Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th March 2017, 00:34   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Not So Useful Technologies in Cars - What's Next?

Keyless access in my personal experience is very convenient and useful. You can keep the key in your pocket or your bag for the entire way.

Gear selector is useful when you want greater control in your car (say while overtaking or uphill). But again, it works best in dual clutch gearboxes not in CVTs. Give me a F-A-S-T dual clutch auto with paddle shifts and I'll probably prefer it over manual GB.

Would agree with ICE in centre dashboard. IMO, the display should be behind the steering wheel (like Audi's virtual cockpit). Will distract the driver lesser.
The Brutailer is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 01:20   #167
BANNED

I find them all useful.
Keyless entry is so nice. Super convenient.
Triptonic mode is lovely in my DSG because I'm too broke to buy the gti wheel with paddles. DSG without manual mode robs me of the fun of DSG farts and control.
HUD is insane in the beamer. You get to see how fast you're going without taking eyes off the road and well, that sort of makes you live a little bit longer ( if you choose to that is) Navi is sort of bad because there's no traffic updates in the Indian spec cars.
Lane departure, well no experience because not available in India. Highly reviewed online though.
Auto start stop : always turn it off. Major inconvenience. I don't like sitting in the car at a stop with the AC off.
Infotainment is by far the most important addition to me. I hate not having a good infotainment system. This is why you'll see how much BMW is advertising the idrive 5 with wireless car play and how Tesla, Volvo, Audi and MB are investing big on it. It's a lovely thing.

Hell if I'm paying greater than 25L I would not buy a car without these things. They add to the experience and well, that's what owning a car is all about. Everything depends on the budget. If you're spending less you can't expect these things. But once you start getting used to them. There's no turning back. Atleast for me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th March 2017 at 13:11. Reason: typo
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 05:22   #168
Senior - BHPian

I got into a friend's E250 for a quick spin; its his new car and I wanted to check it out.

I needed 5 minutes to orient myself to the car.

1. There's a freakin dial in the place a normal car has a gear shift lever. This dial is for the multi-media interface.
2. The actual gear selector is a stalk in a place where a normal car has turn indicators. And of course the turn indicators are in the left side because I'm in Australia and it costs a Million$ to re-order the levers.
3. The "Park" option in the gear selector is a push button like pressing eject button in the cassette player 20 years back.
4. The parking brake is activated by a mechanical foot operated level.

Why can't things be simple? Why do automakers take divergent approaches to simple things?

Being a Mercedes the E250 is so smooth and refined. Even though it was pathetic from an FTD pov (Example: dead steering) who cares? its comfortable and refined. But I can't be at peace. The owner shows off the Auto-Start/Stop function. Every stop, the car goes through the engine shut-down, shake-up start and delayed acceleration routine. I just turned off the function for the remaining distance.

This feature again is puzzling. Why would someone buying a luxury car go through this torture? To save money/earth?

I like the Keyless entry and go. Very useful.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th April 2017 at 09:14. Reason: break > brake
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 06:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

Good thread & I've been thinking on the same lines for several months now

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
  • 6. Keyless Access
  • 5. Gear Selectors (in automatics)
  • 4. Halfway HUDs
  • 3. Lane Departure Warnings
  • 2. Auto Start/Stop
  • 1. Center Stack/Infotainment Systems
Adding to the above,
  • Auto wipers
  • Auto headlamps
  • Tire pressure sensor
auto wipers & headlamps are two things I hate to the core; I mean, are we so dumb enough (or automakers are making us so or charging us on account of these) to turn on the lights when dark or wipers when it rains?

TPS is useful & deserves the purpose I agree, but then, with a tubeless tires these days, very rare chances of tire pressure dropping so rapidly + one cannot be so stupid enough not to keep checking these things for every break or understand the car dynamics when driving. But then, if they have this TPS for mass sold cars, then atleast it makes sense.

And these days its too much of electronics & I guess there has to be some place to put an end to so much of complex electronics which only gives a feel of luxury, but when one of the sensor goes kaput, the faith on entire car shakes!!
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 07:23   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

auto wipers & headlamps are two things I hate to the core; I mean, are we so dumb enough (or automakers are making us so or charging us on account of these) to turn on the lights when dark or wipers when it rains?
Actually some call it dusk sensing lights and I find it extremely useful in where I am. We drive through tunnels/subways all the time. Even within city limits. The headlights turn on and the interior lights including the entertainment console display, dim automatically.

There's also Auto dimming function. If I have to drive in high beam in unlit roads or on in the hills and if there's an oncoming vehicle then the lights dim and revert back to high beam automatically.

So it's good from a convenience and safety point of view. Imagine if auto dimming was a standard feature in India. You'd love it.

The downside to this? I have to remember to turn this thing called a knob for switching on lights in some cars

Coming to auto wipers, its not just about the thing turning on or off. Its about not bothering about changing the speed/interval of the wipers based on the rain. The system takes care of it. Again its a combination of safety and convenience.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 10:56   #171
BHPian

A few of my peeves:

Keyless access (a.k.a comfort access) - If youíve not yet had it, it need not be on the must-have feature list. But, if you have got used to it, then it sort of becomes a must-have. Iíve been using this feature for several years now but after my recent car change, I now have to take the key out. I am still finding it a pain. A lot of jeans have these small pockets where the key tucks in comfortably which is what I normally use and taking it out of that small pocket often adds to the pain. An additional point is, a lot of manufacturers are advertising keyless stop/ go feature. Now this bugs me, if you are giving keyless give it along with comfort access. Why make me take it out for access, shove it back into the small jeans key pocket, take it back out again after you stop to lock and then put it back in again! Once Iíve taken it out, no big deal to put it into the starter slot I guess.

I am not yet a fan of any radar based technologies yet - lane departure warnings, collision detection etc. 1) Theyíll take forever to be useful in India and 2) even outside India it has be so common place in all cars with standardisation of lane markings for it to be really useful. Of course the smart and informed will apply judgement and not give in to technology completely but then most users are just plain users.

Auto start/ stop - While this seem to be the right thing to have, it is quite an inconvenience too. Iíve had occasions such as making a U turn, merging into traffic etc. where you do come to a brief stop before moving again. Engine stopping at these times is a but disconcerting. It does come back on again when you dab the throttle but I still get rattled in such situations. Imagine this happening when you are wading through water and you make a brief stop. Maybe they shouldíve built in a delay before the engine decides that it is idling and stops. Again one of those technologies that is, per me, not yet ready for mainstream especially in India.

Built-in navigation (specific to India) - With the randomness of Indian addresses I find it extremely painful to find destinations in the Nav system. Most of the built-in navigation uses map my India which may also be a limiting factor. So inspite of built-in navigation, you still need google map navigation on your phone.

Park assist feature - Fancy? Yes. But useful? Highly suspect.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:05   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, the Govt. has mandated that all new two-wheelers have auto-headlamps (always-on) effective April '17.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:53   #173
BHPian

All features are good to have, when the base safety features are mandatory. Make 2 airbags, ABS with EBD, fog lamps, rear wash and wipe a mandatory feature and then let the car makers differentiate their offerings with such gimmicks. Problem start when people start preferring a sunroof over airbags, or an auto wipers over rear wash and wipe, or keyless system over fog lamps.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 13:59   #174
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*
auto wipers & headlamps are two things I hate to the core; I mean, are we so dumb enough (or automakers are making us so or charging us on account of these) to turn on the lights when dark *SNIPPED FOR RELEVANCE*
Unfortunately I have to say, yes, we are.

The issue is NOT when someone takes the car out when it's dark - they then turn the lights on. The issue is when they have been driving through the afternoon and it slowly turns dark and they're still driving. It never occurs to them to turn the lights on.

I have seen so many examples of this that it is no longer funny. I see such examples every day.

Therefore I say, ambient-light sensing headlights are an absolute necessity and not a luxury.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 14:02   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Auto wipers
Tire pressure sensor[/list]auto wipers & headlamps are two things I hate to the core; I mean, are we so dumb enough (or automakers are making us so or charging us on account of these) to turn on the lights when dark or wipers when it rains?

TPS is useful & deserves the purpose I agree, but then, with a tubeless tires these days, very rare chances of tire pressure dropping so rapidly + one cannot be so stupid enough not to keep checking these things for every break or understand the car dynamics when driving. But then, if they have this TPS for mass sold cars, then atleast it makes sense.!!
While you are free to have such an opinion, I firmly believe that TPMS is a life/tire saver.

I am sure you have not driven a car equipped with a TPMS. In case of a slow leakage [which is hard to fathom] the TPMS does throw warning which can warn you and hence you can check upon it. Neglecting it would result in tire temperature [not pressure] running high resulting in a tire burst.
You may read BHPian 1100D's experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3474394 (Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode)

Now coming to auto wash wipe, it is good to have for me. Whenever there is drizzle, in no auto-wipe cars, you have to manually select it and the the interval mode is too soon for these situations. I am sure with a use of this in a car, you might have a change of opinion and start appreciating it. It works eve when the HCV splashes your windscreen with blinding water and it comes on [much quicker than you may anticipate] thus being a life-saver.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 16:59   #176
BHPian

Default Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Radar assisted technologies like Lane control, Automatic emergency brakes, Radar assisted cruise control are actually useful technologies and are proven abroad.

Similarly one can argue that the auto/adaptive headlamps, rain sensing wipers are all useful in making the driver's job easier.

Every feature that's there today in modern cars appeases to someone or the other.
Some find the Touchscreen AV to be useless, but some find it great, especially when the screen can do tricks like, able to mirror your smartphone's display!

Some will find key less entry, start stop buttons etc gimmicky. Others may term it as a must have.

But, regardless of all the above, I personally feel that we are introducing too much more radiation into our live sphere. Too much bluetooth, wi fi, radio, radar, sonar etc.
Isn't that going to affect us and our children in the long term?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:30   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Actually some call it dusk sensing lights and I find it extremely useful in where I am
After seeing its actual use, I think I'll change my opinion a little; its not that useless as I had thought initially. I'm only concerned about the reliability of the sensor & its longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Coming to auto wipers...its not just about the thing turning on or off. Its about not bothering about changing the speed/interval of the wipers based on the rain
I love this part too; not worrying about speed/interval & things taken care automatically, but being an electronic item with sensor I had apprehension & today morning it proved!! The blades were rubbing against the dry glass with dead mosquitoes on it.
1. The wiper went on its own for no reason; no rain, no sprinklers, no water whatsover. Pure dry weather, typical April in Tamilnadu
2. Besides being automatic, hopefully during the rains, it lets me also to choose my own speed/interval because, I would rather slow down considerably & use less wipers than driving normally & use fast wiper, if you know what I mean
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

For me, it has to be the semi-automated driving systems such as Tesla's autopilot. Having tried it recently, I admit it is cool but I wouldn't use it. The trouble is that when it doesn't know what to do, it returns control to a human who hasn't been driving for an extended period and is momentarily startled! Unlike aeroplanes where there is usually enough altitude and time for the pilots to figure out the situation and regain control, driving does not have this margin.

I'll have it either completely manual or completely automated - the in between solution is not one that I am comfortable with.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:58   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
For me, it has to be the semi-automated driving systems such as Tesla's autopilot. Having tried it recently, I admit it is cool but I wouldn't use it. The trouble is that when it doesn't know what to do, it returns control to a human who hasn't been driving for an extended period and is momentarily startled! Unlike aeroplanes where there is usually enough altitude and time for the pilots to figure out the situation and regain control, driving does not have this margin.

I'll have it either completely manual or completely automated - the in between solution is not one that I am comfortable with.
That sounds scary.
Having experienced the Autopilot in first person, could you pls share some more experience you had in it, and in what scenario does it returns control.
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:15   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

Sounds interesting. What I find interesting here is how does the the autopilot system know when it is not able to understand what to do? This programming logic should be very strong.

Assuming the coding system/algorithms are strong so that the system exactly knows the current situation is something beyond its comprehension, then it works if control is returned (though the human might not be ready as you rightly pointed out).
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote