possibility of a mechanically stuck switch. Being a potential safety concern, the ECU deactivates the cruise function.

Why engine restart is required ?

Once the ECU deactivates the cruise, it cannot know whether the switch is ok or not. This activity is done when the ignition is switched ON when the ECU runs error check on all switches and sensors and checks for errors, like a subroutine. This is when all the lamps in the instrument cluster comes on and then goes off. After getting a clear ok from cruise switch, the ECU re-activates the cruise function. As the error checking routine happens during ignition reset, it is required to switch off the ignition and turn it on.

ECUs have safe routines on all such electronic circuit items which control the engine, for our safety.

Some other reasons for cruise getting deactivated are due to problems in brake pedal sensors and clutch pedal sensors, which are also connected to cruise function.
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 12:46   #2478
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
Finally, after being stuck at NICE road for close to 3 hours (that too in the scorching sun), the cheetah was towed to Sireesh Auto service center at Marthahalli.
Long story short, I still love the Cheetah!
It's amazing how people continue loving their rides, even when it strands them in the middle of a lonely road.
Fiat owners are another group who continue loving their cars even when the car makes them visit ASS regularly.
I can attribute this behaviour to basic human psychology, which makes them project to the world that they didn't made a wrong decision in buying a particular failure prone product, even though deep inside they might be cursing themselves for making that bad decision.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 08:56   #2479
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 234
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Update on my CC niggle
The vehicle was at the SS last weekend and I'm told that everything was checked. I couldn't be there to inspect their work. There was no error code this time and the wiring were all right.
However, when I tried to use the CC, by pressing the + button, it didn't work. Pressure the 'Cruise Off' and then the + button, did bring up the CC.
In my 300km long drive, the CC disengaged itself 6 times to be exact and there was no pattern. I drove for 32 mins to be precise, before the CC disengaged and in the next case it was 2 mins after CC was engaged.
I'm not convinced that I have a niggle free CC. However I shall observe this for the next few days ad I have a 1000km trip coming up shortly and there's ample opportunity to test out the CC.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 17:31   #2480
Newbie
 
Perplexed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 11
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
It's amazing how people continue loving their rides, even when it strands them in the middle of a lonely road.
Fiat owners are another group who continue loving their cars even when the car makes them visit ASS regularly.
I can attribute this behaviour to basic human psychology, which makes them project to the world that they didn't made a wrong decision in buying a particular failure prone product, even though deep inside they might be cursing themselves for making that bad decision.
@chaudh2s, with all due respect, I dont remember a single instance when I have cursed myself for purchasing the XUV. While I do agree that I was disappointed with the customer service personnel who had no clue on how to help me, I still believe that the XUV is an amazing vehicle in its league. Every time I drive down to Chennai or to Kerala, my love for the cheetah has only increased. And despite all the mayhem last week, I am planning to do another drive to Kerala this weekend! And while driving on highways, just watching the bonnet and seeing everything else fly-by always give me goose bumps!
Perplexed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 18:19   #2481
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
It's amazing how people continue loving their rides, even when it strands them in the middle of a lonely road.
Fiat owners are another group who continue loving their cars even when the car makes them visit ASS regularly.
I can attribute this behaviour to basic human psychology, which makes them project to the world that they didn't made a wrong decision in buying a particular failure prone product, even though deep inside they might be cursing themselves for making that bad decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
@chaudh2s, with all due respect, I dont remember a single instance when I have cursed myself for purchasing the XUV. While I do agree that I was disappointed with the customer service personnel who had no clue on how to help me, I still believe that the XUV is an amazing vehicle in its league. Every time I drive down to Chennai or to Kerala, my love for the cheetah has only increased. And despite all the mayhem last week, I am planning to do another drive to Kerala this weekend! And while driving on highways, just watching the bonnet and seeing everything else fly-by always give me goose bumps!
Totally agree with you Perplexed. Every car irrespective of the brand or price is prone to failures. But then if the joy of owning and using the car overshadows these issues, thats what matters. And though most of the XUV owners might have faced some issue or the other with their ride, the feeling is always admiration for this beast, me included. And dont think this love is just to project to the world but more of something that truly comes from the heart. Again in forums like Tbhp, I dont think projecting such untrue feelings just for sake is going to impress anyone.

Infact I have seen owners of other brands (that too high-end ones) openly cursing their rides, service centres and manufactures. There are even highly active threads for this. But none of the XUV owners I have interacted with, both here and in person, ever had such an attitude towards their beast. Since I never owned a Fiat, no comments on this.

FundaG
fundagenie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 20:32   #2482
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Since most of you guys have reported bulbs being conked off every now and then, there is a solution for it from Mahindra. There is a "NEW IMPROVED" wiring set. I had this "NEW" wiring set installed last weekend and hope this niggle goes out, will report how it goes on (till then all 20 fingers crossed )

So anyone else facing this issue, ask for this new set (under warranty of course).
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 20:44   #2483
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,500
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Since most of you guys have reported bulbs being conked off every now and then, there is a solution for it from Mahindra. There is a "NEW IMPROVED" wiring set. I had this "NEW" wiring set installed last weekend and hope this niggle goes out, will report how it goes on (till then all 20 fingers crossed )

So anyone else facing this issue, ask for this new set (under warranty of course).
I think this new wire harness is all about a longer wire than what came by default. That wire to the holder was so short that it used to remain stretched (I have that variety) and apparently they figured that such high strung wire causes sparks on the holder end, due to jerking etc, and causes the bulb to fuse. Do not know how accurate this diagnosis was though! My car only had one bulb fuse instance after close to 19-20k on the clock.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 21:08   #2484
BHPian
 
PMK-MoJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KA51/AP07
Posts: 120
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Since most of you guys have reported bulbs being conked off every now and then, there is a solution for it from Mahindra.
=========
So anyone else facing this issue, ask for this new set (under warranty of course).
Any idea whether this upgrade is applicable for November 2013 manufactured vehicels also?
PMK-MoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 21:36   #2485
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Since most of you guys have reported bulbs being conked off every now and then, there is a solution for it from Mahindra. There is a "NEW IMPROVED" wiring set. I had this "NEW" wiring set installed last weekend and hope this niggle goes out, will report how it goes on (till then all 20 fingers crossed )

So anyone else facing this issue, ask for this new set (under warranty of course).
Nitin, isn't that a major operation? Heard that there is a single wiring harness for ALL electricals in the XUV. So replacing that means opening up each internal panel to remove all the wiring.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 22:27   #2486
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think this new wire harness is all about a longer wire than what came by default. That wire to the holder was so short that it used to remain stretched (I have that variety) and apparently they figured that such high strung wire causes sparks on the holder end, due to jerking etc, and causes the bulb to fuse. Do not know how accurate this diagnosis was though! My car only had one bulb fuse instance after close to 19-20k on the clock.
Even i am little skeptical about this cause i heard this story too. Hope it was this issue only and longer version finally solved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
Any idea whether this upgrade is applicable for November 2013 manufactured vehicels also?
I am not sure, though i have seen/heard from 2013 batch people that they too had this issue now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Nitin, isn't that a major operation? Heard that there is a single wiring harness for ALL electricals in the XUV. So replacing that means opening up each internal panel to remove all the wiring.
The front bumper was removed and wiring was changed as it connects all lights in front (Low/High and Fog lights). Process time was 3-4 hours. Not sure if all electric harness were changed as i have a sound processor installed (hidden of course) so if wiring was changed for all electricals, my processor would have stop working as it has auto cut off as a protection.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 00:25   #2487
BHPian
 
Jred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Totally agree with you Perplexed. E
====Since I never owned a Fiat, no comments on this.

FundaG

I couldn't agree with you more. All vehicles come with their own flaws. I have read a few Skoda related threads lately too. Much of the niggles have been minor. What I liked was the fact that in my case the RM proactively identified there could be issue with CSC later and replaced it under warranty.

While I do agree a bit with the comment of psych of an owner to support the decision of buying a bad product, I wouldn't agree about this when it comes to my beast. I love it and am enjoying the drives so far.
Jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 23:19   #2488
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

chaud2s,
I think "cursing themselves for making that bad decision." is a bit too harsh. I do agree with your psychological assessment that in general, we as humans tend to justify our decisions - right or wrong since we find it difficult to digest the fact that we might have goofed up. XUV definitely has its shares of issues, and some them are serious - clutch slave cylinder failure, braking issues in earlier models, many stories of people getting stranded in the middle of the road, in some cases cruise control supposedly going dead for good, an average suspension - none of which can be brushed off as a "niggles". They are surely more serious and would qualify as product quality issues. However, if the owners/potential buyers choose to ignore them and still fall in love with this car which has so many other good things going for it, it has to be called a case of prioritization (i.e. I am ready to live with these failures/issues for the sheer joy of driving this car) and making a conscious decision. Calling it a mere psychological justification is being unfairly critical of them. It's like how we are with our friends or our children - we know they have shortcomings, some of which may be serious too but we still love spending time with them, we still argue in their favour when they are attacked
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 12:20   #2489
BHPian
 
debuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 402
Thanked: 1,287 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
It's amazing how people continue loving their rides, even when it strands them in the middle of a lonely road.

I can attribute this behaviour to basic human psychology, which makes them project to the world that they didn't made a wrong decision in buying a particular failure prone product, even though deep inside they might be cursing themselves for making that bad decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
@chaudh2s, with all due respect, I dont remember a single instance when I have cursed myself for purchasing the XUV. While I do agree that I was disappointed with the customer service personnel who had no clue on how to help me, I still believe that the XUV is an amazing vehicle in its league. Every time I drive down to Chennai or to Kerala, my love for the cheetah has only increased. And despite all the mayhem last week, I am planning to do another drive to Kerala this weekend! And while driving on highways, just watching the bonnet and seeing everything else fly-by always give me goose bumps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Totally agree with you Perplexed. Every car irrespective of the brand or price is prone to failures. But then if the joy of owning and using the car overshadows these issues, thats what matters. And though most of the XUV owners might have faced some issue or the other with their ride, the feeling is always admiration for this beast, me included. And dont think this love is just to project to the world but more of something that truly comes from the heart. Again in forums like Tbhp, I dont think projecting such untrue feelings just for sake is going to impress anyone.

Infact I have seen owners of other brands (that too high-end ones) openly cursing their rides, service centres and manufactures. There are even highly active threads for this. But none of the XUV owners I have interacted with, both here and in person, ever had such an attitude towards their beast.
FundaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. All vehicles come with their own flaws. I have read a few Skoda related threads lately too. Much of the niggles have been minor. What I liked was the fact that in my case the RM proactively identified there could be issue with CSC later and replaced it under warranty.

While I do agree a bit with the comment of psych of an owner to support the decision of buying a bad product, I wouldn't agree about this when it comes to my beast. I love it and am enjoying the drives so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
chaud2s,
I think "cursing themselves for making that bad decision." is a bit too harsh. I do agree with your psychological assessment that in general, we as humans tend to justify our decisions - right or wrong since we find it difficult to digest the fact that we might have goofed up. XUV definitely has its shares of issues, and some them are serious - clutch slave cylinder failure, braking issues in earlier models, many stories of people getting stranded in the middle of the road, in some cases cruise control supposedly going dead for good, an average suspension - none of which can be brushed off as a "niggles". They are surely more serious and would qualify as product quality issues. However, if the owners/potential buyers choose to ignore them and still fall in love with this car which has so many other good things going for it, it has to be called a case of prioritization (i.e. I am ready to live with these failures/issues for the sheer joy of driving this car) and making a conscious decision. Calling it a mere psychological justification is being unfairly critical of them. It's like how we are with our friends or our children - we know they have shortcomings, some of which may be serious too but we still love spending time with them, we still argue in their favour when they are attacked

The comments of chaudh2s seem to have triggered a lively discussion which I have been following with great interest. Here is my 2 cents :

1) Basically, I tend to agree with chaudh2s in that it is common human nature to mentally justify one's major decisions, especially if those decisions cannot be easily reversed. Examples of such decisions are marriage, financial investments, buying expensive things like a house or car, etc. When one goofs up in such decisions, one looks like a fool in one's own opinion, leave alone the opinion of others. The defense mechanism that automatically kicks in is to justify the doubtful decision by overplaying the positives and underplaying the negatives in one's mind.

2) Coming to the specific case of XUV ownership, there is no denying the fact that many XUV owners have faced problems, including major ones, in their brand new cars. Though personally I have faced relatively few (not nil) problems, somewhere at the back of my mind there are always lingering doubts about the reliability of the car due to numerous reports of breakdowns of other people's XUVs. When I drive in a remote region in Ladakh or North Sikkim, I do worry whether my clutch pedal will get stuck or steering will fail. If a car is designed and developed in the 21st century by a car maker with considerable experience, why should there be so many complaints involving critical things like clutch, steering, brakes, wheel alignment, etc? Even the relatively less critical problems actually faced by me such as music system packing up, horns going dead twice and suspension / body squeaks are not acceptable in a brand new car costing 15 lakhs. Probably as third world consumers who are not used to the reliability that is taken for granted by consumers in advanced countries, we tend to be more forgiving.

3) Coming to the bottomline -- if I'm given a free ride in a time machine and taken to the period in the past when I was planning to buy a SUV, would I still buy the XUV? My answer is far from an overwhelming yes as of today. It may become a clear NO if my XUV suffers major breakdowns and problems in the future. It may also become an overwhelming YES if a few years (and 200,000 km) down the line my XUV continues to give me good and reliable service.
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 16:58   #2490
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Thanks Debuda for corroborating my stand!
The thing is, before 1983 we had all ambassadors, fiat(PAL) and mahindra jeeps ruling the roads and they were all notorious for their unreliable nature. In 1983 maruti came along and with it, came a paradigm change in the reliability quotient of automobiles in India.

People slowly got used to reliable fuss free cars (fill it shut it forget it types) as the marutis were super reliable.
But, whats happening nowadays is [ever since mahindra, tata, fiat(due to it's association with tata) etc] have entered into passenger vehicle domain is, that a lot of first time car buyers are buying these unreliable cars and are projecting to the world, that it's OKAY for an automobile to be a little bit (as per them) unreliable and that's how it works. This is a totally unacceptable.

An automobile can be every bit as reliable as a washing machine, it's just that the Indian car manufacturers are making us general public, guinea pigs and save on their r&d costs by making life of us mango men, hell.
I don't know how many of you have thought about it, but a car whose electronics and mechanicals are so unreliable, how can you be sure that parts such as airbags, ESP, etc which donot come into action in a day to day scenario would work, when you would need them most?

You spend so much to buy a top variant, hoping that your money would give safety to your loved ones. But, even this is not guaranteed with these companies. It's like cheating for me!
I have got my hands burnt on a fiat (fell for it's looks and solid build rant by fellow BHPians), have now sold it. Love the XUV every bit, but cannot be a fool and buy another Tata, fiat or mahindra.
Like GTO once said, "peace of mind is something, you donot value, untill you loose it." Very rightly said, Sir!!
PS: These were my personal views and are generic in nature and not directed at any particular BHPian. So don't take them by heart, everybody has a right to his/her views.

Last edited by chaudh2s : 31st January 2014 at 16:59.
chaudh2s is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks