Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th November 2011, 10:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
The Battery Rate of Swift DDIS is more than Rs. 9000
Incorrect information. I got a base terminal battery for Rs 4500 (after exchange of old battery worth 500). Exide and Amaron quoted 7000-7500
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Incorrect information. I got a base terminal battery for Rs 4500 (after exchange of old battery worth 500). Exide and Amaron quoted 7000-7500
Sorry i forgot to mentioned the Battery Make.
It's Exide Matrix Maintenance Free Battery which costs more than Rs.9000.
I bought mine Exide Matrix DIN50MF for Rs. 7500 (Rs.8500 - Rs.1000 for old Battery).

Last edited by aks_karthik : 25th November 2011 at 10:58.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 11:23   #18
BANNED

Any tips/advices to make the battery last longer in Diesels?

My Santro's battery has completed 3 years and still running strong. Guess its running strong because its a petrol. But I done know about the connection.

Is it that the petrol battery is charged better by the dynamo in the car because the petrol revs higher than the diesel. Also, may be diesel engines require more power to start the engine as compared to the petrol ones??
diesel_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 11:46   #19
BHPian

I think its because Diesel engines require more battery power to start, in a petrol minor deterioration of the battery power during the later life does not really matter but in a diesel batteries which fail the load test by just a whisker need to be replaced.

Its even easier to push start a petrol car than diesel
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 12:57   #20
BHPian

Is it possible to get the sp. gr. of the battery electrolyte checked? This will give you a pretty accurate indicatation the state of the battery.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 14:40   #21
BHPian

John: even if the specific gravity of the electrolyte is correct the battery can still fail the load test - happened in my case
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 16:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The Battery Rate of Swift DDIS is more than Rs. 9000
Quote:
Eddy, kindly let us know the warranty period, looks tempting deal.

Quote:
It's Exide Matrix Maintenance Free Battery which costs more than Rs.9000.
I bought mine Exide Matrix DIN50MF for Rs. 7500 (Rs.8500 - Rs.1000 for old Battery).
I got mine changed to Exide Maintenance free battery in June'11 with 2+2yr warranty for Rs.8,600 after returning old battery.

Amaron quoted nearly Rs.10.5k and asked to leave my name and number and notify me when battery arrives. Earlier during that time I was told by service center that there is a shortage for these batteries.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 16:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
John: even if the specific gravity of the electrolyte is correct the battery can still fail the load test - happened in my case
It's possible. I recall reading somewhere that only 30% of batteries nowadays reach the 48 months mark. Traveling short distances, resulting in more frequent starts (deep cycling), reduces battery life.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 20:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
It started up and it turned off immediately with the SVS light blinking continuously. I turned off the ignition waited for 5 seconds. Tried cranking the engine and it wont start. Again turned off the ignition waited for say around 10 seconds, attempted to crank the engine and it started up just fine. I noticed that prior to the engine start, as normally I do, I wait for the SVS light to turn off itself, but now it didnt, and would turn off only when the engine starts up.
This is exactly the issue I am facing since about a month now. My VDi ABS has done about 28000 kms and is a little over 3 years old. I got this issue when I tried starting the car after a gap of 4 days. As I had connected racechip recently and installed a free flow replacement air filter, I started to try isolate the problem but this happens sometimes even on completely stock settings. I suspected the fuel or the battery. The problem has not occured after I filled in a fresh tank full of diesel but am keeping my fingers crossed.

If this happens one more time, then I will change the battery . I researched and found out that the service light is erased after 40 normal cold-start/warmup cycles of the engine.

Rajdeep
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 00:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
yup it probably is a weak battery. had read in the mega swift thread that SVS light / water in fuel light usually points to a weak battery. could be wrong though.
Quote:
90% chance that its the battery. Ask the SA if he has a spare battery somewhere and check with that.
The car is back with me after they kept with them for 2 days and checked it.

They checked the battery and current flow to the sensors and found its alright. They checked if alternator was providing the correct output and it does.

They want me to change the battery to a new one. He says few Cells don't appear to deliver consistent power, however the SA who is actually the HOD himself agreed that the battery doesn't appear to be weak when they crank the engine.

M.A.S.S. also argues that DDIS battery dont last more than 2-3 years is their observation and hence it also validates in my car's case since its 3 years for my car battery too.

I have told them to arrange a service battery which they don't have. Crap, such big Service Stations don't keep spare service batteries. What a shame.

He would be arranging it in a few days he says. Lets hope its early then what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaja45 View Post
Since it is an ABS equipped car, try checking the brakes; the pads may have worn out near to their end. Had similar problem in my car. Problem resolved after changing the pads.
The brakes seem good as of now and even SA has confirmed. Have been using combination of engine and brake power when it comes to braking, hence brakes don't appear worn out as of now.

But would keep your suggestion in mind, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I wonder what kind of mileage you would get for such short distance driving

As of the light, suggest you to get a spare battery from the M.A.S.S and try. I doubt if it would be light on your pocket.
We were 4 people and had to carry some stuff along, hence had to go by car, else doesn't make sense for such a short distance.

I am content with the current mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This is exactly the issue I am facing since about a month now. My VDi ABS has done about 28000 kms and is a little over 3 years old. I got this issue when I tried starting the car after a gap of 4 days. As I had connected racechip recently and installed a free flow replacement air filter, I started to try isolate the problem but this happens sometimes even on completely stock settings. I suspected the fuel or the battery. The problem has not occured after I filled in a fresh tank full of diesel but am keeping my fingers crossed.

If this happens one more time, then I will change the battery . I researched and found out that the service light is erased after 40 normal cold-start/warmup cycles of the engine.

Rajdeep
Could you get the error code that shows up via SDT before clearing it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post

One day in june after driving for over 550kms I stopped for tea break 30 kms ahead of my destination and tried to crank up but the engine goes off, which I felt abnormal, however in second attempt car started and I started driving only to notice the below warning lights after driving couple of meters.

Engine warning light and Fuel filter water trap(diesel engines)
Attachment 846961 Attachment 846962

Got this checked at service center and informed that this combination relates to weak battery. Went to 2 other battery shops and got confirmed that the battery is actually dying. Replaced the battery and that problem didnt occur till now.
Its only SVS light in my car's case. Should I be happy about it or bang my head, don't know ?

Between, there is one thing dear bhpians that I fail to understand. Every time this issue occurs and the SVS light turns up, the error code is always the same, i.e. the immobilizer malfunction code.
Lets say had it been a weak battery issue then even the water in fuel filter light should come up as a combination or at least the error code should have been random and not the same always. This is what is not happening in my car's case.

Hope at the end it boils down to a weak battery and nothing major.

Appreciate everyone's valuable inputs and suggestions.

Thanks,
tush

Last edited by tush : 28th November 2011 at 00:18.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 00:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Tellin' you again. Its the battery. Do not worry
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 06:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tellin' you again. Its the battery. Do not worry
Yeah, 3 yrs is awesome life for a battery on SWIFT D. I will be completing 2yrs on my SWIFT in JAN. I hope my battery also last 3yrs.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 10:37   #28
BHPian

My battery started showing up symptoms of dying down after 34 months of usage, thatís close to 3 years.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Haven't heard from the MASS SA for a service battery yet. Can't expect that kind of customer service.

However friends, if I have to go for a new battery which one should I be going for. My primary concern is quality, service life, after sales service/warranty and should not cost a bomb.

My car has following ICE.

Clarion DXZ785 head-unit.
DLS MS6A front components.
Harmon Kardon CA 470 Amp.
Bull Audio SW-12 Sub.
Ground Zero and scoche harness cabling.

I have always made sure that the ICE is never used when the engine is not started.

Thanks!
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 18:19   #30
BHPian

Yes, the error code for the light says it's a weak battery. This happened in my Swift too but it was the diesel water filter light. Every time the car is serviced, the mechanic disconnects the battery and that spurns a set of error codes. Later, when the car is ready the mechanic resets the ECU that erases all errors. Sometimes, it doesn't erase properly and the reason was a weak battery. But I actually had a brand new battery that was a few months old. Finally, found out that the ECU "mistakenly thinks" that the battery is weak and generates this light malfunction. To get rid of this problem the mechanic left the battery disconnected for a few hours at the service station and later used a different battery (from his spare) and reconnected and also reset the ECU. Then he took for a test drive with the spare battery connected and the problem was fixed. Later he disconnected the spare battery and instantly reconnected my battery back again. There has been no problem ever since. He said it's to do with a problem with error codes. It was generic to Swifts is what I heard.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote