Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th November 2011, 12:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
@vina and libranof1987,

I was purely talking about city driving in India where ABS is not required, as I said it may sound radical, but that is my opinion indeed.

As for your comments about gravel roads in India, this is exactly where ABS may not be useful, as it will increase braking distance.

@Figopian

I read all the responses to your post above. Let me clarify - the incident I related to earlier happened right in the city - the speed was also not much (may be 50-60).

Highways have high speed, no doubt, but cities have less spacing between vehicles and more "surprises" (some biker trying to commit suicide by overtaking you, coming in front and then applying brakes suddenly).

Also, regarding your comment on US studies - ABS does increase braking distance in some (unusual and rare) cases and for expert drivers who can also stay calm ABS will have very little utility (threshold braking is better). But that is academic for guys like me - first of I'm not that good, second I'm not sure I'll be able to keep calm.

If you really want to name a useless feature - in my view airbags are between slightly useful to totally useless to downright dangerous. All studies that have been done to gauge the effectiveness have been done for cases where airbags were deployed on dummies that had seatbelts on - without seatbelts airbag can hurt you more than a mild accident (which may still be able to deploy airbags).

between studies with seatbelts properly worn but no airbags and with seatbelt + airbag (no studies with airbag but no seatbelts exist AFAIK) there has been no significant difference in injury rate or fatalities for studies that do direct measurements. There are empirical studies done by Highway safety authority of US that try to measure the impact by counting fatality rates between time periods after seatbelts were introduced and time periods after airbags were introduced - that study did find differences but the methodology is obviously BS (seatbelt introduction doesn't mean all cars will have it, nor does it mean that people were in regular habit of wearing the same. By the time airbags were introduced both of these had mostly happened. also airgbags were introduced with a lot of other features - how do you account for that?).
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:34   #92
BHPian

@ suhaas307

I completely agree with your assessment. Safety features are there to assist you in extreme conditions, but a lot depends on the style of driving one wants to adopt to. Try avoiding getting into such situations, the better for one's safety. If you wanna drive @150kmph or so and expect car to behave properly on turns/slippery roads, of course ABS is a must!! (I am not denying the fact that ABS may come into effect at lower speeds as well but just giving an example) Also, one example shows, how bad drivers cann't be helped by ABS in such extreme situations.

Having said that, can we leave aside ABS (from this thread) and continue discussing on other equipments please ?

Last edited by Figopian : 29th November 2011 at 12:38.
Figopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:48   #93
BHPian

I read the linked article in the opening post and found it funny. Seems like the author has some personal vendetta towards the "RPM dial"
Coming back to the topic the major things I hate as OEMs are oodles of chrome and special edition stickers (Maruti is the King of this). Indians love chrome, but not all, for heaven's sake. For me, many of the so called chrome garnish feels garish. So is the case with stickers. Most of the special editions have stickers which make the cars ugly IMO. My friend's father bought an Alto (X-cite or X-fun, don't remember) for which he paid around 16K extra. When asked what was different on this one, he replied "It has 24 extra stickers". I was like
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I read the linked article in the opening post and found it funny. Seems like the author has some personal vendetta towards the "RPM dial"
Coming back to the topic the major things I hate as OEMs are oodles of chrome and special edition stickers (Maruti is the King of this). Indians love chrome, but not all, for heaven's sake. For me, many of the so called chrome garnish feels garish. So is the case with stickers. Most of the special editions have stickers which make the cars ugly IMO. My friend's father bought an Alto (X-cite or X-fun, don't remember) for which he paid around 16K extra. When asked what was different on this one, he replied "It has 24 extra stickers". I was like
Seriously, can't understand the fascination with stickers. Worst stickering job had to be the Mahindra Logan limited edition, I mean, they could not have ruined the looks any further if they had tried their best. Those were the most useless attempts at window dressing a car.

For me, I think most OEM's skimp on real accessories, infact apart from the stickering, I like all the accessories they do provide, and don't think anything is useless. Like I love the utility of a rear defogger n wiper, central locking, power windows, auto folding mirrors, parcel tray, ABS, Airbags, tachometer, split folding rear seats.

Additionally, I think they need to include matting, light in the engine bay and boot, these are like mandatory requirements.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 14:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

I find plastic wheel hubcaps on steel wheels pretty useless. I know these wannabe alloys do serve an aesthetic purpose and are cost effective. But generally I find, over a period of time they become loose, cracked etc.. which makes the wheels look like they are wobbling when running. Also many of them rattle when driving over broken roads. I prefer clean bare steel wheels to these plastic hubcaps anyday.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:08   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I find plastic wheel hubcaps on steel wheels pretty useless. I know these wannabe alloys do serve an aesthetic purpose and are cost effective. But generally I find, over a period of time they become loose, cracked etc.. which makes the wheels look like they are wobbling when running. Also many of them rattle when driving over broken roads. I prefer clean bare steel wheels to these plastic hubcaps anyday.
Thats your Laura alloy on your avatar, think of the rest of us without alloys, caps are one foot in the door, basically an advert that we didn't get the lowest version. Punto wheelcaps have to be bolted on, so they dont fly off after a grande crater. Steel wheels are cool - something like what the Gypsy has, but what about wheels that are painted black, they look cheap.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:34   #97
BHPian

Most of the time non oem wheelcaps scratch and break and apppear to wobble , but if u uy original oem wheelcaps the ones costing 1300 upwards for a set of 4 for alto as opposed to 450 outside u will see the difference and they do not foll off that easily too .Used non oem wheelcaps (2 sets) got cracked and now oem wheelcaps 4 yrs no problems only 1 fell off so now i tie them all with a plastic clip to the wheel.
anky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 18:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Thats your Laura alloy on your avatar, think of the rest of us without alloys, caps are one foot in the door, basically an advert that we didn't get the lowest version. Punto wheelcaps have to be bolted on, so they dont fly off after a grande crater. Steel wheels are cool - something like what the Gypsy has,
I do have a Santro and a WagonR with plain steel wheels, no caps . Its just that I hate to see wheels wobbling due to ill fitted wheelcaps. As you mentioned, well designed steel wheels like the Gypsy's , or the old Palio 1.2's, or even the Santro for that matter look elegant. But it seems their main purpose is to let the neighbours know that we didn't buy the lowest version .

Quote:
what about wheels that are painted black, they look cheap.
Wheels are painted black to make the wheelcap look good actually. If not for the wheel caps, they wouldn't have painted it black.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 18:40   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Seriously, can't understand the fascination with stickers. Worst stickering job had to be the Mahindra Logan limited edition, I mean, they could not have ruined the looks any further if they had tried their best. Those were the most useless attempts at window dressing a car.
Mahindra in the sticker shop, eh?

then you need to see something out of the factory which a BHPian thought should be up in the weird and wacky thread!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post2472965
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 13:58   #100
BHPian

One of the basic uses of the tachometer starts as early as the break-in period. It is advised that the car sticks below a certain RPM band rather than the speed of the vehicle.

My list of useless equipments will be:
  • 40:60 seat split (as GTO pointed out)
  • Crappy speakers and HU
  • Hill climb assist (Agreed that this is a good feature for new drivers, but one doesn't remain a beginner for long and the feature is going to seem pretty useless later)
  • auto sensing wipers, auto headlights, etc
I welcome any safety features that are introduced. You might not need them for every day use, but they can make a difference between life and death during that one terribly bad situation.
w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:12   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
One of the basic uses of the tachometer starts as early as the break-in period. It is advised that the car sticks below a certain RPM band rather than the speed of the vehicle.

My list of useless equipments will be:[list]
[*]Hill climb assist (Agreed that this is a good feature for new drivers, but one doesn't remain a beginner for long and the feature is going to seem pretty useless later)
Very true!

Also, such gizmos will only make driving easier. And when driving becomes much easier, one tends to get lethargic. And drivers will begin to get dumber. New drivers will not be trained to climb an incline by using the clutch and brake correctly and balance it. Clutch control will be a thing of the past.

I am a petrol-head, and don't believe in too much driver-assist.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

I think Hill-hold or Hill-climb assist is not that useless. I would definitely vote for it. Imagine you are on some tourist place in a group and the person driving is not that expert on this particular area i.e. balancing clutch and brakes or if there is very little margin and the expert driver is either sleeping or not well, then this function is of extreme help. Same goes for women drivers who may be good city drivers but have not experienced hill-climbing like situation. And for petrolheads, not believing in any kind of assistance while driving, I think this feature needs to be activated manually. For me this feature may come handy in terrible situation once in a while and is of extreme importance.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I think Hill-hold or Hill-climb assist is not that useless. I would definitely vote for it. Imagine you are on some tourist place in a group and the person driving is not that expert on this particular area i.e. balancing clutch and brakes or if there is very little margin and the expert driver is either sleeping or not well, then this function is of extreme help. Same goes for women drivers who may be good city drivers but have not experienced hill-climbing like situation. And for petrolheads, not believing in any kind of assistance while driving, I think this feature needs to be activated manually. For me this feature may come handy in terrible situation once in a while and is of extreme importance.
I agree, but my example is more related to the city and especially the office commute. One precaution I take is to observe the car in front of me if I am approaching a red light, especially the ones on an incline(plenty in BLR),2 kinds I am careful of are big(C+) cars driven by the owner or cars with couples. At the light the owner-driver will pick up his BB and sure enough before he has pulled up the hand brake, the couple will have the driver using both hands, to explain whatever they are discussing. I don't know if Hill assist works in these situations, they should link it with BB or the sound level in the car - maybe this is still in the pipeline.
avira_tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:14   #104
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Unnecessary OEM equipment in today's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
The most useless OEM feature in most modern cars - Start/Stop button. What next? Ctrl+Alt+Del to temporarily lock the car? Or maybe to put the car in 'sleep' mode?

One more feaure that I can (rather would love to) do without is the TPMS.

Even I used to think that parking sensors are mere gizmos, until I drove the Laura and the Superb. With cars with such such low rear visibility, a sensor is required.
What I could do without, is the auto dipping LORVM (Laura L&K, Superb etc). I know the distance between the kerb and the car. Rather I know how to judge. No need for the mirror to actually help me do that!
^^What he said.

Plus, in my Vento there is a little handle like thing on the passenger seat that people in the back can use to push the seat in front. It's THE most useless accessory ever devised and installed in a vehicle ever!

Those horrible looking decals on otherwise nice looking vehicles like the Pajero and Endeavour are also on my list.

Runflats have to be the worst idea that BMW ever came up with. One sincerely hopes the idea never catches on.

I also think companies should offer OE options (at a price) for ICE. You should be able to mix and match what you want: USB, SD card, DVD screen, GPS, reverse camera etc. If they can't do it, they should just allow customers to go ahead and install whatever the hell HU we want to without threatening to void the warranty etc.!

I find the tiptronic AND paddle shift offered in the Superb DSG completely redundant. But I suppose when you're shelling out big bucks, it's a luxury one shouldn't complain about!

Edit: How did I forget the Passat's "park-asist" facility Though it is a neat hook and got plenty of eyeballs thanks to some intelligent advertising on TV, which driver worth his salt would not want to park a car himself!!!

Last edited by noopster : 1st December 2011 at 15:17.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:18   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^What he said.

Plus, in my Vento there is a little handle like thing on the passenger seat that people in the back can use to push the seat in front. It's THE most useless accessory ever devised and installed in a vehicle ever!
Oh, I know what you're talking about!

It's actually meant for Saaheb Ji. Makes life easier for him when he wants more leg-room. Also doesn't distract the driver when he's busy switching lanes and pissing everybody off, on the road.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote