Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 13:58   #721
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 42
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@ princey :

And everything else I can live with: but issues like AC Blowers conking off, Indicators not working, Poor scratchy wipers and lastly Clutch failures.
I mean, if Scorpio had the same issue multiple times as m_upreti tells us, then what assures potential buyers that the new Clutch design will be foolproof and not fail again??
For the record, we had a Fiat, Omni Van, Alto, Santro and god knows how many other cars in the extended family ; but never had a single issue with the Mechanicals failing us like this !! )
You are absolutely right. There is no gaurantee that the parts they are replacing dont fail. Then the point also is, which other mechanical part will fail prematurely next? It is logical that if procurement has been substandard for a clutch or brake assembly, it is very likely also for, say the axle or suspension or the chassis or god knows what.

If my clutch failed at 8000km, perhaps my exhaust will at 15000 and axle at 20,000.

I think this forum will see waves upon waves of such failures being reported - and the initial buyers will be the ones reporting them first.

This really puts to question the so called road trials this car went through for 2 years.

Today my boss saw me getting out of my wife's Spark and joked "What, is your XUV at the workshop again?"
JeepSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:04   #722
BHPian
 
krreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 116
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

As i've posted this in another thread. I would like some feedback as I'm seriously concerned with Mahindra right now. I had booked an XUV in June and I'm now really having second thoughts about the XUV. Bad Service is inexcusable especially coming from owning a Skoda & a FIAT. I now appreciate Toyota all the more. Our Innova has been trouble free (65,000 KMs) and we have not had a single problem till date.

I was actually looking to buy the XUV as my next car, but now i'm really thinking of cancelling our booking. Would rather upgrade to BMW 3 or Audi A4 when the time comes. I really hope Toyota brings Lexis soon enough.
krreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:24   #723
BHPian
 
JeepSomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 42
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
As i've posted this in another thread. I would like some feedback as I'm seriously concerned with Mahindra right now. I had booked an XUV in June and I'm now really having second thoughts about the XUV. Bad Service is inexcusable especially coming from owning a Skoda & a FIAT. I now appreciate Toyota all the more. Our Innova has been trouble free (65,000 KMs) and we have not had a single problem till date.

I was actually looking to buy the XUV as my next car, but now i'm really thinking of cancelling our booking. Would rather upgrade to BMW 3 or Audi A4 when the time comes. I really hope Toyota brings Lexis soon enough.
Its not bad service at all krreddy. The service quality is fantastic. Almost anyone who has experiences their after sales service (and almost everyone has ) will tell you that these guys are extremely responsive and do not hesitate to rectify any defect, even if it means full replacement of parts. I for one can vouch for this. I havent seen such responsiveness with any other manufacturer so far.

The problem is not that. The problem is a bad product. So how many times do you want to be visiting the workshop or getting your car towed from the roadside when you have just bought a brand new vehicle?

Are you prepared for your brand new clutch just failing when you are driving back from a party with your family at 2AM or driving up the Leh highway? Can you imagine the anxiety of driving on a highway at 90KMPH knowing that it is quite possible that you could have a brake failure (as someone else in this forum I believe did).

My sincere advise to you would be to wait. Hopefully, these major mechanical defects will be sorted out later on in the production line. You may also have a choice of other, better cars.

Im not saying this because I have suffered. Im saying this because this forum is the only genuine platform where you hear real voices of real customers. If you just read the last 5 pages here, you will see what the real customers are saying.
JeepSomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:25   #724
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,532
Thanked: 1,151 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
As i've posted this in another thread. I would like some feedback as I'm seriously concerned with Mahindra right now. I had booked an XUV in June and I'm now really having second thoughts about the XUV. Bad Service is inexcusable especially coming from owning a Skoda & a FIAT. I now appreciate Toyota all the more. Our Innova has been trouble free (65,000 KMs) and we have not had a single problem till date.

I was actually looking to buy the XUV as my next car, but now i'm really thinking of cancelling our booking. Would rather upgrade to BMW 3 or Audi A4 when the time comes. I really hope Toyota brings Lexis soon enough.
Well kkreddy, If you are expecting bullet-proof reliability of Toyota, then please steer clear. There are umpteen issues with XUV but all are fixable at the A.S.S with one/multiple visits.

XUV scores over innova in features but fails when compared to reliability & Quality. XUV is selling more than cars costing twice with the current quality levels, so i really doubt whether quality would improve in less than 1.5 years.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st August 2012 at 19:27.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 19:43   #725
BHPian
 
krreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 116
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

For some reason the waiting period has come down. I may get my vehicle in a week or so. So i'm really not sure to go ahead with the purchase.

The Duster looks good though.
krreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 20:02   #726
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 6,750 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
For some reason the waiting period has come down. I may get my vehicle in a week or so. So i'm really not sure to go ahead with the purchase.

The Duster looks good though.
Duster positives -> Ride, price, build, reliability (in other countries)
Duster negatives -> Cheap interiors, ergonomics, slightly small

XUV5OO positives -> Ride, features, space, looks and presence
XUV5OO negatives -> niggles, unproven reliability, price (its ~16L today)

Your choice! If you have owned Toyotas in the past and love the so-called bullet-proof quality/reliability, XUV5OO is definitely not for you. You would most likely be disappointed.

What is the amount of localization that has been done on Duster for India? Would that be a new variable in terms of Indian Duster's reliability?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:49   #727
BHPian
 
princey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 135
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Duster positives -> Ride, price, build, reliability (in other countries)
Duster negatives -> Cheap interiors, ergonomics, slightly small

XUV5OO positives -> Ride, features, space, looks and presence
XUV5OO negatives -> niggles, unproven reliability, price (its ~16L today)

Your choice! If you have owned Toyotas in the past and love the so-called bullet-proof quality/reliability, XUV5OO is definitely not for you. You would most likely be disappointed.

What is the amount of localization that has been done on Duster for India? Would that be a new variable in terms of Indian Duster's reliability?
Totally agree with SDP on all counts.
If the choice is between Duster and XUV500, then perhaps XUV is better being a more percieved premium product. As far as relibility is concerned, nothing beats a Toyota in India. But the million dollar question is-Do you mind paying 10L over the XUV for a Fortuner for just reliability alone ?
princey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:48   #728
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 573
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

^^ OR live with a compromise and spend 4-5 lakhs less on a product that is still reliable, though less glamourful/feature-packed ( aka the Duster )
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:07   #729
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ OR live with a compromise and spend 4-5 lakhs less on a product that is still reliable, though less glamourful/feature-packed ( aka the Duster )
Buxx, while you have a point, I beg to differ on both these items:
1. I don't think the duster's reliability has been proven yet. It needs to prove itself once folks start taking delivery and start using/abusing it. I would think we need another 6-9 months before we discuss Duster's reliability vis-a-vis the XUV. However, I am inclined to believe that the Duster is going to be more reliable as it has been a proven product in its Dacia form internationally and seems to have been tested well in India as well (we have had test mules around for almost an year).
Anyways time will tell!
2. The fully loaded RxZ with leather is almost 13.5 L on road in hyderabad, while the XUV W8 is about 15.7. I don't think it is fair to compare other versions of the duster with the XUV. The difference works out to only about 2 Lakhs, which on paper, makes XUV a much better value (the XUV W6 is almost the same price). The engine and safety features are themselves worth the additional price

I am able to comment because I had booked the duster and finally cancelled it in favur of the XUV primarily for these 2 reasons

Last edited by DoneAndDusted : 2nd August 2012 at 13:11. Reason: clean up a bit :)
DoneAndDusted is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:05   #730
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 6,750 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quoting the FIRST post on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak10 View Post
Dear Mods, pls merge this thread with an existing one if this doesn't merit a separate discussion.

XUV 5OO W8 BHPians, I am starting this thread to discuss niggles one may have faced with their XUVs and how one pursued the solution or is pursuing the solution with Mahindra.

Sincere request to not make this a rant thread, the intent is solely to find ways of working collaboratively with Mahindra to improve the lovely XUV and leverage our unlimited mileage warranty appropriately :-).
.....
As you can see, we have veered off significantly from the original intent & direction of this thread. We are regularly getting into comparisons with other vehicles and some assorted rants about Mahindras taking the customers for a ride on a 16 Lakh Rs vehicle.

A sincere request to all participants to this thread:
1. Please use this thread for reporting issues that you have seen in the XUV. The XUV could be your own, of a relative, a friend, a colleague.

2. When an issue is fixed, please be kind enough to update this thread with the cause for the issue and how it was fixed (system flashed, part replaced etc). This would provide a direction for others facing the same/similar issue.

3. Use the "Mahindra XUV5OO : Official review" thread for EVERYTHING else. (Mods are pretty lenient there and don't seem to mind even discussion on 3D mats for the XUV )

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2012 at 14:16. Reason: Typo
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:25   #731
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 573
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Buxx, while you have a point, I beg to differ on both these items:
1. I don't think the duster's reliability has been proven yet. It needs to prove itself once folks start taking delivery and start using/abusing it. I would think we need another 6-9 months before we discuss Duster's reliability vis-a-vis the XUV. However, I am inclined to believe that the Duster is going to be more reliable as it has been a proven product in its Dacia form internationally and seems to have been tested well in India as well (we have had test mules around for almost an year).
Anyways time will tell!
2. The fully loaded RxZ with leather is almost 13.5 L on road in hyderabad, while the XUV W8 is about 15.7. I don't think it is fair to compare other versions of the duster with the XUV. The difference works out to only about 2 Lakhs, which on paper, makes XUV a much better value (the XUV W6 is almost the same price). The engine and safety features are themselves worth the additional price

I am able to comment because I had booked the duster and finally cancelled it in favur of the XUV primarily for these 2 reasons
I agree with you.. The price difference between the 110 RxZ and the XUV is not much and one could ignore it.

However, on the reliability part, I do not completely agree with you.
Duster is a well-engineered proven vehicle abroad. Moreover, there is a stark contrast when parts start failing in a NEW car.
With time... one can expect/understand wear & tear losses.

Having said that, I am myself not convinced on Renault's after sales experience in the Long-term. Mahindra has an advantage there.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:42   #732
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 113
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Quoting the FIRST post on this thread:

As you can see, we have veered off significantly from the original intent & direction of this thread.

A sincere request to all participants to this thread:
1. Please use this thread for reporting issues that you have seen in the XUV. The XUV could be your own, of a relative, a friend, a colleague.

2. When an issue is fixed, please be kind enough to update this thread with the cause for the issue and how it was fixed (system flashed, part replaced etc). This would provide a direction for others facing the same/similar issue.
Thanks SDP, I second your cause. It is time that the focus is brought back on to the orignal intent of the thread, only then can a gainful outcome emerge.

Reading this thread can make a person have fear psychosis about the car which is not the case. It is a pretty good car if considered in entirety.

Also prior to putting a niggle on the thread a little research is not a bad idea.

Good part of the story, major flaws like clutch problems etc seem to have reduced.

An input, brake judder has also reduced considerably in my car. Driven it for about 5500km.

Cheers
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:16   #733
SDP
Team-BHP Support
 
SDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,486
Thanked: 6,750 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Some very good points there, PGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
...
Reading this thread can make a person have fear psychosis about the car which is not the case. It is a pretty good car if considered in entirety.
...
Quite true. After preparing a summary of issues reported on this thread, I was myself alarmed by the sheer number and variety of issues reported. Was quite skeptical about my own decision to continue with the booking. Was quite apprehensive during the PDI at the yard and final delivery. But one good drive with the XUV5OO and the apprehensions melt away. No doubt there are still issues here and there, but the positives of the vehicle are so strong that you can easily live with a few issues. At least I am.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
...
Also prior to putting a niggle on the thread a little research is not a bad idea.
...
A feeling expressed by the service-staff as well. Looks like a good a number of owners have not gone through the owner's manual completely. There are quite a few features like cruise-control, start-stop, HHC, HDC which need a few prerequisites to be met for them to function. How many of us are really aware of these? e.g. start-stop is linked to the engine's temperature and would not work if the engine hasn't warmed up to its optimum temperature. So don't be worried about the start-stop not shutting off the engine at the first signal after you leave your apartment.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd August 2012 at 15:24.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:36   #734
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 98
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Some very good points there, PGA!


Quite true. After preparing a summary of issues reported on this thread, I was myself alarmed by the sheer number and variety of issues reported. Was quite skeptical about my own decision to continue with the booking. Was quite apprehensive during the PDI at the yard and final delivery. But one good drive with the XUV5OO and the apprehensions melt away. No doubt there are still issues here and there, but the positives of the vehicle are so strong that you can easily live with a few issues. At least I am.
+1 to that.. I know this is again OT, but could not resist as I am in the same boat. have gone ahead and booked the XUV and waiting for delivery. i can live with a few minor niggles for the package that it offers
DoneAndDusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:39   #735
PGA
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 113
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Looks like a good a number of owners have not gone through the owner's manual completely.
A boring read but a must. The effort put in going over the manual comes in handy when struck in a tight situation with your car.

Keep it for ready reference for initial couple of weeks if one wants to exploit full potential of the car.

Bye the way, I have to do inter city drives and I can tell you that cruise control is of real help in reducing the driving load.
PGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metro and City Discrimination By Mahindra- XUV 500 Launch anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 18 29th November 2011 15:10
Niggles, problems (Tyre and Stalling) in Palio 1.6 Sports 2007 anurag_p80 Technical Stuff 31 19th July 2010 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks