Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th March 2006, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Default Wagon R, Power Steering required?

Hi,

For last one year or so I have been driving Zen Lxi. I have decided to move to the larger better car and I am thinking of used WagonR. I would like to know if power steering is preferable on Wagon R.

(I am not sure if this is correct forum to post the thread. Req to Mods: I have post it in to wrong forum, please move the thread to correct one)
pingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 16:06   #2
BHPian

WagonR is not that big car which makes PAS a requirement. You can manage quite well with normal steering.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 17:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

YES YES YES

you do require PS in WagonR. Infact, the EPS(elecronic power steering) is a great reason why this car sells! Its very very light, and breeze to use in city.

I have driven wagonR LX (my lxi became an lx when a roadside mechanic screwed with electric fuses.. disabling eps in the process), and it doesnt feel too good at all (no offence to any lx owners). I dont know why, but compared to M800 (which is non-ps), wagonr non-ps needs much much more effort to maneuver.

Last edited by DCEite : 13th March 2006 at 17:12.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 18:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey dceite it is all a matter of perspective buddy. You are so used to the presence of that PS in your WagonR that you found driving without it quite a strange thing. I have no doubts on that. However when my friend was looking for a car we went to check a very well maintained WagonR LX for him. I drove the car and was like "shucks!! I will end up oversteering this car in a tight scenario unless I concentrate.". The steering was actually feeling so light. The fact is that I have even driven non-PS Indica and in comparison WagonR is just a small birdie.

Believe me it all is a matter of habit. And WagonR anyhow is light enough with a very well weighed-in steering not to cause you much trouble even without the EPS. Also, as I later learnt that anyhow the intrusion of the PS keeps reducing with increased speed and in a WagonR after 40-45kmph it more or less stops assisting (so that you do not oversteer).

Uhuh... I do not think WagonR requires that PS so badly. You can very well without do that. In fact I felt that even when the car is stationary one can turn the steering in the LX version without any perceptible effort.\

Pingme I would suggest that you go to a Maruti dealer and ask for a TD of WagonR. Tell the guy that you want to test drive both the Powered and the non-powered versions. Decide for yourself.

Last edited by Zappo : 13th March 2006 at 18:55.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2006, 19:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Zappo bhai i agree with you to some extent when you say that it depends upon individual perspective.

But actually i have driven Indica DLE also.. and yes it is a lot more difficult to manoever than LX.. Buttt.. the difference was not so huge as i expected. Infact if you ask me to compare non-ps models of Maruti and Indica, i would rate them as:
1. Indica DLE
2. WagonR Lx
3. Alto Lx
4. Zen Lx
(in increasing order of ease of manoevering)
Old 13th March 2006, 19:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

hmmm... you think so?! :-/ Amazing. I thought it was very light. In fact the owner was telling me how that was one of the factor in his deciding on the LX version.

One thing is for sure even if LX indeed has the second most toughest steering after the DLE it is still much much lighter than that of the DLE. At least you won't need to have the wrestler's biceps and triceps to move it around.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:23   #7
BHPian

Well I think its quite simple if you can spend and get a Wagon R with Eps.It is ofcourse an advantage.It all depends on your money power.

As far as I m concerned i would anyday suggest an Eps car over a non Eps car. Because if you are working and you drive to your work then a car with Eps will tire you less that means more Energy to devote to work.....

Well the Price diff is not that huge b/w a car with Ps and non Ps so go for a Ps....You will be Happy....

Last edited by somebodystopme : 14th March 2006 at 03:24.
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 04:56   #8
SLK
Senior - BHPian

WagonR's steering effort is anyday more than a zen.
If you drive a zen Lxi....
it makes no sense to get a WagonR withOUT PS. Else you'll have a hard time.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

In Pune traffic it will help you a lot if you go for PS.
But EPS of WagonR isn't that great on highway (keep that in mind if you going to do lots of highway driving)
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
In Pune traffic it will help you a lot if you go for PS.
But EPS of WagonR isn't that great on highway (keep that in mind if you going to do lots of highway driving)
hey Adya its speed sensitive electronic power steering. It differs from normal hydraulic steering in the sense that as speed develops, it becomes heavy and starts behaving like non power steering...

Last edited by DCEite : 14th March 2006 at 13:19.
Old 14th March 2006, 14:01   #11
BHPian

Guys thank you so much!

I finally bought Wagon R Lxi 8500Km on ODO October 2004 white scratchless car for 2.85 L

How are my negotiation skills is it a good price?
pingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 14:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme
Guys thank you so much!

I finally bought Wagon R Lxi 8500Km on ODO October 2004 white scratchless car for 2.85 L

How are my negotiation skills is it a good price?
looks like ok to me.. Maruti guys quote 2.75 lacs for my Fabruary 2004 lxi...20K kms.. so looks like an OK deal to me.

Glad that you went with the PS one! Happy driving