Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 13:21   #616
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 842
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Can you post a pic of the windscreen here for everyone to see. My XUV too have started to get a slight marking from the right side wiper.
Here are the pics. The top most part of the left side wiper has created a thick scratch mark. Initially i thought it is some sticky stuff which got spread on the windshield while the wiper was functioning but when i tried to clean it i realized the wiper has damaged the windshield. It looks much worse when you see it in person than when seen in a photo. The mark goes all the way from the bottom extreme left of the windshield to the top right side along the arc of the left wiper.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-img_20120717_115729.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-img_20120717_115735.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-img_20120717_115848.jpg  

XUV 500 niggles and their solutions-img_20120717_115857.jpg  


Last edited by dockap : 17th July 2012 at 13:24.
dockap is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 13:29   #617
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 407
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

My ICE conked off. Got it replaced yesterday.

The right indicator stops working at intervals. Got it rectified yesterday, but it has stopped working again .

Biggest niggle for me in M&M is the remote corner of Bangalore where India Garage has kept their service center. Now to get this redone, I have to spoil one whole day of mine. Even if they arrange a pick up and drop, i will be without vehicle for a day . I so hate that
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 13:42   #618
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,490
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Sounds like the wiper is a problem. However I have a theory here. I have closely watched this design. In my opinion the wiper shrouds made of metal are a wee bit too heavy. This makes the blades to bend and immediately the metal scratches the glass. Either the blades need to be thick and heavy or else M&M should redesign that shroud with something lighter.
I too have observed this aspect. Have you tried to use Bosch wiper blades as a replacement alternative to it?

Also, like you said, INR 16lac is not cheap and the XUV is now certainly a vehicle which should give better quality plastics, components and most of all, not feel flimsy, on the inside.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 14:28   #619
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Here are the pics. The top most part of the left side wiper has created a thick scratch mark. Initially i thought it is some sticky stuff which got spread on the windshield while the wiper was functioning but when i tried to clean it i realized the wiper has damaged the windshield. It looks much worse when you see it in person than when seen in a photo. The mark goes all the way from the bottom extreme left of the windshield to the top right side along the arc of the left wiper.
In all probability this would be a permanant damage to the windshield. I had the same issue with my Scorpio, all it took was a couple of swipes of the wiper (before I realized and switched it off) and the arc was permanent. I spent 1500 rupees for the polishing but the scratch appeared back after some time.

Unrelated to this, later the windshield was damaged by a stone and had to be replaced.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 14:38   #620
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

^This looks to be a serious issue. I read someone stating that its because of the very thin rubber blade which allows the metal to get in contact with the windshield and that causes the issue.

If this is happening for all of us, can we proactively ask RM/M&M to get this replaced? What if they dont have a better desing?

I may have driven hardly about 10-15 minutes with the wipers so far, I did see some marks but they went after the cleaning and looked to be of some sticky insect got in between! So, I dont really have an idea if mine has got a problem.

Getting it replaced proactively is one thing, and more important is to find out if we are going to get this issue, if so, it would be better to replace the wipers with a better design ASAP.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 19:42   #621
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Here are the pics. The top most part of the left side wiper has created a thick scratch mark. Initially i thought it is some sticky stuff which got spread on the windshield while the wiper was functioning but when i tried to clean it i realized the wiper has damaged the windshield. It looks much worse when you see it in person than when seen in a photo. The mark goes all the way from the bottom extreme left of the windshield to the top right side along the arc of the left wiper.
Looking at the pictures it is pretty evident that the marks are caused due to bad design / bad part of wiper blades. I think you should go ahead and claim the warranty before trying any patchup job with the glass. If they reject, you can look at your insurer for a accedent coverage of windsheld without having to loose the no claim bonus (Some type of insurance offer this facility), but it depends on what type of coverage you opted. If that also getting rejected you can ask them for a claim reject letter, in which the insurer will have to mention the reason for claim reject. That would support your argument that indeed the damage is caused due to bad part / bad design and ask M&M to fix it.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 17th July 2012 at 19:44.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 20:09   #622
anm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Hi guys - I am considering a XUV5OO and was talking to a sale guy about these niggles. He accepted that there was a brake noise in first few lots and it is rectified now. He did not mention any other issues even on asking. Came back and searched on teamBHP and found this thread.
So folks who have purchased recently, are the niggles still there in the new batched?
I was told a 20 week wait by 2 showrooms, but then I got a call from one showroom that one can be arranged. Haven't gone into details but it might not be a good buy if it is an old lot with lots of issues. Upto what manufacturing date should it be acceptable?
anm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 20:45   #623
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 113
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan
^This looks to be a serious issue. I read someone stating that its because of the very thin rubber blade which allows the metal to get in contact with the windshield glass.
Gentlemen, there is no metal to glass contact on the windshield. Rubber wiper fits into a soft plastic housing. No denying the fact that thickness and length of rubber is less, resulting in the housing edges to come dangerously close to the windshield. The problem seem to be more prominent with left wiper. I think that is due to housing being little longer than the rubber.
But as a matter of best practice I clean wiper blades, maybe just shake them or ensure water lubrication, as the situation demands, prior their use as there is considerable amount of dust in the environment and sand particles struck between the blade and the glass can really harm the glass within few strokes.

Secondly, I have a query and would be keen to get the inputs.

I have been informed by my RM that engine bay of the XUV is not to be washed with the water i.e with the pressurised hose. I have not been able to find such a warning in the owners manual. He said it is to be wiped with a wet cloth. Any idea if the information is correct. If it is so how do you clean radiator and condenser baffles without the pressurised water?
Bye the way I wash my car's engine bay every week with the water and so far so good, no problems encountered.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 22:06   #624
BHPian
 
anandtheleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 329
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA

Gentlemen, there is no metal to glass contact on the windshield. Rubber wiper fits into a soft plastic housing. No denying the fact that thickness and length of rubber is less, resulting in the housing edges to come dangerously close to the windshield. The problem seem to be more prominent with left wiper. I think that is due to housing being little longer than the rubber.
But as a matter of best practice I clean wiper blades, maybe just shake them or ensure water lubrication, as the situation demands, prior their use as there is considerable amount of dust in the environment and sand particles struck between the blade and the glass can really harm the glass within few strokes.

Secondly, I have a query and would be keen to get the inputs.

I have been informed by my RM that engine bay of the XUV is not to be washed with the water i.e with the pressurised hose. I have not been able to find such a warning in the owners manual. He said it is to be wiped with a wet cloth. Any idea if the information is correct. If it is so how do you clean radiator and condenser baffles without the pressurised water?
Bye the way I wash my car's engine bay every week with the water and so far so good, no problems encountered.
One problem i have seen with the wipe/wash cycle. The wipers starts their action before the water spray starts, this causes for a few seconds for 'dry wash' of the windscreen. This can potentially cause scratches. In my other cars the water sprays first and then then wiper action begins. Others do check this out.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 01:04   #625
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
One problem i have seen with the wipe/wash cycle. The wipers starts their action before the water spray starts, this causes for a few seconds for 'dry wash' of the windscreen. This can potentially cause scratches. In my other cars the water sprays first and then then wiper action begins. Others do check this out.
In fact the wash cycle also starts simultaneously, but when the blades are at resting position it will block the water jets from spraying water on glass. Once the viper blades move out of the way, you will see water splashes over the windshield. This continuous at every cycle when the blades goes to resting position the water jet will be blocked and a dry wipe is resulted. Quite bad design I would say. Wondering how can M&M miss this during test.

-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 02:02   #626
anm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Another thing with wipers - ask the car cleaning person to be very gentle on the wiper blades. I had issues with wiper making loud noises on my skoda, and I had to change the wiper blades often.
Figured out the guy was over zealous when cleaning the wiper blades. I asked him to clean then VERY gently, and the problem did not occur.
anm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 00:20   #627
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,500
Thanked: 1,830 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

I am inclined to agree with anand here. I have noticed this problem as well. And I have specifically seen that water jet starts sprouting out only after the wiper has gone to the other end and is on its way back. So it is not like the moment wiper blade starts moving the water hits the screen.

By the way, the water jet looks so feeble it resembles a municipal water connecton on a 14th floor apartment, ready to die any moment. Barely reaches the bottom of the screen on a dipping trajectory. This is much unlike any other car where jet is pretty powerful and by adjusting the nozzle direction can even be made to hit the top of the screen! Is this the same with everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
One problem i have seen with the wipe/wash cycle. The wipers starts their action before the water spray starts, this causes for a few seconds for 'dry wash' of the windscreen. This can potentially cause scratches. In my other cars the water sprays first and then then wiper action begins. Others do check this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
In fact the wash cycle also starts simultaneously, but when the blades are at resting position it will block the water jets from spraying water on glass. Once the viper blades move out of the way, you will see water splashes over the windshield. This continuous at every cycle when the blades goes to resting position the water jet will be blocked and a dry wipe is resulted. Quite bad design I would say. Wondering how can M&M miss this during test.

-HCP
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 02:22   #628
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 51
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

A funny incident happened with my xuv tonight. I was at a fuel pump to refuel and as soon as i tried releasing the fuel lid by pressing the button , funilly enough the button was nowhere to be found instead of button a wide hole could only be found. Realized that the button has caved in and the lid can no more be opened. Was worried how to refuel and then the attendant at pump pointed out towards the backup lid releaser in boot. Coincidentaly enough the pump was located opposite the mahindra xuv showroon and hence these guys might be aware of alternative arrangement.
Was really shocked at the quality of build but i think mahindra was well aware of such possibilty and so provided for a manual backup.
Any such occurences with any of you guys?

Last edited by mayank123 : 19th July 2012 at 02:24.
mayank123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 02:39   #629
BHPian
 
Ketan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 821
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
By the way, the water jet looks so feeble it resembles a municipal water connecton on a 14th floor apartment, ready to die any moment. Barely reaches the bottom of the screen on a dipping trajectory. This is much unlike any other car where jet is pretty powerful and by adjusting the nozzle direction can even be made to hit the top of the screen! Is this the same with everyone?
Yes, I have observed the same thing. My 6 years old Palio has 4 times more powerful jet than these ones. I have used it only couple of times so far, going to try that one more time and see whether it was just one off instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
Was really shocked at the quality of build but i think mahindra was well aware of such possibilty and so provided for a manual backup.
Any such occurences with any of you guys?
SDP had the similar experience on his first refill if I remember it correct, report it to the RM for now and get it sorted with the service center at your first opportunity.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 06:06   #630
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 6,787 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am inclined to agree with anand here. I have noticed this problem as well. And I have specifically seen that water jet starts sprouting out only after the wiper has gone to the other end and is on its way back. So it is not like the moment wiper blade starts moving the water hits the screen.

By the way, the water jet looks so feeble it resembles a municipal water connecton on a 14th floor apartment, ready to die any moment. Barely reaches the bottom of the screen on a dipping trajectory. This is much unlike any other car where jet is pretty powerful and by adjusting the nozzle direction can even be made to hit the top of the screen! Is this the same with everyone?
Perfect observation and a good sense of humor there with the comparison to municipal water connection. The spray is just too feeble. Both, front as well as rear. I am going to adjust the jets to see if the trajectory changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
A funny incident happened with my xuv tonight. I was at a fuel pump to refuel and as soon as i tried releasing the fuel lid by pressing the button , funilly enough the button was nowhere to be found instead of button a wide hole could only be found. Realized that the button has caved in and the lid can no more be opened. Was worried how to refuel and then the attendant at pump pointed out towards the backup lid releaser in boot. Coincidentaly enough the pump was located opposite the mahindra xuv showroon and hence these guys might be aware of alternative arrangement.
Was really shocked at the quality of build but i think mahindra was well aware of such possibilty and so provided for a manual backup.
Any such occurences with any of you guys?
Had a feeling of deja-vu when I read this. Even I am looking at a gaping hole where the button has been once upon a time.

---------------------------------------------------------
While we are discussing about the wipers, here's one more observation:
I was driving back to home yesterday and it was raining very heavily when I was on the eastern express highway. Even on the fastest wiper speed setting, did not 'feel' the wiper was fast enough. No complaints though, was able to see enough to drive.

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2012 at 06:16.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks