Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd January 2012, 20:54   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Go ahead and install the Go model. I have been using it for the last 1 month and face no problem at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Also, I would like somebody to recommend to me what battery I should change to.
I have decided to go for Amaron Go as suggested in the post by mtnrajdeep.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:41   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Swift DDIS SVS Light turns Off only after engine starts(ECU records immobilizer c

Could others also chip in to suggest what battery I should go for. Please specify the make and spec. I am looking for something value for money yet good at the same time. Apart from standard equipment of a swift VDi, the extras include 100/110w headlamps, and an after market music system with sub-woofer.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 10:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
... charging of the DDIS battery will not help. ... But we do get our two wheeler battery charged ...
Yes, if one of the cells is showing less than 1.8V and the others 2V or more, charging the battery will not help as there is an irreversible chemical change in that cell.

2-wheeler charging behavior is different - too little daytime driving coupled with a lot of night driving will leave the battery gasping for charge! Even in a 2-wheeler battery if one cell shows less voltage, charging will not help revive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
... he very clamly said that immobilizer got damaged because of the battery and that weak battery is the primary culprit. ...
His explanation could be better, but he is not incorrect (the immobilizer miscommunicated due to low battery voltage. It is not damaged).

In strange boundary conditions such as this with the battery, it is better to replace the battery.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 12:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes, if one of the cells is showing less than 1.8V and the others 2V or more, charging the battery will not help as there is an irreversible chemical change in that cell.

2-wheeler charging behavior is different - too little daytime driving coupled with a lot of night driving will leave the battery gasping for charge! Even in a 2-wheeler battery if one cell shows less voltage, charging will not help revive it.

His explanation could be better, but he is not incorrect (the immobilizer miscommunicated due to low battery voltage. It is not damaged).

In strange boundary conditions such as this with the battery, it is better to replace the battery.
Suppose if I had kept the old [miscommunicating] immobilizer and simply changed the battery, would it have solve the problem? If yes, then .

Btw, any suggestions for which battery to choose. Some googling leads me to believe that amaron is better than exide. Is it so?
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 18:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it would have solved the problem. At low battery voltages, the immobilizer does not "starve to death" .
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:47   #51
BHPian

My Swift VDi is two years old. I start the engine after the SVS light goes off, but it comes on for a second or two after starting the engine and then again goes off. Does this point to a battery problem?
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
My Swift VDi is two years old. I start the engine after the SVS light goes off, but it comes on for a second or two after starting the engine and then again goes off. Does this point to a battery problem?
I had this issue and it was resolved after resetting the ECU by just disconnecting the battery terminals for 15 mins. The other issue mentioned in the thread (the original topic) happened to me and it was in fact a key set problem and was corrected after my second key set change.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 09:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hello Mods, Friends and Experts,

Greetings to all!

I have a query regarding an issue that my car has been experiencing. Its a Swift DDIS(ABS). It has completed three years this month. Its a well maintained car with engine oil and oil filter changed at every 5000Km and serviced at regular intervals. The ODO is about to cross 29000km.

The issue started 2 months back. It was in the mid rainy afternoon and the car had started with no issues at the first attempt. A 4 km drive. Parked the car. Had lunch at a restaurant. Headed towards the destination back in my car to another 4-5 kms with friends. We finished our work in about 30 mins. Headed towards the car. Turned on the ignition waited for the SVS light to turn off and then attempted to crank the engine.
It started up and it turned off immediately with the SVS light blinking continuously. I turned off the ignition waited for 5 seconds. Tried cranking the engine and it wont start. Again turned off the ignition waited for say around 10 seconds, attempted to crank the engine and it started up just fine. I noticed that prior to the engine start, as normally I do, I wait for the SVS light to turn off itself, but now it didnt, and would turn off only when the engine starts up.

Went to MASS, got their SDT connected and checked the error code. It said "P1612 & P1613 - Immobilizer Malf".

They cleared the error, and suggested me to continue using the car, as this might be a one off, however it happened just again in a weeks time, exactly the same behavior albeit the engine started up at the second attempt. The error code registered was the same. They cleared the bit and advised me to use my second key as they suspected key electronics to be the culprit.

All went fine for almost close to 2 months, and one fine morning around 15-20 days back at the first attempt of the day to crank my engine, it again gave the same issue, but the engine started at the second attempt. (Please make a note, I am using the second spare key as suggested by MASS advisor)

Checked again with MASS, and its the same error code. We are able to see this code when we click the History option of SDT. They say, it saves it to history from current, hence it comes up under history section of SDT when the issue has occurred and recorded by the ECU.

The issue has occurred thrice in these 15-20 days and another service advisor is pointing to a weak battery even though the error code mentions something different as above.
However I am not convinced, because the engine starts and then dies immediately as if someone has turned off via the key. And the car even starts up with no signs of a too weak battery before or after this issue has occurred.

They have asked me to leave the car with them for 2 days starting today. I am not comfortable keeping the car that long, but have no option although they have been co-operating so far as they should. I have asked them to check with their service battery which they say they don't have and would try to arrange one. I doubt in two days they would get the same issue, as it sometimes just works fine for more then a day/week/month. If they nail down to a weak battery, they should let me check it with service battery for at-least a month considering the behavior of this issue.
DDIS battery is too costly compared to petrol version swift. The reason I have not yet bought a new battery is "what if the issue remains even after the battery change" as the error code talks something else. I would then have already dented my pocket with 10k for a new battery for no fault of it.

Has anyone in our forum ever experienced similar issue with their Swift DDIS where the problem identified was a weak battery as against what the error code talks and that being the final resolution.

Please pour in your thoughts and experience, as it would help me understand and drive this issue to a good resolution without damaging anything in my car.

@anshurao,
I read your similar issue in Jaggu's thread but I didn't pay attention if the water filter light too had come up in my cars case. And again, you have not mentioned the error code. Was it the same error code that your car ECU reported ?

@Mods,
I didn't find a dedicated thread for SVS light issue, nor do I want to hijack anyone elses thread which apparently is ownership review, hence started one. Please move it as suitable if not appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

tush.
Bumping up the thread as I too faced the same problem.Here's what happened-
Yesterday I took the car to the market. En route i stop to fill up Diesel.After filling up I switch ON the ignition,wait for the SVS light to turn OFF.I crank up the engine the engine doesn't fire up. I see the SVS light blinking.I switch OFF the ignition and wait for 5 seconds.I switch ON the ignition,wait for the SVS light to go OFF,crank up the engine and BINGO it starts no issues.
The car has run 38K in 3.5 years.I had replaced the stock battery with a Amaron one.The car doesn't take long to start up (normal cranking time required).What could be the reason as to why this happened,as the battery is only 1 year old.This is the first time am seeing this.
I will be taking the car to the SVC and get the ECU scanned.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th April 2014 at 09:42.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 11:47   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Bumping up the thread as I too faced the same problem.Here's what happened-
Yesterday I took the car to the market. En route i stop to fill up Diesel.After filling up I switch ON the ignition,wait for the SVS light to turn OFF.I crank up the engine the engine doesn't fire up. I see the SVS light blinking.I switch OFF the ignition and wait for 5 seconds.I switch ON the ignition,wait for the SVS light to go OFF,crank up the engine and BINGO it starts no issues....

I will be taking the car to the SVC and get the ECU scanned.
Did you fill diesel from a regular pump? It could be that the system might have had to adjust to a new quality fuel; if it was a new pump. But since it didn't re-occur, I do NOT think there is a reason to be worried.

If the light does NOT stay ON, I do NOT think the service centre can be of any help.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 11:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you fill diesel from a regular pump? It could be that the system might have had to adjust to a new quality fuel;
I had filled up from the regular pump,moreover,i assume the fuel pump wouldn't have responded quickly in case of different or bad fuel since the car had more than half tank of Diesel.If it was the case of bad fuel,the car would have run a bit further and displayed the symptoms
if it was a new pump. But since it didn't re-occur, I do NOT think there is a reason to be worried.

Quote:
If the light does NOT stay ON, I do NOT think the service centre can be of any help.
An error code could have been generated.Does it get stored in the ECU?

The battery is only 1 year old and thats what is puzzling me.

Note from Support: Please do not type your answers in bold within a quoted statement. This does not allow subsequent quoting and continuing the discussion.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th April 2014 at 13:17.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 15:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
An error code could have been generated.Does it get stored in the ECU?

The battery is only 1 year old and thats what is puzzling me.
Ideally yes, the fault code would have been stored in the ECU. You can check the same at home if you have a ELM 327 OBD II reader.

Regarding the battery, check the following to rule out battery problem:

1) voltage on ignition - 12-12.1V;

2) Voltage while cranking - 9-10V

3) Voltage after the engine has started - 14V.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 17:48   #57

Hi,
My DZire VDi has done 61,500 and I'm facing a similar issue. The SVS comes on when I turn on the IGN, switches off (as always) after about 4 seconds, then comes on again immediately, stays on till I CRANK the engine. And then its off...
I asked the service engineer at Sonepat- he says its normal and didn't bother offering any explanation.

Comments anyone?
jonathanarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 18:31   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanarmy View Post
I asked the service engineer at Sonepat- he says its normal and didn't bother offering any explanation.

Comments anyone?
Just ask the engineer to reset the code on the ECU so that it doesn't keep flashing.

Nothing to worry, a few minutes work this is. Just a OBD 2 reader hook up.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 20:51   #59

Thanks anurag I've spoken to him. Will be getting it done tomorrow.
jonathanarmy is offline   Reply With Quote