Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2014, 15:09   #2776
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quick question, has anyone replaced the battery yet! Any idea about the battery life for the model we have(I have Exide, if I remember it right). I have been observing that the speedo needle making another full round on a cold start, usually first time in the morning, doesn't happen later in the day. Once I also observed the IS reset during my stop/start function at a traffic signal (this happened only a couple times so far), I guess, I see the battery light glowing longer for about another second or two compared to what I used to see earlier (during cold start only), going to get more observations recorded. However, thought of checking with some of you to find out if anyone has observed such behavior! Mine is 26 months old car now @45K kilometers. EDIT: I use stop/start function about 95% of time in the city, don't use it on my highway drives.
Thanks.
Ketan

Last edited by Ketan : 16th August 2014 at 15:10.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 00:55   #2777
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Quick question, has anyone replaced the battery yet! Any idea about the battery life for the model we have(I have Exide, if I remember it right). I have been observing that the speedo needle making another full round on a cold start, usually first time in the morning, doesn't happen later in the day. Once I also observed the IS reset during my stop/start function at a traffic signal (this happened only a couple times so far), I guess, I see the battery light glowing longer for about another second or two compared to what I used to see earlier (during cold start only), going to get more observations recorded. However, thought of checking with some of you to find out if anyone has observed such behavior! Mine is 26 months old car now @45K kilometers. EDIT: I use stop/start function about 95% of time in the city, don't use it on my highway drives.
Thanks.
Ketan
Though i don't use start stop crap but i have 2 amps running so i guess they juice more than start stop thing even after almost 3 years, but i haven't felt the need for a battery replacement till now. I guess go for Amaron.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 07:28   #2778
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,143
Thanked: 3,833 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Any idea about the battery life
Why don't you buy a voltmeter and check the battery's voltage yourself? I check my XUV 500's battery's voltage once in a month. I bought a voltmeter from DX, which is very useful. The details are here (Cara Mia Fiat Linea!).



J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 23:08   #2779
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Why don't you buy a voltmeter and check the battery's voltage yourself?
Thank you J.Ravi,
I just connected my OBDII and used a free app to check this out. it seems, mine is not in great condition it seems. I need to check with the RM. I was expecting longer than 2 years form this battery, it seems its the start/stop which may have caused the battery to die early!! or do you think about 2 years is the life of this battery! Here are the two of them, one is recorded without engine running and the second is with engine running.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-wp_ss_20140818_00041.png  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-wp_ss_20140818_00071.png  

Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 17:08   #2780
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kempton Park
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

My XUV's tyres squeal for anything. Or is it nothing. On pull away when taking corners when breaking anytime. And no the obvious poor driving is not at issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it perhaps related to the noisy front suspension?

I have a similiar problem with the low beams. They were good once. The fuse for the static bend lights keeps blowing. Any ideas please?

The radio unit on my car has been replaced due to poor reception. Since then it has a very irritating electronic humming noise. Can someone explain how one gets to the back of the unit to check connections, please.

Is there a "workshop Manual" available ?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2014 at 17:41. Reason: Back to back posts.
vorsteja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 17:37   #2781
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 586
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you J.Ravi,
I just connected my OBDII and used a free app to check this out. it seems, mine is not in great condition it seems. I need to check with the RM. I was expecting longer than 2 years form this battery, it seems its the start/stop which may have caused the battery to die early!! or do you think about 2 years is the life of this battery! Here are the two of them, one is recorded without engine running and the second is with engine running.
2 years is too early for a battery to die. Somehow the battery is not getting fully charged. What is the daily travel distance? How many times the engine gets cranked? While at the service center, get the alternator also checked - a bad regulator can cause less voltage, leading to low battery charging current.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:49   #2782
BHPian
 
rajesh.sml's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 63
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Though i don't use start stop crap but i have 2 amps running so i guess they juice more than start stop thing even after almost 3 years, but i haven't felt the need for a battery replacement till now. I guess go for Amaron.
Nitin need help to understand that why are you calling the Hybrid feature of Start Stop a Crap. Mahindra has been selling this as value add feature in Scorpio and XUV ?
rajesh.sml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:09   #2783
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
Nitin need help to understand that why are you calling the Hybrid feature of Start Stop a Crap. Mahindra has been selling this as value add feature in Scorpio and XUV ?
Just my personnel opinion Rajesh. This so called feature is not meant according to me for a person living in HOT country like India. Every time it shuts down the engine, AC too goes off, which is a real discomfort. Not to forget that it puts extra pressure on the battery every time it goes off and comes on again. Thats the reason i had bulbs conking off whenever i had this ON by mistake. It also puts pressure on your music/nav system. Hence i really doubt it saves anything. Even without using this "feature" i am getting a mileage of 12 in city.
Just my 2 cents.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 22:36   #2784
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you J.Ravi,
I just connected my OBDII and used a free app to check this out. it seems, mine is not in great condition it seems. I need to check with the RM. I was expecting longer than 2 years form this battery, it seems its the start/stop which may have caused the battery to die early!! or do you think about 2 years is the life of this battery! Here are the two of them, one is recorded without engine running and the second is with engine running.
What app are you using?
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 21:55   #2785
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Just my personnel opinion Rajesh. This so called feature is not meant according to me for a person living in HOT country like India. Every time it shuts down the engine, AC too goes off, which is a real discomfort. Not to forget that it puts extra pressure on the battery every time it goes off and comes on again. Thats the reason i had bulbs conking off whenever i had this ON by mistake. It also puts pressure on your music/nav system. Hence i really doubt it saves anything. Even without using this "feature" i am getting a mileage of 12 in city.

Just my 2 cents.

this link explains start-stop
spkingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 23:46   #2786
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,117
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
this link explains start-stop
Yes we know that, but it does not cater to my issues as mentioned below. So i still feel its "Crap". Just a gimmick in my opinion.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 14:01   #2787
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes we know that, but it does not cater to my issues as mentioned below. So i still feel its "Crap". Just a gimmick in my opinion.

Let me explain the constraints and features.

AC compressor - being a mechanical compressor driven by the engine, the compressor will stop when the engine stops leading circulation of ac gas in the system. Yes , this is a short coming as the cooling stops but the blower remains ON. Probably for short stops this is bearable. The solution is an electro-mechanical AC compressor which runs on battery when the engine stopped. Probably we might see in some newer launches.

Headlamp bulb - voltage fluctuations during start-stop operation leading to bulb problems is not correct. Heavy load circuits like Headlamps, HVAC system , power windows etc are routed through a different circuit called ACC. Whenever the engine is started either by ignition key or by the start -stop system, the ACC circuit is completely disconnected. Hence voltage drop due to starter load is isolated from all major electrical and electronic circuits, this is seen as headlamp "dimming" during starting. However it is not dimming , it is cut off cleanly as if using the headlamp switch

Start-stop does give a 2-5% improvement on fuel consumption...
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 22:04   #2788
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
What app are you using?
OBD Info-san (trial) for Windows Phone is what I was using. There were couple more of them, but I guess Android has many more apps, I was waiting for Torque to come to WP platform, I guess, its yet to arrive. I'm looking for a decent/better (giving decent features) OBD II app for Windows Phone or Windows 8.1 pro (tab) that I can use.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 22:42   #2789
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

I am seeing that the infotainment system in XUV does not read from folders in a USB drive..is that normal?
gpriyesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 00:08   #2790
Newbie
 
ratheeshba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

My XUV does read from folders.
ratheeshba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks