Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st October 2012, 03:22   #46
BHPian

Default re: Fixing *scratched* headlamps!

Buffing worked really well on mine.. though for some reason i had to get them buffed from inside and out.

When i get new headlamps for my car, i'll be putting a Lamin-X tinted film on it...
Cuts the light output by 5 - 30% depending on which film you get, you also get clear ones, so with an appropriate film, night driving will not be too adversely effected.

Also hopefully i'll skip all the micro scratches, can always replace the film when it gets damaged.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 09:29   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Just ordered F1 Scratch Out from eBay. I will report back on the results. I think both the Formula1 and 3M products should be nearly identical.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 11:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tired F-1 scratch out on the headlamps. They are quite good. It took 2-3 days of repeated application to get some gloss.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 13:52   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sgiitk,

Here's two more threads that you might find useful:

Sparkle back into your old headlamps

Gave my old headlights a second life (Gave my headlights a second life!)
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 01:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fixing *scratched* headlamps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
WARNING
The Scratch out product must be a 'cutting' compound which basically "buffs out" scratches by removing a thin layer of the paint/material.
If you're not skilled, you can damage the paint work of your car.
I think this is about the acrylic headlamp assembly and not the paint, also 3M is a mighty reputed company and will not offer customers serious 'cutting' compounds. The key word here is caution and to try it out in a small corner and if it is ok, then dab it all over and then have a ball.

By the way, even paint shops (without paint booths) use 'cutting' technology to remove dust after painting. It is common industry practice.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 10:39   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I got my scratch out yesterday and gave it a try. Now the two lamps are matched (the lh one was replaced about three years ago after an accident). With the lights on I did see some large microcracks, or scratches in both but I guess to fix there I will have to go the wet and dry emery paper route which I can now do without. I expect to sell my Santro in a couple of months (waiting for Brio AT launch).

Thanks everybody for the advice and tips.
Old 10th September 2013, 19:43   #52
BHPian

After going through these threads, I tried looking out for dry and wet sand paper - grade 2000.

However, the shops that i went to had at the most grade 1000. Wary of getting scratches, i chose to apply Waxpol rubbing compound.

After I applied it on the top 1/3rd of the right headlamp (which was rough and yellow), i found that it became clean. So applied it to some of the bottom half also. Sadly, it introduced fresh scratches.

There were no issues with left headlamp - tooth paste was enough. However, now i need a solution for the right one :(

Car is Hyundai Accent. Guess i will try scratch out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 22:50   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
However, the shops that i went to had at the most grade 1000. Wary of getting scratches, i chose to apply Waxpol rubbing compound.

After I applied it on the top 1/3rd of the right headlamp (which was rough and yellow), i found that it became clean. So applied it to some of the bottom half also. Sadly, it introduced fresh scratches.
Waxpol and motomax are very aggressive compounds that are locally available. As per your own experience it is best to use them for severe damages and not for minor or fine scratches. I have used it to remove orange peel from a painted surface. Try using a microfine rubbing compound and see if that helps.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 16:27   #54
Senior - BHPian

I personally have not had much satisfaction with Scratch out as a product , i have not tried it on the headlights but have done it on the body and the scratches it appears capable of removing are really tiny and almost non visible anyway - i have not been able to make it work on anything slightly bigger. The compound which the local guys use seem to be much much more effective,

Any advise on what i can upgrade to in terms of scratch removing strength.

Just to add , in a lot of these scratches which Scratch out was not able to remove - even the paint is still intact.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 09:44   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Formula 1 scratch out now has a small tag stating it can be used for headlamps. One can always use Jeweller's rouge if 2000 grit sandpaper is not available.