Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 13:25   #3706
BHPian
 
username's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 78
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I can understand your concern. I too had a similar experience on Day 1 of my XUV last year.

Would suggest you call up Mahindra customer care, and explain your concern. They will arrange for a full check-up of your vehicle if required. One good thing i have learned about Mahindra is, atleast their customer service department is good - Every complaint is taken seriously and addressed properly.

Worst case, you may also write to Sanjoy Gupta (gupta.sanjoy@mahindra.com), Vice President Customer Care, Automotive Division and explain your concern.
username is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 13:51   #3707
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 16 Times
Smile Regarding Urethane Shock Absorbers Pad

All,

I got to know from a local shop about urethane shock absorbers which can be installed in the shock absorber springs and which give a better ride quality. I did a bit of finding at my side and could see some You tube video showing ease of installation as well as change in ride quality.

Any inputs on this. Has anyone done this on XUV ( and any positive change seen in ride quality)

Or for that matter has anyone done / know someone who has done in any other vehicle, where we can get a reference.


Regards,

Balpreet
balpreetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 14:30   #3708
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Default Re: Regarding Urethane Shock Absorbers Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpreetsingh View Post
All,

I got to know from a local shop about urethane shock absorbers which can be installed in the shock absorber springs and which give a better ride quality. I did a bit of finding at my side and could see some You tube video showing ease of installation as well as change in ride quality.

Any inputs on this. Has anyone done this on XUV ( and any positive change seen in ride quality)

Or for that matter has anyone done / know someone who has done in any other vehicle, where we can get a reference.


Regards,

Balpreet
Avoidable, if you ask me. Those things worsen the ride in many cases and have a tendency to pop out completely during a heavy impact (like hitting a pothole or speedbreaker at relatively high speed).

If you are absolutely not happy with the XUV's ride, may be have a look at replacing the springs or the complete struts with aftermarket ones e.g. Tein

PS: Its fairly costly option. Just the springs cost 40K INR IIRC
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2015, 13:44   #3709
BHPian
 
Turbo_Torq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 180
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Regarding Urethane Shock Absorbers Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Avoidable, if you ask me. Those things worsen the ride in many cases and have a tendency to pop out completely during a heavy impact (like hitting a pothole or speedbreaker at relatively high speed).

If you are absolutely not happy with the XUV's ride, may be have a look at replacing the springs or the complete struts with aftermarket ones e.g. Tein

PS: Its fairly costly option. Just the springs cost 40K INR IIRC
I may be wrong but didn't GTO have such a mod done to his Civic to keep the suspension from bottoming out?
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2015, 17:02   #3710
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Default Re: Regarding Urethane Shock Absorbers Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
I may be wrong but didn't GTO have such a mod done to his Civic to keep the suspension from bottoming out?
As per my understanding, GTO installed a similar product because:
1. Civic's suspension is on the softer side. The rear tends to sag and scrape over speedbumps when the car is loaded. So the mod (no pun intended) increased the ride height of the Civic.
2. Civic's ride can get a bit bouncy due to the soft suspension. The modification that he did stiffens the suspension (by restricting the compression of part of the coil) and improves the ride.

Coming back to the original post by Balpreet, I don't believe XUV has any of the 2 issues which were faced by the Civic viz. low ride height (rear scrapes over speed-bumps) and ride quality being on the softer side (bouncy rear).

That's why I believe this mod might just make the ride harsher in case of the XUV.

Last edited by SDP : 28th December 2015 at 17:04.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 07:27   #3711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
A question to the first gen XUV W8 owners who had opted for the night vision parking camera from Mahindra.

The way the camera is installed in my car, I get to see the feed only while the reverse gear is engaged. The infotainment systems have an option for the Rev Camera. If I select this, it shows a blank screen with an "EXIT" button on the bottom right. Is this behaviour normal ? Or is the camera installed the wrong way.

I did bring this up during the last service, but the service center guy wasn't sure about the installation. He gave me a standard reply that it's like that in all XUVs, though I am not convinced.
I had installed reverse camera from the dealer after Delivery and found this issue of camera not working when selecting the option through infotainment screen. Raised this issue with service manager and got it rewired. They had a additional line powering camera from the plug at the rear seat. Now camera is working through both options. It is true that camera is powered always. But I am running like this for past 1 year and no issues so far.
gpriyesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 14:18   #3712
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Friends
I have 2 questions/problems and need your suggestions/thoughts.

1. I have done 45k in my xuv500 W8- 2013 model. Though the Bridgestone Dueler stock tyres are good for another 5k, i am thinking of replacing them as i am not comfortable in certain braking and cornering these days.
I find that only Michelin Latitude Tour HP has the same 235/65-R17 spec and neither Yokohama nor Pirelli have it. I had read SDP's earlier post on this and am inclined towards Michelin, as there doesn't seem to be a choice. The only thing that i am worried about is Michelin has soft side walls and when i was talking to Tyre Empire in Bangalore , they were asking me to go in for Pirelli which costs almost 2k less per tyre when compared to Michelin.
I would like to know your thoughts on this and if some of you have chosen Pirelli or Yokohama , what specs is best suited for xuv500.

2. The infotainment system reboots whenever the ignition is turned on with key and as well as with the Start/Stop enabled. The service center folks in Anant Cars have not been able to figure it out till date. Also my Android 5.1 phone takes about 30 minutes to get connected with the Bluetooth/Infotainment system as it always displays "Synchronizing...". Has it got something to do with the Android version , as i did not face this with my HTC KitKtat earlier or does the Infotainment software needs some update.

Thanks & Warm Regards
WheelWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 15:02   #3713
BHPian
 
avimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWizard View Post
Friends

2. The infotainment system reboots whenever the ignition is turned on with key and as well as with the Start/Stop enabled. The service center folks in Anant Cars have not been able to figure it out till date.
check your battery. I was told that this is due to weaker battery. After I replaced my battery, same problem went away for me. Ask someone to check the cells in battery.
avimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 15:06   #3714
BHPian
 
fundagenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 443
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

3.5 yrs of ownership. Approx 48000kms done.And still in love with the beast. However, feel its high time some things gets sorted out and want to know what are the options or best solutions

1. Lot of creaking noises especially when driving on uneven roads. Last time , the service centre guys said it was due to the seats and refixed it. But I feel the creaking noise has only increased with time. So would it be the seats or overall body. What can be done?
2. Suspension seems to have gone totally hard with a lot of throwing around. Would changing of the bushes sort it out. And are these covered under extended warranty
3. Info system restarts everytime the car is cranked. Thought it was a battery issue initially, but even with the new battery installed the issue still remains . Also info system gets rebooted once in a while while driving. So believe the solution would be a silver box replacement. Again is this covered under extended warranty
3. Maps and software needs updates. Been almost a year since any updates done.
4. One of the seatbelt holders in the 2nd row broke while i was trying to insert the seat belt into it.
5. Outside smell seeping in, when in recirculation mode. Though it was strong earlier, some adjustment during the last service centre visit has made it better. Still when driving through a stench for long, there is some seeping in. Is there be a solution to get this sorted without dismantling the entire dashboard
6. Gear shifting is not as smooth as earlier. Believe its time for a oil change considering just 2000kms short of 50k service and sort it out.

FundaG.
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 23:33   #3715
BHPian
 
WildInstincts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chn<>Coimbatore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

All,

Not sure if the below is common or I have got a defective tyre. Looking for your feedback on the below.

My XUV came with stock Bridgestone Dueler. It's 6 months old now and 7,500 KMs on it. Whenever I break tad hard (not a panic breaking) even at a very nominal speed (around 70Kmph), the tyres make screeching noise. It scares people both inside and outside the car. It sounds as if breaks are applied very hard at a very high speed. Is this common for XUV 5OO with Bridgestone Duelers? Worried if I have got a defective tyre. Appreciate your response.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. Please move if this is not the right thread.

Last edited by WildInstincts : 5th January 2016 at 00:00.
WildInstincts is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 00:57   #3716
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 1,247 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
All,

Not sure if the below is common or I have got a defective tyre. Looking for your feedback on the below.

My XUV came with stock Bridgestone Dueler. It's 6 months old now and 7,500 KMs on it. Whenever I break tad hard (not a panic breaking) even at a very nominal speed (around 70Kmph), the tyres make screeching noise. It scares people both inside and outside the car. It sounds as if breaks are applied very hard at a very high speed. Is this common for XUV 5OO with Bridgestone Duelers? Worried if I have got a defective tyre. Appreciate your response.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. Please move if this is not the right thread.
Its absolutely normal, Thats how the duelers sound, Go into a corner a little quick, You'll hear the noise, Brake a little hard, You'll hear it, Floor the pedal (FWD) you'll hear it.

Enjoy the cheetah stop worrying, Its just the noise you need to get used to, The tyre itself is decently grippy.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 12:23   #3717
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 381
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Do not know whether anyone has experienced this.

My W8 - 2012's Steering is not on free flow mode. Looks like the locks have gone and thankfully no issues while driving. It now stays on the lower bottom of the steering adjust and I can easily move them around without removing the locks while the car is on roll.
Also about a week back, the Red Notification of the Air Bag Malfunction has also come out, suspect this in alignment to the Airbag on the steering wheel.

1. It is now nearing 70K, and I am also getting the new set of tyres even though my duelers may still do another 5K or more.

2. Another addition would be an end to an poor low beam issue, getting P8 55W 4300K HIDs on the projectors. Does anyone know how we can arrange the lights to formation Mahindra Suggests on their web page.

3. Also have to get my infotainment display replaced, as it got damaged while my brother pulled of the screen guard stickers. Can we get screenguards like what we have for our mobile phones to be placed on the same ?

I am sure 5' tablets are there in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWizard View Post
Friends
I have 2 questions/problems and need your suggestions/thoughts.

1. I have done 45k in my xuv500 W8- 2013 model. Though the Bridgestone Dueler stock tyres are good for another 5k, i am thinking of replacing them as i am not comfortable in certain braking and cornering these days.
I find that only Michelin Latitude Tour HP has the same 235/65-R17 spec and neither Yokohama nor Pirelli have it. I had read SDP's earlier post on this and am inclined towards Michelin, as there doesn't seem to be a choice. The only thing that i am worried about is Michelin has soft side walls and when i was talking to Tyre Empire in Bangalore , they were asking me to go in for Pirelli which costs almost 2k less per tyre when compared to Michelin.
I would like to know your thoughts on this and if some of you have chosen Pirelli or Yokohama , what specs is best suited for xuv500.
I do not have an answer to your question.

My 2012 W8 is on 70K and running with the stock Duelers. It will survive another 5K for sure, and am actively looking for new sets. I am planning to stick to the same so that, it will stay there for another 60K or above.

Can you tell me how MIchelin is compared to the Bridgestones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
3.5 yrs of ownership. Approx 48000kms done.And still in love with the beast. However, feel its high time some things gets sorted out and want to know what are the options or best solutions

1. Lot of creaking noises especially when driving on uneven roads. Last time , the service centre guys said it was due to the seats and refixed it. But I feel the creaking noise has only increased with time. So would it be the seats or overall body. What can be done?
This is something that you have to bear with. Compare this to an Innova, the Cheetah has a lot of sqeeks and creaks on patchy or bad roads.
The MASS may also not be the best helpful source here, what I would suggest is, identify each and every single points within your car across three rows on the same road and of course you can easily sort out close to 50% or more of them by inserting Double Side Tapes, Sponge inserts and also tightening/realigning screws. And for the rest of them take it to MASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
2. Suspension seems to have gone totally hard with a lot of throwing around. Would changing of the bushes sort it out. And are these covered under extended warranty
Yes of course they are covered under warranty. I got my front LHS suspension replaced just coz it made some "thud" noise on patchy roads. Mahindra is the best at getting stuff replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
3. Info system restarts everytime the car is cranked. Thought it was a battery issue initially, but even with the new battery installed the issue still remains . Also info system gets rebooted once in a while while driving. So believe the solution would be a silver box replacement. Again is this covered under extended warranty
Looks more like a wiring/software issue than something irreparable.

And of course it is covered under warranty and I had got my infotainment unit replaced coz of the faulty USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
4. One of the seatbelt holders in the 2nd row broke while i was trying to insert the seat belt into it.
This is shocking. Did you find out why this happened ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
5. Outside smell seeping in, when in recirculation mode. Though it was strong earlier, some adjustment during the last service centre visit has made it better. Still when driving through a stench for long, there is some seeping in. Is there be a solution to get this sorted without dismantling the entire dashboard
Replacing the air inflow shutters is the solution according to MASS/Mahindra. I had got that done. Older cars came with poor quality Shutters. Not sure of solutions without dismantling the dash.

Mine is on running on 70Ks. Have a lot of work planned this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
All,

Not sure if the below is common or I have got a defective tyre. Looking for your feedback on the below.

My XUV came with stock Bridgestone Dueler. It's 6 months old now and 7,500 KMs on it. Whenever I break tad hard (not a panic breaking) even at a very nominal speed (around 70Kmph), the tyres make screeching noise. It scares people both inside and outside the car. It sounds as if breaks are applied very hard at a very high speed. Is this common for XUV 5OO with Bridgestone Duelers? Worried if I have got a defective tyre. Appreciate your response.

Mods: Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. Please move if this is not the right thread.
As long as the car stops like you want it to, do not worry about that.
Even though I have not tried many tyres on my car, this looks normal. May be with Duelers.

Last edited by peterjim13 : 5th January 2016 at 12:25.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:41   #3718
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 62
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
This is a great piece of advice. Especially for someone like me coming from a petrol car where we are used to half clutch to move on steep incline. The diesel engines generally have moving ability without using accelerator in first/ second gear. So ideally, we can comfortable release the clutch and then start pressing accelerator. There is a thread on half clutch and some folks have elaborated it well - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-position.html (Half Clutch position)

Now with my XUV, I always release the clutch 90% or more before I even move my feet to accelerator. On the inclines it holds nicely, thanks to HHC as well.
most of us release press accelerator at half clutch fearing the engine will stop due to knocking.

Can anyone explain me the basic differnce between other clutch mechanism and hydraulic clutch system?

Hi Folks,

I have recently done Pune > Udaipur > Jodhpur > Jaislamer > Ahmedabad > Pune in my W6, I am absolutely happy with the performance of my vehicle.

However while heading back to pune from jaisalmer i started hearing a sound from driver side door, the noise is audible when i m driving on un-ever roads. it sound like two metal body are brushing each other.

and any solution for age old issue of rubber beading noise?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th January 2016 at 16:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
joeblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:53   #3719
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
Can anyone explain me the basic differnce between other clutch mechanism and hydraulic clutch system?
Read this article - it has videos too.
http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/...tch_works.html
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 23:49   #3720
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Nomad.. Hyd
Posts: 102
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack View Post
However while heading back to pune from jaisalmer i started hearing a sound from driver side door, the noise is audible when i m driving on un-ever roads. it sound like two metal body are brushing each other.
and any solution for age old issue of rubber beading noise
The exact same sound comes from my Cheetah, I had gone for a software update to ASS & informed them of this sound but the service executive said it was very less and asked me to use the cheetah for a few days. In his opinion since mine had done only 3k on the Odo the parts had not yet worn out hence the noise.
The noise comes from front right door and at times from left also. The noise is random at uneven roads but difficult to reproduce when I wanted to show the service guy. The sound is akin to sound produced when you hit a nail/sharp object onto glass. The sound freaks me out & I for one am very particular towards any unwanted noise.
any solution to this problem will be highly appreciated. Appeal to all Gurus/long time owners please help!
RajeVenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks