Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st November 2011, 05:34   #1
BHPian

Default Tail lamps - too bright?

I always feel that many of the newer cars tail lamps (especially the brake lights with additional high mounted lights) are way more brighter than it should be. These lights are not at all feels good in a heavy traffic jam. Just wanted to check what do you all think and if there are any standards around the brightness of rear lights.

Note: I understand that importance of the tail light and my eyes are perfectly normal. I re
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 09:51   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Tail lamps - too bright?

Though I noticed that none of the Honda tail lamps (all cars) really put glare on the eyes, several other car tail lights eg. Dzire really hurt the eyes.
We Indian's like all things bright and flashy so the overwhelming use of chrome finish in our cars
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 09:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Though I noticed that none of the Honda tail lamps (all cars) really put glare on the eyes, several other car tail lights eg. Dzire really hurt the eyes.
I felt that the prev generation accord's LED light is on the higher sude.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess the prism headlight and tail-lamp clusters only make it worse.

They are especially a pain when it rains when the light scatters all over.

The only way this can reduce is to have lower wattage bulbs - but I don't know how many people will go for it. The whole town is busy upgrading they headlights, wonder if anyone will actually downsize the tail-lamps!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I always feel that many of the newer cars tail lamps (especially the brake lights with additional high mounted lights) are way more brighter than it should be. These lights are not at all feels good in a heavy traffic jam. Just wanted to check what do you all think and if there are any standards around the brightness of rear lights.

Note: I understand that importance of the tail light and my eyes are perfectly normal. I re
Hate to be behind the santro, too many bright lights glare into your eyes when the brakes are applied. Yuck !!

It is not just the brightness, but the way the lights are positioned, especially on hatches and SUVs.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st November 2011 at 10:34.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:40   #6
BHPian

This is the exact thought which came to my mind when I was stuck in a traffic jam behind an A Star. If those brake lights were yellow instead of red, I wouldn't needed cabin lights in my car!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Things are really made worse when someone is sitting with his foot on the brake pedal on a traffic light, and you happen to be just behind that.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Brake lights are meant to be bright enough to grab attention. And as far as I know, they are bright as per required standards.

Drivers should be considerate enough to "not" keep their foot on brake pedal when stuck in a jam or waiting for light to turn green. Use handbrake for long stops. And turn off the annoying blinker when stuck in traffic and not moving. Turn back on when you do start to move.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 11:03   #9
BHPian

I have noticed that if I don't look directly at the tail lamps then they don't bother me. If you are looking at somewhere else like, bumpers, then they don't bother you.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 11:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
We Indian's like all things bright and flashy so the overwhelming use of chrome finish in our cars
Maybe thats why my dad's Honda City (its also a dull color which tends to merge with the surroundings) has been rear ended in the same place by bikers thrice in less than a year - also two other Honda Cities of the same color which I've seen were rear ended in the same way... Does that say something?

PS - The car is driven quite cautiously, and his older car (a white palio) was never rear ended in ~ 7+ years of service.
adisag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

A lot of drivers keep their rear fog lights on even when there is no fog. It the rear fog light which I find irritating rather than tail lights per se.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
A lot of drivers keep their rear fog lights on even when there is no fog. It the rear fog light which I find irritating rather than tail lights per se.
Tail lamps are not irritating because tail lights are less bright compared to fog lights. For most of the cars, fog light is as bright as a lit up brake lamp, and both are equally annoying when glowing continuously in your face.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 12:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
More than the tail lamps, its the rear fogs which create the glare. And most drivers don't even know the exact purpose for them. I think the rear fog lamp should have a separate switch and not in the console.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 13:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Not intending to sound rude, I am unsure of the utility of this discussion. Tail lights are meant to serve a functional purpose: to make the car's presence well advertized during low visibility, and towards that, making it safer for all traffic concerned. I dont believe this requirement can be made optional for convenience.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 13:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Not intending to sound rude, I am unsure of the utility of this discussion. Tail lights are meant to serve a functional purpose: to make the car's presence well advertized during low visibility, and towards that, making it safer for all traffic concerned. I dont believe this requirement can be made optional for convenience.
I would agree with theMAG. The whole purpose is to make sure that the trailing car sees the car in front no matter what the weather conditions are like. Sure, we can try to reduce the inconvience in calm conditions such as pulling handbrake while standing in traffic instead of keeping the foot on the brake and making sure we lower our headlights unless it is needed. But to say we should use bulbs with lower power to reduce, what is in my opinion, a minor inconvenience is taking it a step too far!
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote