Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd April 2017, 18:08   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Not So Useful Technologies in Cars - What's Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
  • Auto headlamps
Auto-headlamps are equally important for you to be seen by the other drivers. You may want to keep the judgement of how much you can see, and hence decide when you want to switch on your lights. But it is equally important that you be visible to the other drivers on the road. Hence this helps many others than just one person (yourself)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:45   #182
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

I don't call them 'Unnecessary', necessity varies from person to person. Let's call it "Least used equipments / features"

Few from myside (least / never used)

1) Follow me head lamp
Used it only to check the functioning, never got a chance to use it in a real life situation (at least in recent days)

2) Rear window Curtains
Hardly used a couple of times when I had Linea

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 3rd April 2017 at 21:46.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 08:55   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Auto-headlamps are equally important for you to be seen by the other drivers.
In my limited opinion, auto headlight and DRL are just not for us (Indian's). Our terrain is mostly tropical and we don't have sudden foggy, misty or cloudy conditions that Nordics experience all through the year.

DRL and Auto headlights and recently always-on headlights in motorcycles are yet another way for light bulb and LED manufacturers to make money in a country where we have ample sunlight all through the year.

Absolute waste of resources.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 09:07   #184
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In india, one thing for sure is unnecessary that is Turn Indicators.

Some dont use, some dont know when to use, some do not bother if its blinking the whole time, Some remove those to customize their ride, some who use those, still have to use hand signals just to make sure that everyone on road gets the message.

Ry_der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 09:55   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
In my limited opinion, auto headlight and DRL are just not for us (Indian's).
agree with you on the DRL part. But DRL and Auto-headlights are for different purposes.

Regarding the always on head-lights, most, if not all, run at full power. Bulbs in such head-lights actually last for years, quite similar to bulbs in night-only use. This is being implemented in India, and I hope they use the same principle here also.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:11   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
DRL and Auto headlights and recently always-on headlights in motorcycles are yet another way for light bulb and LED manufacturers to make money in a country where we have ample sunlight all through the year.
I find AHO really useful on my bike. Bikes have very minimal visibility in the rear view mirror and the stock horns on most bikes are pathetic to say the least. Lights do help to catch the attention of other road users, and I do feel less people cutting off my path on the highways - which was a common experience earlier during overtaking maneuvers.

Sure people go crazy trying to point out that headlamps are on. But who cares, thats also catching their attention and adding to the safety anyways.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 11:20   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That sounds scary.
Having experienced the Autopilot in first person, could you pls share some more experience you had in it, and in what scenario does it returns control.
It was a short drive and it worked perfectly with me but the instructions state that the autopilot will return control if it does not know what to do with audible and MID warnings. There are many YouTube videos of this such as the one below.

Again, fantastic tech and it will be better than any driver in a few years but the sudden return of control can be dangerous in my opinion.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 12:14   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is being implemented in India, and I hope they use the same principle here also.
I think auto headlight on (during low light condition) would have sounded amazing Condor. I agree, standardization is actually causing us to pay for something that we don't need. E.g. Would I need A/C system in my car if I am in Artic zone. Even in summer's there I would not need it. If they make country specific features, reception from public will be more and make it more lucrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But who cares, thats also catching their attention and adding to the safety anyways.
I am still struggling to convince myself Crazy Driver. Kindly don't get me wrong.

Exactly and this too will fizzle out soon. Let me tell you why. If you would have driven European countries and most probably even in States, cars and motorcycles flash their headlights during daytime only if they want to overtake the vehicle ahead of them.

Its a silent and decent indication to the driver ahead and it is well received. But, when this is applied 24/7/365, it will attract the same fate of scenario as if it had been without headlights on.

Headlights have special purpose. Both for guidance and indication. Having it shining all through the day is just nothing but waste of resource in my opinion and especially in Indian condition, we just have no use of DRL's and AHO. Infact I would have been absolutely happy if the manufacturers made ABS and all wheel disk brakes compulsory for all passenger vehicles.

But this feature is just like pushing something down our throat even when we are not for it or don't need it.

Last edited by prithm : 4th April 2017 at 12:19. Reason: Missed responding to Condor. :)
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 15:04   #189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have come to HATE the auto-wiper system for two reasons:

Was driving a friend's JAG last monsoon, when these freaking things came ALIVE automatically (of-course, how else) scaring the daylights out of me.

During another drive, there was some dirt & grime on the glass. The things came to life again and believe me that screeching rubbing noise cut through my heart like anything.

I would suggest that automakers add water sprinkle system, just before the wiper come ON so that the damage to glass is minimal.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is online now   Reply With Quote