Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th December 2011, 12:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volker Jack - New introduction in Bangalore.

Novel concept for sure. 5k? Well, yes slightly on the higher side, but then, looking at the ease of use, the amount maybe justified.

Same questions that have arisen though. What if the rubber develops a puncture? Do we take it to the local puncture wallah and say - bhaiyya, alongwith the tyre, please work on the puncture of the jack as well .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

May be a dump question..!! Will this put any pressure on the exhaust system of the car? Why can't the same technique be used to inflate tyres?
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:30   #18
BHPian

I think the electric jack on sale here in classifieds is a better option than this inflatable one. A little risky for the investment since it should be protected from sharp object, etc.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 12:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
That apart, how is the exhaust removed?
A very useful question. Who will do this and how ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
PS: In the picture its not just lifting the one wheel which needs to be changed but lifting both wheels, wouldn't this is risky when doing it on an incline. The existing jack only lifts one wheel and there are three wheels to hold ground, in this case there are only two.
Forget an incline, like n_aditya said, suppose you drool at the contraption and talk to your friend and it over inflates and topples the car or at least makes it dangerous to toppling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
This still does not make the most difficult part of changing tyre, easy. For me the most difficult part of the tyre change is screwing and unscrewing the bolts (have to stand on the wheel spanner) and lifting the fully inflated tyre and placing it on the wheel to fit the screws (pity the people who drive SUV and suffer a puncture)
That is a very valid query. Now, Mr.Volker will have to think of some robot for you which will cost 10 times the cost of your car. Ready ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 16:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
This still does not make the most difficult part of changing tyre, easy. For me the most difficult part of the tyre change is screwing and unscrewing the bolts (have to stand on the wheel spanner) and lifting the fully inflated tyre and placing it on the wheel to fit the screws (pity the people who drive SUV and suffer a puncture)
screw-unscrew can be made simpler: either keep an extension pipe with the spanner that yields the correct torque for the screw, or buy a cordless bosch driver that has the required torque. these can however cause thread damage, especially when being used with alloy wheels.

second issue: you could design and build a trolley jack. put the tyre on the trolley and use the jack mechanism to lift it up. place in position with help of 360 wheels mounted on the trolley. i think the mechanically creative folks will get the idea. a related picture below...

http://static1.bonluxat.com/cmsense/...olley_d0ni.jpg
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 23:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
May be a dump question..!! Will this put any pressure on the exhaust system of the car? Why can't the same technique be used to inflate tyres?
The composition of Exhaust gasses is different as compared to Air or N2. This is the main reason not to use exhaust gasses to inflate tires.
Another reason is that the exhaust gasses are generally heated. It is not good to inflate tires using heated gasses. Once the gas cools down, the tire pressure automatically drops causing problems.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 07:41   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I would not personally use this or recommend this. With me safe keeping is an issue. As i am bit rough or careless on things, same reason i don't use iphone.

A small puncture will mess up the thingy. I am sure they have made it sturdy but you will never know. I would stick to my mini hydraulic jack. It has a 2 ton capacity with its own plastic case. A very handy and must have.
@SirAlec - Please do share the brand/make & price of the mini hydraulic jack you have and from where you bought it (would help if you know where I can get it in Bangalore).
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 14:46   #23
DRC
BHPian

I think it could be dangerous as by design it looks it may get wobbly.
I still prefer bottle jack, or a screw jack,
For those who want to make it easier (women, elderly etc...) there is a electric option in the screw jack. I remember having seen it in Madhu's some time ago.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 21:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@SirAlec - Please do share the brand/make & price of the mini hydraulic jack you have and from where you bought it (would help if you know where I can get it in Bangalore).
Its a chinese make. But pretty durable. I have been using it for a long time and also used it to jack up bigger rated vehicles like sumos and safari.

It was bought in Ahmedabad for 1600/-.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:07   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

As Rudhra said, it was around 15 years back. One salesman at that time came to me and showcased the product. He said, it is very helpful for lady drivers who find difficult to lift the vehicle.

Hydraulic jack is better and durable than this.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:41   #26
BHPian

If anyone buys this, one needs to ensure their exhaust system is leakproof

Underchassis examination of my car recently revealed that the muffler can is rusted. I don't think its a good idea to use this air pillow to lift my car.

Also, if there is a sudden deflation when loaded, car may suffer some damage.

I prefer a metal jack even if it means some inconvenience.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 06:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone remember the Rapid Jack of the 1980's?
This concept seems very similar to that.

Unfortunately that Rapid Jack never did very well - it used to cost some 500 Bucks or something at that time and that was a heck of a lot of money around then.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 09:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

This seems much better.

1.5 Ton Electric Automatic Car Vehicle Scissor Jack | eBay
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 10:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its a chinese make. But pretty durable. I have been using it for a long time and also used it to jack up bigger rated vehicles like sumos and safari.

It was bought in Ahmedabad for 1600/-.
Seems the cost for this type of hydraulic jack also gone up. This list of various hydraulic (& electric) jacks at Naaptol.com shows prices in the range of Rs.5,000 to Rs.6,000. Car Jack - Compare n Buy Car Jacks at Low Price Online in India

Hydralic bottle jacks seems to be cheapest. Any disadvantages in using bottle jacks? Can it topple easily?

Not very confident about Electric jack. Being unknown brand & electrical, the motor can go out easily.
viggienomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Few questions.
- Does the exhaust have enough back pressure to inflate the bag and thereby lift the car?
- How do you ensure proper sealing with the exhaust.
- What if my exhaust has a leak.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote