Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th December 2011, 21:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Lower mileage in the East Coast winter. Why?

An excellent thread on low mpg during winters. 9 reasons why your winter fuel economy bites! - MetroMPG.com

the increased drag from high density air contributes to the low mpg. thankfully in south India we don't have severe winters
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 21:51   #17
BHPian

Noopster , an American gallon is about 3.5 litres . A British gallon is about 4.5 litres. Check your calculations again.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 07:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I really think arijith is making too big a deal over this. 30 mpg, which he claims to regularly get, is equivalent to 12.75 kmpl. And 25 mpg is 10.625 kmpl. Both these are pretty good numbers for the petrol CRV - friends in India say they get 6-7 kmpl regularly. Admittedly, the conditions are not the same, but that much variance is something to be expected even in normal running (city vs highway,or summer vs winter) so why are you so worried?
My intent is not to make a big deal of the drop in mpg, but to find out what are the reasons/parameters for the 20% drop which happens every year. I did my research and didnt find a convincing answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Noopster , an American gallon is about 3.5 litres . A British gallon is about 4.5 litres. Check your calculations again.
Sorry about the back to back post, I cant edit my earlier post anymore as its waiting for moderators approval.

Noopster is correct on his calculations

1 US mpg = 1.609/3.785 = 0.425 km/L
1 UK mpg = 1.609/4.546 = 0.354 km/L

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th December 2011 at 10:17. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 23:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
My intent is not to make a big deal of the drop in mpg, but to find out what are the reasons/parameters for the 20% drop which happens every year. I did my research and didnt find a convincing answer.

arjithin, for cars that heat up the cabin using a small radiator (i.e. from the heat from the engine's coolant) the heating process is extremely inefficient.

Most of the "heat loss" from an internal combustion engine is in the form of heat carried out by the exhaust gases, and not the loss to the cylinder walls (which is where coolant gets its heat from), so if the coolant is kept unduly cool the engine controls will try to burn more fuel to warm up the coolant - in the process wasting most of the excess heat into the exhaust.

In fact an electric heater may turn out to be better, though best would be the AC run in reverse - though I don't think anybody has that.

From the other explanations, some make sense, many don't make sense to the magnitude you are referring (e.g. typre pressure - 1psi=how much in percentage? Slippage of tyres - in cities it doesn't happen all that much unless someone is trying to drive insanely ...).

If your car has the necessary equipement ( a real time FE meter) then you can try to check with the heater on and off - at the same speed on the same road what happens.
vina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 16:27   #20
BHPian

What are the fuel additives available in India for diesel engines running in winter ?
ruzbehxyz is offline   Reply With Quote