Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th December 2011, 19:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
However friends, if I have to go for a new battery which one should I be going for. My primary concern is quality, service life, after sales service/warranty and should not cost a bomb.
From my experience , please go for Exide maintenance free ones - cut down on the warranty / guarantee period to 1 year ( rather than 2-3 years ) and it would bring down your cost of the battery significantly . Maint free so that you do not run a risk of battery die down if the water/acid levels are not checked and limit the warranty to 1 year as beyond 1 year the cost of the warranty ( which gets loaded onto the price) does not justify the terms and condition.
cheers
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 21:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Quote:
However friends, if I have to go for a new battery which one should I be going for. My primary concern is quality, service life, after sales service/warranty and should not cost a bomb.
My battery lasted 2.5 years with whole lot of night drives with headlights & fogs ON for atleast8 hours & ICE ON for almost 6 hours through out the journey. Had covered around 55,000 kms before I changed.

I went for SF since the battery was fitted in the MA$$ itself - cost me 9K after exchange. I have 2+2 years warranty on it as well. If you could get the spec of the Swft D battery from SA, then buy it from outside & you will save quite some bucks. I believe Swift D battery is of 64DIN. Please don't ask the local guys, they will give different ratings and will confuse you.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 21:36   #33
BHPian

As I had a trip to tirupati planned last weekend, I changed the battery as a precaution. I bought an Amaron Go battery with a 1.5+1.5 year warranty for Rs. 5900 after getting Rs. 500 as buyback. I am still running with these error codes and have not cleared them till now.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 13:20   #34
BHPian

Friends,

I finally got a service battery from MASS and have been testing with it since more then 10 days and havent had the issue re-appear.

What do you guys say, should I be testing more or is it time enough to identify the issue and go ahead and change the battery?

I do see the change in the crank with this service battery. The engine comes to life way faster with this service battery.

Its strange it took them 2 months to come to a decision of testing with a service battery, that too I insisted them as they themselves didnt feel the battery to be weak and appeared in two minds if it was the battery or the immobilizer issue. Again they gave the service battery since I had questioned them what if the issue re-appears even after changing the battery.

Damn its going to be a dent of almost 10k.

The SA says MASS approved manufacturers for Swift DDIS are exide and amaron only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
As I had a trip to tirupati planned last weekend, I changed the battery as a precaution. I bought an Amaron Go battery with a 1.5+1.5 year warranty for Rs. 5900 after getting Rs. 500 as buyback. I am still running with these error codes and have not cleared them till now.
Your car is SX4 and looks like you have a DDIS. Did you clear the error codes yet?
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 13:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
Your car is SX4 and looks like you have a DDIS. Did you clear the error codes yet?
Actually that SX4 is a petrol model! I use the swift ddis now. I changed the battery to amaron go (18+18 months warranty) for Rs.5900 after getting Rs 500 for the old battery. I have not cleared the error codes yet. Will get it done when I give the car for servicing.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Did you clear the error codes yet?
Sorry Tush. The error code got cleared automatically yesterday!
Old 30th December 2011, 10:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Tush. The error code got cleared automatically yesterday!
Thanks for the update. Thats something new to me, it got cleared by itself.

You went for a Go model, but the amaron website recommends Flo model for DDIS. Why is that so and how does it affect the car if you dont go for Flo and instead for a Go model?

The price you have mentioned for Go suits my budget, but guess the above question just came up before I nail down on the same model.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Thats something new to me, it got cleared by itself.

You went for a Go model, but the amaron website recommends Flo model for DDIS. Why is that so and how does it affect the car if you dont go for Flo and instead for a Go model?

The price you have mentioned for Go suits my budget, but guess the above question just came up before I nail down on the same model.
I read in the service manual that the major error codes get cleared after normal 40 warm-up/cool-down cycles. Each warm-up/cool-down cycle is where the engine temperature increases by 20 degrees after starting and before shutting it down. This seems to have happened.

The Go model is the same 66 DIN capacity as the Flo model. Only difference is that for Flo model you get 24+24 months warranty and for for the Go model, the warranty is 18+18 months. The dealer said that the batteries are same and only the warranty is different and hence the difference in prices.

Go ahead and install the Go model. I have been using it for the last 1 month and face no problem at all!
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I read in the service manual that the major error codes get cleared after normal 40 warm-up/cool-down cycles. Each warm-up/cool-down cycle is where the engine temperature increases by 20 degrees after starting and before shutting it down. This seems to have happened.

The Go model is the same 66 DIN capacity as the Flo model. Only difference is that for Flo model you get 24+24 months warranty and for for the Go model, the warranty is 18+18 months. The dealer said that the batteries are same and only the warranty is different and hence the difference in prices.

Go ahead and install the Go model. I have been using it for the last 1 month and face no problem at all!

Called Just Dial for some amaron dealers contact info. After 5 mins got a call from Amaron dealer reference Just Dial.

In exchange for the old battery he is offering me Amaron Go DIN 65 for 5000/- The exchange price for my old has been quoted to 700/-

Apart from what you said he also said Flo is bit smaller in dimension.

I have not yet finalised the deal. But the person was curtious enough to offer me a checkup for the old battery and if it could last for another couple of months he said then he would not suggest to change the battery. I have informed him about the situation and that I am using a service battery as a temp just to judge the immobilizer thing thats going on.

Last edited by tush : 2nd January 2012 at 12:55.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
yup it probably is a weak battery. had read in the mega swift thread that SVS light / water in fuel light usually points to a weak battery. could be wrong though.
are you sure? My father's swift is currently in the work shop having undergone an immobiliser replacement for the same problem as you have mentioned[service light and water in diesel filter light stays on before starting the car, sometimes even after starting the car]. The SA called up yesterday and said the battery is also weak and needs replacement? Are you saying we unnecessarily replaced the immobiliser?
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately yes, though the MASS will never accept that. The light is THE sign of a weak battery in the swift diesel
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
are you sure? My father's swift is currently in the work shop having undergone an immobiliser replacement for the same problem as you have mentioned[service light and water in diesel filter light stays on before starting the car, sometimes even after starting the car]. The SA called up yesterday and said the battery is also weak and needs replacement? Are you saying we unnecessarily replaced the immobiliser?
Is your car still under warranty?

Before replacing the battery check if the issue still remains with this weak battery. If yes, then the correct way would have been to first check using a service battery and not replace the immobilizer.
tush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Is your car still under warranty?

Before replacing the battery check if the issue still remains with this weak battery. If yes, then the correct way would have been to first check using a service battery and not replace the immobilizer.
Thing is, warranty expired on 26th october and the problem surfaced for the first time on 4th november. Immobilser has already been installed at our expense. As I said in my previous post, SA says battery is weak and will need replacement. He says he has put our battery for charging and using a sapre battery to test the car.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Thing is, warranty expired on 26th october and the problem surfaced for the first time on 4th november. Immobilser has already been installed at our expense. As I said in my previous post, SA says battery is weak and will need replacement. He says he has put our battery for charging and using a sapre battery to test the car.
Oh sorry to hear that the warranty was just over. MASS had told me it is around 10k/- for the immobilizer set, which includes all locks and the key.

In my car's case its able to crank the engine however the voltage of 1 of the cells is not consistent is what MASS said, hence indicating the battery has gone weak.

They didnt go for an immobilizer replacement suspecting this behaviour being caused due to weak battery and advised me to replace the battery.

On my request(had to demand actually) they used a service battery and since then the immobilizer SVS light issue has not resurfaced which had been quite frequent recently.

Would be changing the battery soon. Have not nailed down the dealer yet from whom I would buying it. Have got a quote of 5000/- for Amaron Go in exchange of old battery.

Between a battery shop owner informed me that charging of the DDIS battery will not help. Else I had planned the same. Not sure why is that so. But we do get our two wheeler battery charged as suggested by the same battery shop owner whenever we find it going weak, and it works fine.

Last edited by tush : 3rd January 2012 at 19:30.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Oh sorry to hear that the warranty was just over. MASS had told me it is around 10k/- for the immobilizer set, which includes all locks and the key.

In my car's case its able to crank the engine however the voltage of 1 of the cells is not consistent is what MASS said, hence indicating the battery has gone weak.

They didnt go for an immobilizer replacement suspecting this behaviour being caused due to weak battery and advised me to replace the battery.

On my request(had to demand actually) they used a service battery and since then the immobilizer SVS light issue has not resurfaced which had been quite frequent recently.

Would be changing the battery soon. Have not nailed down the dealer yet from whom I would buying it. Have got a quote of 5000/- for Amaron Go in exchange of old battery.

Between a battery shop owner informed me that charging of the DDIS battery will not help. Else I had planned the same. Not sure why is that so. But we do get our two wheeler battery charged as suggested by the same battery shop owner whenever we find it going weak, and it works fine.
Lesson learnt today: always check team-bhp BEFORE getting work done on the car. I went to check on the car today. To my surprise, the service is still on though the water in diesel filter light is switching off. When I questioned the SA about this, he very clamly said that immobilizer got damaged because of the battery and that weak battery is the primary culprit. According to him, I'll have to get the battery changed and take the car back to him so that he can wipe out the error and that should solve the problem.

I don't know how to react to this. The immobilizer has already been installed and they are not going to take it off. Am I being taken for a ride? What should be my next course of action?

Also, I would like somebody to recommend to me what battery I should change to.

Last edited by scuderiamania : 3rd January 2012 at 20:11.