Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th December 2011, 18:39   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Recently went to Chevy showroom to enquire about Spark variations for a friend. Top most version LT had among other things,

1. Rear Spoiler
2. Roof railings

Both were purely ornamental attachments. That spoiler is small, snug fit, not raised upwards, I wonder how it will 'spoil' the speed.

The roof railings were attached to the car top using some adhesive & showroom staff agreed we cannot latch any luggage to it. It's there purely for style!

Slightly off-topic:
Bizarrely, they also insisted we should purchase Rs.10,000 worth of accessories along with any model of Spark. They cited, door visor, seat covers, door sil plates, ORVM cover with blinkers, car covers etc. Sort of like optional extra, but if forced like this, it can also be deemed unnecessary OEM.
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 02:23   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Anyone a fan of the Start/Stop button here?

I don't understand the novelty in it! How difficult is turning a key?!
First when micra came with it, it was talked about like never heard of feature. But I have been seeing this push start right from when I started travelling in bus! My school bus (a TATA bus) had a push button start. The push start/stop button in new cars sounded like going back in time.. couldnt really stop laughing at those ads!

Ok, having said that, I guess it adds a bit of convenience. I havent used it personally, but in some cars like the Ford Taurus it looked cool!
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 06:44   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
First when micra came with it, it was talked about like never heard of feature. But I have been seeing this push start right from when I started travelling in bus! My school bus (a TATA bus) had a push button start. The push start/stop button in new cars sounded like going back in time.. couldnt really stop laughing at those ads!

Ok, having said that, I guess it adds a bit of convenience. I havent used it personally, but in some cars like the Ford Taurus it looked cool!
You are exactly right, even the 90's the transport bus's had Black start/stop button to start the engine.

In my opinion its a very useful feature:

1. Sometimes your passenger or you sit in the passenger seat and turn on the car for AC or something else, it becomes very difficult to turn on the car from passenger seat. Although this is not advisable. (i am not sure if u need to press clutch to start the car with press button)
2. During rains or dark,or if you are unfamiliar with the car, you need to search for the ignition key, also since its positioned side of steering, we may not angle it correctly, which spoils the ignition key, this has happened to me in previous car.
krish82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 08:10   #139
BHPian

Quote:
But I have been seeing this push start right from when I started travelling in bus! My school bus (a TATA bus) had a push button start. The push start/stop button in new cars sounded like going back in time.. couldnt really stop laughing at those ads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
You are exactly right, even the 90's the transport bus's had Black start/stop button to start the engine.
The Start button (and not start/stop button as you have mentioned) in the bus and the ones they offer in newer cars are totally different.
1. The ones offered in cars is a start/stop button unlike of the bus where it could only be used for starting the engine and the stopping was done by a cable switch or lifting the accelerator etc etc by choking the engine to death. On the bus, it was a mere replacement for the turning of ignition key. It was just an electrical contact to crank the starter motor.
2. The start/stop button on modern cars are more electronic than a simple electrical switch. AFAIK, you don't have to keep it pressed till the engine comes to life; it requires just a tap and then, the ECU takes care of the rest. In buses, it has to be kept pressed just like you start the engine of a car without start/stop feature. The difference is that from circular motion you go linear (to push down the button)

Last edited by A350XWB : 8th December 2011 at 08:12.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 12:24   #140
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Let me add a couple of entries:
1. Electric sun-blind/sun-shade systems (typically seen on the rear windows of high-end cars)
2. Provision for Umbrella in the door panel (a la Superb) (Sam is not going to like this )

Last edited by SDP : 8th December 2011 at 12:27.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:23   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. Electric sun-blind/sun-shade systems (typically seen on the rear windows of high-end cars)
2. Provision for Umbrella in the door panel (a la Superb) (Sam is not going to like this )
In my opinion these are useful nice to have features, though not necessary.
The electric sun-blind dispenses with the use of curtains for rear wind screen, while an umbrella is useful if you are caught in a light shower. As both these features are there only in the high end cars, let their owners decide on their utility (as long as they do not have to pay through their nose for it!).
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 19:51   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
Child lock goes in to partially useful and cigarette lighter in Fully useful, Strange list i would say.

IMHO child-lock, ABS, seat belts and Airbags belong to Must-Have category.
I'd maintain that child lock as it is implemented today in most vehicles is partially useful, not the concept as such. I have never used it and knew one guy who used it for a while but stopped because of the hassle. We both have at least one adult accompanying children if they are in the rear seat with strict parental control. My elder daughter dare not touch the door lever without an adult's permission.

Typically if safety/security features are a hassle they will be avoided unless enforced. In the majority cases convenience can be married to safety. In this case it is a simple convenience to have an electrical mechanism with a switch below the steering or some such, in addition to the current mechanical setup. This will make it a truly useful feature.
moinakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 01:49   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post
I'd maintain that child lock as it is implemented today in most vehicles is partially useful, not the concept as such. I have never used it and knew one guy who used it for a while but stopped because of the hassle. We both have at least one adult accompanying children if they are in the rear seat with strict parental control. My elder daughter dare not touch the door lever without an adult's permission.

Typically if safety/security features are a hassle they will be avoided unless enforced. In the majority cases convenience can be married to safety. In this case it is a simple convenience to have an electrical mechanism with a switch below the steering or some such, in addition to the current mechanical setup. This will make it a truly useful feature.
Even if it is an inconvenience, I would still rate it as a must-have. I have an one year old who wants to try out all the buttons or weird looking things and door handle/power window is one of them. And more over I have had my relative/friend's kids the same way, checking out all the thing at the back. Kids are unpredictable and play with these when get bored on a long drive and I definitively don't want to keep nagging them for touching the handle/button. That's why i strongly suggest having this even if this is a in-convenience task of flipping a small switch on the door, could avoid a disaster.
RIC.BURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 08:28   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The Start button (and not start/stop button as you have mentioned) in the bus and the ones they offer in newer cars are totally different.
1. The ones offered in cars is a start/stop button unlike of the bus where it could only be used for starting the engine and the stopping was done by a cable switch or lifting the accelerator etc etc by choking the engine to death. On the bus, it was a mere replacement for the turning of ignition key. It was just an electrical contact to crank the starter motor.
2. The start/stop button on modern cars are more electronic than a simple electrical switch. AFAIK, you don't have to keep it pressed till the engine comes to life; it requires just a tap and then, the ECU takes care of the rest. In buses, it has to be kept pressed just like you start the engine of a car without start/stop feature. The difference is that from circular motion you go linear (to push down the button)
Sure, I do understand the tech is new, but only concept being advertised is what I found funny. I did mention that it adds convenience, though not a must have. Its cool, thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hey mate, I'm not against features! I do like these kind of stuff, though I am not a big fan of the frills. Basically if they project it like that is why you should buy it and ask astronomical $$ for that, thats when I get rebellious. No logic, but then thats how I am!

One major thing that I'm missing in my car are the powered mirrors, where you can close the whole stuff by the press of a button. Thats something I long for.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 08:50   #145
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey mate, I'm not against features! I do like these kind of stuff, though I am not a big fan of the frills. Basically if they project it like that is why you should buy it and ask astronomical $$ for that, thats when I get rebellious. No logic, but then thats how I am!

One major thing that I'm missing in my car are the powered mirrors, where you can close the whole stuff by the press of a button. Thats something I long for.
No issues Samm, I understand your point of view.
I meant the other Sam (The Trademark One), whose ownership account of a Superb (and especially the umbrella bit) is a must read.
Sorry about the confusion.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:14   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I do understand the tech is new, but only concept being advertised is what I found funny. I did mention that it adds convenience, though not a must have. Its cool, thats it.
Hey samm, I got your point mate, that was only a clarification. Hope you don't mind
Many people actually think that it's the same old starter button. (Agreed that it's not a must have)
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 20:31   #147
BHPian

I think the number one waste of money is cruise control on cars in India. I recently drove on the Mumbai Pune expressway and no one really follows any rule while driving and hence you are forced break lanes yourself, you have to keep varying your speed and in this case cruise control hampers your driving than aiding it in India and car makers are charging us for a function that we can't use.
Also voice assisted functions like in the new fiesta or the voice feedback in the Scorpio can get quite annoying, they need to make it work perfectly or not have it at all, it's just a distraction.
Things like ambient lighting and some other superficial stuff I don't mind so much. They may not be a practical requirement but adds to the emotional appeal of the car, personally speaking.
ishaanranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 02:40   #148
Senior - BHPian

The OEM equipment in Luxury cars are bound to be unnecessary due to the fact that the primary purpose of the car is mobility. Take the case of Mobile phones, the main function is communication, camera, music and video recording and playback, etc. may be unnecessary features for most of the Junta. Similarly for cars, rolling sun-blinds, voice-assist, Dual climate control, etc features of Luxury cars are unnecessary features for common man but are provided by the Luxury car manufacturer for the reason of exclusivity. Else how the chauffer-driven owner will be impressed and satisfied for their purchase.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 15:34   #149
Senior - BHPian

Please don't pound me for asking this, but does the dead pedal classify as a necessary item for a street car?

At least in my case (I believe the Baleno has something similar to the dead pedal), it's so unnecessary that it stands up to its name - dead all the time, with nobody using it. What prompted me to ask this question is that I've heard so many among us swear by the dead pedal, but I never got to know the real practical reason. No, I don't have any intention of mocking at those using it, but can we not rest our foot below the clutch pedal, is my genuine doubt? Or is it because those of us who pull the driver's seat close to the steering find it messing with the space (or lack of it)?

In the same breath, let me put across that I do not mind a dead pedal being present in my car, if it does not add much to the cost.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:46   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
... does the dead pedal classify as a necessary item for a street car? ...
1. You have to differentiate "a necessary item" from "a desirable facility"

2. Its desirability should not be in question, since
* It improves the reaction time when you need to get your foot into position on the clutch in an emergency. Obviously it will take longer if your foot is below the clutch, with the added possibility that it tangles with the bottom of the pedal when you want to move your foot in a hurry
* It reduces the strain on the calf muscles and tendons if one, in an attempt to obviate the above, keeps the foot hovering above the clutch pedal
* It reduces clutch wear if one keeps the foot in a way that the clutch is never fully 'coupled'

3. Why some manufacturers don't provide is not much of a mystery. The actual cost addition is only that of the rubber cover of the pedal, since the pedal is not an extra addition but an integral part of the pressed chassis. We all know of many other such acts of omission on the part of apathetic vehicle designers, especially where the cost of such facility has a totally ignorable impact on the price of the vehicle

4. The logic of '!necessary' does not work in the expectation that the price of the vehicle will reduce if the '!necessary' items are not provided. Pricing has a different logic altogether
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote