Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st May 2012, 12:00   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Air-con compressor in a diesel car does not trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivbel View Post
I have had it fixed at Girimaji Enterprises, an authorized Maruti service center many times over, and every time they told me that it was a rat problem, and the Rats have been chewing the pipes, and cables. Even after they fixing the problem, the problem persists. Finally, a mechanic was referred to me, who apparently could fix the problems. He took the Car last week.
Though your query is completely , my 2 cents -

I am surprised an authorised service centre could not fix your problem. Maybe you should meet a senior engineer of that Service Center and report your persistent problem. If still the case is not solved you can try approaching another authorised service center with a complete history, all the best.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 17:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default 2016 Baleno Diesel AC Query

I have a Query, my friend recently got a 6200 km run Baleno Diesel Top version with climate control. When he showed me the car, at idling rpm the AC compressor kept shutting every 25 to 30 seconds and then after 15 seconds would restart again. I set the temperature to the lowest, fan speed to the highest, even shut off the climate control and kept everything to full, still the same behaviour. What could it be? or is this behaviour normal for Baleno Diesels? Damn irritating this.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 17:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2016 Baleno Diesel AC Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I have a Query, my friend recently got a 6200 km run Baleno Diesel Top version with climate control. When he showed me the car, at idling rpm the AC compressor kept shutting every 25 to 30 seconds and then after 15 seconds would restart again. I set the temperature to the lowest, fan speed to the highest, even shut off the climate control and kept everything to full, still the same behaviour. What could it be? or is this behaviour normal for Baleno Diesels? Damn irritating this.
The same thing happens in my S Cross 1.6 too. Whereas in my 2010 Swift the compressor used to run continuously.
rakesh_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 19:27   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When he showed me the car, at idling rpm the AC compressor kept shutting every 25 to 30 seconds and then after 15 seconds would restart again.
Nothing abnormal buddy. In the top end models the ACC doesn't let the compressor running continuously.

It senses (Read calculates) the difference between the data acquired from cabin temperature sensor and solar sensor. Depending on this difference, it decides the duration for letting the compressor ON.

Same thing happens in my Swift but the compressor in my Ertiga and Alto K10 run continuously till the A/C button is kept ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Whereas in my 2010 Swift the compressor used to run continuously.
Your S-Cross is Alpha, right?
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 20:42   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Query, my friend recently got a 6200 km run Baleno Diesel Top version with climate control. When he showed me the car, at idling rpm the AC compressor kept shutting every 25 to 30 seconds and then after 15 seconds would restart again.
That means no VD compressor here. Strange in a car with ACC.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 22:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

The air-con compressor would shut to control the temperature to the set level even in cars without Climate Control, if the temperature control switch is set to lower temperature levels. This, perhaps, is wired to a thermostat for temperature control. Or else why is this switch there in the first place.
Attached Images

rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 23:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am having terrible NVH with my Micra diesel's a/c cutting off and coming on every 30 sec or so. I checked a brand new Micra D and found the same. The SA connected a pressure gauge and showed me that it cuts off once a particular pressure is reached and soon the pressure drops quickly and then the compressor turns on (or rather the clutch engages, I am not sure) at a minimum pressure. This does not happen if the fan is kept high and so I guess the cut-off-and-on is to prevent ice formation on the evaporator(?).

But why not for my Vento which too is ACC? the compressor does not cut off at all like this, which is a boon to the NVH characteristics. So I have to believe that it does not blindly dependent on if the a/c is climate controlled or not.

Last edited by thoma : 27th August 2016 at 00:06.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 23:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That means no VD compressor here. Strange in a car with ACC.

Regards
Sutripta

My Mk1 Octavia vRS with auto climate control comes with Sanden SD7V16 variable displacement compressor with a magnetic clutch and it turns itself on and off while in operation.

http://www.sanden.com/pistoncompressors.html

Jetta has clutchless PX variable displacement compressor with electrically controlled refrigerant control valve.

Last edited by Sankar : 26th August 2016 at 23:45.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 06:58   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The air-con compressor would shut to control the temperature to the set level even in cars without Climate Control, if the temperature control switch is set to lower temperature levels. This, perhaps, is wired to a thermostat for . Or else why is this switch there in the first place.
That knob in the picture is used just to operate a louvre which opens the air path through the heater coil.Essentially that means mixing of hot and cold air for temp control as the knob is moved from the Blue position to varying degrees of red.

In the Corolla ACC , I found that the louvre was motor operated and hence setting the temperature higher than , say the outside temp.would allow the heater louvre to open partially.

This is an inefficient way of operating an AC.

There is a temp. sensor on the evaporator and that helps the compressor cut on and off.

This is how old gen clutch operated systems work , from what I know.

The pressure switch in the circuit prevents the compressor from turning on in a low refrigerant pressure situation ; have experienced this first hand with my Corolla in Surat.

The Superking AC in my Padmini had a thermostat ring to control temperature which , to me , seemed more sophisticated.There was also a pot meter control to cut off the AC compressor during hi acceleration.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 07:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
That knob in the picture is used just to operate a louvre which opens the air path through the heater coil.Essentially that means mixing of hot and cold air for temp control as the knob is moved from the Blue position to varying degrees of red..
Thanks for the info and yes, in this case it is an inefficient way of control but offering passenger comfort.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th August 2016 at 07:45.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 10:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

The compressor of my M800 would cut off just like the room air conditioners. Earlier if the temperature was on hotter side and later (or never in hot summers) if set at the coolest level. Later on when heaters became standard in cars, the compressor would never cut off and all that the temperature knob did was to mix hot air with cold to maintain the set temperature.

In order for the compressor to cut off at a temperature set by the knob, there has to be a separate control for switching the heater on. In most cars the temperature knob just adjusts the heater and not AC.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 20:59   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
My Mk1 Octavia vRS with auto climate control comes with Sanden SD7V16 variable displacement compressor with a magnetic clutch and it turns itself on and off while in operation.
Did you note when it switches off?
Switching off should only be when an abnormal condition like overheated engine, or high head pressure is encountered.

Temperature control by cycling the compressor is, I would think, reserved only for the cheaper cars. It is not comfortable, and the primary goal of an AC should be comfort. The norm is to blend hot and cold air.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote