Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 22:27   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Since the 1.2L is used even in polo, has any of the polo owners faced this issue? Coz,if there are design changes ,it will be applied uniformly by all the users of this engine,in this case VW
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 23:40   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Androdev is your car the facelifted version? If it is then it should share the same engine with the Polo 1.2, because significant changes were made to it before it got relaunched in the BS4 compliant mode.

If it is the BS3 engine then you might just want to rethink on continuing with your Fabia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since the 1.2L is used even in polo, has any of the polo owners faced this issue? Coz,if there are design changes ,it will be applied uniformly by all the users of this engine,in this case VW
My car is pre-facelift, pre-polo 1.2 Fabia. The current gen 1.2 doesn't have this problem and even my engine will get a modified cylinder head I believe. I will try to take pics from workshop when I visit if possible.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 15:23   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

By god's grace, i was very interested in buying a fabia. But after going thru all the A#.S#.S. horror stories over TBHP. i finally decided to take a list mentioning the most frequent used spares and their cost. Skoda simply refused. I asked them for the list of service centres and they have just 88 service centres. Moreover some of my neighbours simply asked me not to buy this car.

Thanks T-BHP--once again
su1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 17:39   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
By god's grace, i was very interested in buying a fabia. But after going thru all the A#.S#.S. horror stories over TBHP. i finally decided to take a list mentioning the most frequent used spares and their cost. Skoda simply refused. I asked them for the list of service centres and they have just 88 service centres. Moreover some of my neighbours simply asked me not to buy this car.

Thanks T-BHP--once again
It is a good car, I knew while buying that engine was its weak point, but it is a good package excluding engine. The new Polo/Fabia has more reliable engines I think and you get an option of 4yrs of warranty these days. Also the service also has been good. They are fulfilling their warranty obligations without any hassle. If I were to fault them, it is their bad engine design.

Now I am trying to talk to them to either extend the warranty or exchange the car at a price. This is my stretch goal, let us see.

Even after this incident, I would be picking a car from VW family only. After grounding Laura, 5-Series and Fabia, I am now driving my old Corsa and I like it :-) I have option to drive other family cars like Corolla, Ikon, i20, etc. but I prefer Corsa to all these cars. Ikon is good but it rattles quite a bit and it has huge clutch play. Cars from EU drive nice and age well - be it high-end like BMW or low-end like Corsa/Fabia. Sorry for going off topic!

Last edited by androdev : 16th December 2011 at 17:41.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 10:35   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Update:

Skoda informed me that they will extended the warranty by 2 yrs free of cost. They said they will not be able to help me with the exchange - and it is completely between the dealership and me. I really did not do much except to register a complaint requesting either an exchange or extended warranty - happened without much struggle ;-)

It is taking forever to receive the parts from czech republic and I am told the parts reached Skoda India. So we are looking at another week before the car can be delivered.

PS: Also got the BMW back on the road. So hoping 2012 will turn out to be a good year.

Last edited by androdev : 28th December 2011 at 10:37.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 20:48   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Nearly after 8 weeks (29-Nov to 25-Jan), I got my Fabia back today. The delay in getting the part was unbelievable. I wonder how they plan to be volume players (fabia and rapid), but they are apparently setting up a 'parts hub' in India so stuff doesn't to be imported.

Got an extended warranty thrown in to reassure me that Fabia is road worthy. They also offered me a taxi allowance up to Rs.1200/- per day against bills (I did not claim as I did not use a taxi).

So if any Skoda goes for repair-under-warranty, ask for a courtesy car or taxi allowance. This is something worth trying with all manufacturers. This at least will put some pressure on them to get the repair done quickly.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 22:00   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,271
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Nearly after 8 weeks (29-Nov to 25-Jan), I got my Fabia back today. The delay in getting the part was unbelievable. I wonder how they plan to be volume players (fabia and rapid), but they are apparently setting up a 'parts hub' in India so stuff doesn't to be imported.

Got an extended warranty thrown in to reassure me that Fabia is road worthy. They also offered me a taxi allowance up to Rs.1200/- per day against bills (I did not claim as I did not use a taxi).

So if any Skoda goes for repair-under-warranty, ask for a courtesy car or taxi allowance. This is something worth trying with all manufacturers. This at least will put some pressure on them to get the repair done quickly.
Good to know things are improving with Skoda. But did they offer that cab bill reimbursement earlier to you? If not, what is the use of offering it now, when most people would not be using cabs for such extended periods.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 22:06   #23
BHPian
 
rajcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 226
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Nearly after 8 weeks (29-Nov to 25-Jan), I got my Fabia back today. The delay in getting the part was unbelievable. I wonder how they plan to be volume players (fabia and rapid), but they are apparently setting up a 'parts hub' in India so stuff doesn't to be imported.

Got an extended warranty thrown in to reassure me that Fabia is road worthy. They also offered me a taxi allowance up to Rs.1200/- per day against bills (I did not claim as I did not use a taxi).

So if any Skoda goes for repair-under-warranty, ask for a courtesy car or taxi allowance. This is something worth trying with all manufacturers. This at least will put some pressure on them to get the repair done quickly.
Glad to note that 2012 has brought in much needed cheer and luck to you. Now all your rides are back on road I presume. How's the Fabia performing after the repairs? That should give a fair indication of the service station's competence.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 00:05   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good to know things are improving with Skoda. But did they offer that cab bill reimbursement earlier to you? If not, what is the use of offering it now, when most people would not be using cabs for such extended periods.
They made the offer of daily taxi allowance some ten days before the delivery when I demanded for a courtesy car owing to such inordinate delay. As you know, courtesy/loaner car is a norm in the west during under-warranty jobs. My guess is same thing can be demanded here and it will be offered at their discretion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Glad to note that 2012 has brought in much needed cheer and luck to you. Now all your rides are back on road I presume. How's the Fabia performing after the repairs? That should give a fair indication of the service station's competence.
Ya, no more workshop visits for now. touchwood! Fabia is back on duty, but too early to say if it is all good. Let us hope for the best!
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 01:37   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM

Sir, good to know that the car is back in shape and Skoda has extended the warranty on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Got an extended warranty thrown in to reassure me that Fabia is road worthy. They also offered me a taxi allowance up to Rs.1200/- per day against bills (I did not claim as I did not use a taxi).
When our 10 months old polo with 11k on the clock went for an engine head change in December 2010, I too asked for a loaner vehicle but was instead offered a taxi allowance of up to Rs.1000-1200 per day. My brother who travelled over 35kms (each side) every day to his college took taxi instead of asking favour from his friends. VW refunded us over Rs. 8k for almost 10 days when the car was with them for engine head replacement. This was the first time I ever saw a manufacturer offering such service in this segment in India. I believe its a common practice VW Group is following in India.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th January 2012 at 01:41.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues subodh_mallya Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 17 18th July 2012 12:13
5009 KMS-A'bad-Calicut-Bangy-Hyd-Aur'Bad-A'Bad-Report ramkya1 Travelogues 48 4th August 2010 00:04
A bad bad bad night for me.... Ranjan Sharma Street Experiences 38 8th April 2010 12:02
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks