Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th November 2011, 12:44   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai Santro Xing: Engine shakes and stalls

Hi all

This is regarding my 6 year old Santro Xing. Recently, barely 500 m after filling up the almost empty fuel tank with 500 rs of petrol, the car suddenly gave me a jerk and started vibrating and shaking. I somehow managed to reach home (also another 500m away) by depressing the clutch pedal more than usual in order to prevent stalling.

I suspected some garbage in the fuel. So I went to the Maruti Authorized Service Centre at the same pump (since Hyundai was too far away and this appeared to be a minor issue). The guy lifted the car, took out some metallic part, blew in it and said that he couldn't find any garbage. The car went along fine for a km but starts to vibrate and shake after that.

Now, when I drive this, sometimes it will go along just fine (Saket (Delhi) to Taj Mansingh no issue). Other times, it starts shaking after a km only. One thing is certain though, if it rests for an hour, the vibration will cease for sometime when I use it again.

Could this be an issue with garbage in petrol or is this to do with fuel pump? I will be taking this to the service centre but the last thing I want is an unwarranted bill for changing parts that aren't really necessary to.

Thanks!
ricky_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Santro Xing: Engine shakes and stalls

looks like there is problem with fuel supply. Could be an issue with the fuel pump.

Do you face this when you are trying to accelerate or it just vibrates after sometime no matter what?
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:13   #3
BHPian

Thanks anilisanil. The Maruti service centre guy suggested that it may be a fuel pump issue as well. I am curious to find out why did the fuel pump started to behave so after refueling when it was running perfect just before that.

The car vibrates (or rather breathes heavily) when in neutral but starts vibrating vigorously when in gear. So if it vibrates heavily when in gear, I can just put it to neutral and the car can freewheel.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Check fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors and the fuel in your tank. ECU scan might give you a clue to make the troubleshooting easier. Is the idling unstable too?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 14:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro Xing: Engine shakes and stalls

Like everything else fuel pumps do have life, but then again I am just saying it could be one of the reasons. Another thing I could think of is some debri in the fuel sump?

Also, check if revving up in neutral is troubling the car, if I am not mistaken the vibrations must be akin to something when you run of the car when the car jerks violently for the lack of fuel, so fuel supply is the problem. But the source could be anything among, plumbing, pump or the sump.

One way to go about is to ask the HASS guys to replace the fuel pump with a spare one and see if that does the trick, if it does not then the culprit is not the pump.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 14:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

checked the fuel filter and the sparks?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:54   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

This could be a case of clogged fuel lines. Don't let the tank run low on fuel. Always ensure you fill up when there is ~2-3 liters of petrol in the tank, since this will ensure that the gunk in your tank doesn't get sucked into the fuel system.
gpa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 13:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Like everything else fuel pumps do have life, but then again I am just saying it could be one of the reasons. Another thing I could think of is some debri in the fuel sump?

Also, check if revving up in neutral is troubling the car, if I am not mistaken the vibrations must be akin to something when you run of the car when the car jerks violently for the lack of fuel, so fuel supply is the problem. But the source could be anything among, plumbing, pump or the sump.

One way to go about is to ask the HASS guys to replace the fuel pump with a spare one and see if that does the trick, if it does not then the culprit is not the pump.
Thank you for identifying the possible causes. I will ask them to check the fuel pump. What makes it difficult to identify is the randomness in its nature. Sometimes, it doesn't happen at all. Sometimes, it may happen after a long while.

Quote:
This could be a case of clogged fuel lines. Don't let the tank run low on fuel. Always ensure you fill up when there is ~2-3 liters of petrol in the tank, since this will ensure that the gunk in your tank doesn't get sucked into the fuel system.
gpa, I also think that there is co-relation with the lack of fuel in the tank and the likelihood of this happening. Will read about clogged fuel lines. Thanks!
Old 21st December 2011, 20:05   #9
BHPian

Update: The Rishabh Hyundai people at Okhla, Delhi blamed this on some faulty sensor in / near the engine. While they didn't explain which sensor it is, they said that they have replaced it with a spare one and ran the car long enough to confirm that this is the issue.

Apparently, they found this out through some computerized system which automatically detects the flaw. I asked them to check for fuel pump etc but they didn't citing that computer analysis.

Now this sensor costs about 4.5k and I have just paid them a cool 10k for the 60k service where they have changed whatever they could possibly imagine. I guess my Oct 03 Xing XG is now valued around 80k - 90k, and these spends are driving me crazy!
Old 21st December 2011, 20:49   #10
BHPian

I guess its a O2 sensor/lamda sensor. My palio had a similar problem and the culprit was O2 sensor. Got it changed for 3750rs (Bosch one).
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 11:50   #11
BHPian

Thanks all. Just to update, they have changed the sensor now. The service advisor told me that it is a engine crank shaft sensor. I don't know what that means, but he said it isn't the O2 sensor. The car runs fine now.

It is a pity that the sensor wasn't readily available and I was told of a few days waiting time. Given this, I decided to drive my car home instead of leaving it at the workshop. Due to the sensor issue, I ended up doing a lot of clutch riding and wore out my already 63k old clutch plate and pressure plate. So, I ended up changing that as well. Although I asked for old parts for clutch set, they didn't provide me with the same. I could not insist as the car was driven home by them instead of me picking it up from the workshop. The old sensor, however, is with me.

The sensor, plus the clutch set costed 7290, out of which the sensor costed 3800 odd. Add to this the Rs. 10,000 service, I have spent about 17000 rs now. I hope this lasts for atleast another 10-20k without major service costs!
Old 13th September 2013, 09:09   #12

Default Santro stalling and starting problems after 5 kms

My Santro LP (2002 Oct 52k Kms )has of late been stalling after a drive of about 5kms and then refusing to start. As this has been happening in the middle of the road wasn't able to diagnose the problem at that point of time.After a while it does start again. The Hyundai technician replaced the electrical relay but the problem persists.
It may be mentioned that the problem occurs sporadically and does not recur on certain days even after a 10 km drive.
There is absolutely no problem on cold starting.
It was only recently that the car stalled and refused to start in the vicinity of a Local Garage near my residence. Since I had apprehended a Fuel pump failure . asked the mechanic to check it and found no fault; However there was No Current in All the spark plug cords. The mechanic thought it was due to a problem with the ignition coil as the car started on its own after re-attaching the cords. The Hyundai technician however is not sure and opined that the problem might even be in the ECM .
I'm at a loss ( being technically ignorant ) as to what could be the problem . I'll get the coil changed by the local garage and wait.
Any help/ suggestions from the experts would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
drjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote