Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th December 2011, 13:54   #1

Default Gear Cable Head worn out Fiat Adventure D

Dear folks, I have a problem,, I picked up used Fiat Palio Adventure D, just getting the car ready, noticed that the gear cable head which is near the battery, I suppose the one that provides lift, is worn, the washer is gone and the head keeps popping out. Now I have asked for a new set of cables from a friend in Mumbai, but it will take some time, I was wondering if there is any way to fix it? BTW am in Chennai and sourcing Fiat Palio parts here especially for the Adventure does look like a problem.
Senz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 18:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gear Cable Head worn out Fiat Adventure D

Does you car need a gear cable replacement?

I'm facing the exact same issue with my Corsa. The R-1-3-5 do not slot as confidently as 2-4 do; it turned out to be a rather playful gear-cable.

Apparently, the gear cable develops play during the course of it's life and when the whole assembly was played around with during a recent clutch overhaul, the damn thing showcased it's mischief.

The gear cable CAN be adjusted to a certain extent; but only up to a certain extent. In most cases, it has to be replaced. Try going to A.S.S. for it; a friendly SA might try to do the best he can.

In my case, replacement is in order. The one for Corsa costs 8k. And this, after a 9k clutch replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
Dear folks, I have a problem,, I picked up used Fiat Palio Adventure D, just getting the car ready, noticed that the gear cable head which is near the battery, I suppose the one that provides lift, is worn, the washer is gone and the head keeps popping out. Now I have asked for a new set of cables from a friend in Mumbai, but it will take some time, I was wondering if there is any way to fix it? BTW am in Chennai and sourcing Fiat Palio parts here especially for the Adventure does look like a problem.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 21:58   #3

Well, the service adviser at the A.S.S here in ECR, is not very helpful. I did have the clutch replaced too, locally and then this cropped up. I need a temporary solution till I get them cables.
Old 14th December 2011, 23:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did have the clutch replaced too, locally and then this cropped up. I need a temporary solution till I get them cables.
Ahan! We are sailing in the same boat.

Temp. fix - getting it adjusted which itself is doubtful.

When I slot the R-1-3-5th gear, I have to often slot it 3-4 times to get the correct position. At times, esp. for R, there's a grrrr sound because of improper slotting.

I'd suggest you wait it out; it'll be terrible to have the clutch screwed because of this.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 09:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Gautam auto or SM auto in GP road.
Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 15th December 2011 at 09:54.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 16:47   #6

Thank you Vijay, I managed to source the parts from a friend in Mumbai, unused old cables. Now am focusing on getting the car into shape, and post my experiences soon