Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd December 2011, 15:21   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Suggestions Required on Importing a Trailer

Hi Gurus/Bhpians,

i own a 2006 safari 4*4 and currently i am in Europe i am planning to import a trailer for my Beast(recently Procured a Gypsy have to start a new thread as i don't have the pictures, which would happen after i am in India), i have really got very good options here for the trailers and there are available in 2 ranges(2 & 4 Wheels) the price is also very decent and i don't require to pay more.

The basic trailer starts from 5000 inr and the maximum reaches to 1,00,000 inr.

i am planning to procure a mid range which would cost around 30,000 to 40,000

as i am not sure how the process is and the Problems which would be faced, the reason for posting it in Team BHP is the Language problem here in Europe as they don't understand me and i don't understand them.

so before i take the decision to procure one i need to know the Positives and Negatives.

p.s: i am on a work permit.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 22nd December 2011 at 15:24. Reason: corrections
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Suggestions Required in Importing a Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi Gurus/Bhpians,

i own a 2006 safari 4*4 and currently i am in Europe i am planning to import a trailer for my Beast(recently Procured a Gypsy have to start a new thread as i don't have the pictures, which would happen after i am in India), i have really got very good options here for the trailers and there are available in 2 ranges(2 & 4 Wheels) the price is also very decent and i don't require to pay more.

The basic trailer starts from 5000 inr and the maximum reaches to 1,00,000 inr.

i am planning to procure a mid range which would cost around 30,000 to 40,000

as i am not sure how the process is and the Problems which would be faced, the reason for posting it in Team BHP is the Language problem here in Europe as they don't understand me and i don't understand them.

so before i take the decision to procure one i need to know the Positives and Negatives.

p.s: i am on a work permit.
You can import a trailer to India but it would be a pain in the neck. It would be straightforward exporting from Europe but when it touches india the customs would harrass you and you would need to pay duties. Trailers Generally come by Ship and it takes more time to arrive.

I would suggest a practical option - Walk into any of the small time body building garages that build bodies for Tempos/Vikrams/Magic etc and get a cover built.
  1. Look out for an axle and wheels. Even a wrecked 3 wheeler would help.
  2. Build /weld a frame on the wheels (straight-forward work at a Welder/garage)
  3. Walk into any of the small time body building garages that build bodies for Tempos/Vikrams/Magic/Pickups etc and get a roof built if needed.
This is much more simpler and feasible rather than importing a trailer. If you have good contacts at the right places and you are ready to pay the duties, you can import a trailer frikm Europe.

Advantages:
  • European Quality and Build
  • More options available
  • Available Off the shelf
  • Trailers would be designed and not just a bolt-on/weld on
Disadvantages:
  • Shipping to india will be a pain
  • Customs (Duties and Formalities) at india will frustrate you so much that you would curse yourself for thinking about a trailer in the first place.
  • Making an imported trailer road-legal is a big pain.
  • Problems have been reported w.r.t registering a Mahindra Thar in may parts of india :-: think of making the trailer road-legal.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 23rd December 2011 at 11:06.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Suggestions Required in Importing a Trailer

SPEEDY_RACER, for which car you're planning to buy a trailer? For your new Gypsy or Safari? I'm sorry, it's not clear from your writing.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Suggestions Required in Importing a Trailer

Here's some other threads that you should read up:

All about trailers

Hooking up a motorcycle trailer (Hooking up a Motorcycle Trailer / Carrier)
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:08   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
SPEEDY_RACER, for which car you're planning to buy a trailer? For your new Gypsy or Safari? I'm sorry, it's not clear from your writing.
Hi Rudra,

its surely for my safari but might use it in Gypsy also, but first place is for safari since offlate there are lots of things which i have to carry and the entire safari cant do justice for me, and gypsy is not ready till now with the documents so dont like to take it out.

regards
suresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
You can import a trailer to India but it would be a pain in the neck. It would be straightforward exporting from Europe but when it touches india the customs would harrass you and you would need to pay duties. Trailers Generally come by Ship and it takes more time to arrive.

i will surely look at the other options, thanks for your valuable feedback, and yes when it comes to customs i am ready to pay all the taxes and other things but i really don't want any Hassles from them which would think me before i import one since i have a kid and i don't want to hang around them leaving the family.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd December 2011 at 14:33. Reason: Merging post, reduced the size of quoted text. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i will surely look at the other options, thanks for your valuable feedback, and yes when it comes to customs i am ready to pay all the taxes and other things but i really don't want any Hassles from them which would think me before i import one since i have a kid and i don't want to hang around them leaving the family.
It is pretty easy to build a custom trailer in india. It would be a bare bones trailer but will suit the job well.

One thing - you may not be able to bring the trailer along with you as items of proportions of a trailer may be "shipped" by sea. You could bring it through Airmail but the cost would be prohibitive. I assume you are flying from Europe to India. there is no passenger ship service between europe and india.

There is no gaurantee that even if you pay all the taxes and bribes to everyone, it would be a smooth affair. It will be still a pain in the nexk.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:31   #7

Default Re: Suggestions Required on Importing a Trailer

Speedy_Racer

The standard tariff for import of trailers is 10 %. Mind you, this 10 % is charged on the landed value of the cargo at Indian sea port.

You can check the end of this document for reference.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cst-2k11-12/chap-87.pdf

The tariff item category is 8716.

Also, to import the trailer, it is best you hire the services of a Custom agent. These are not touts but designated professionals qualified to handle the documentation and the logistics within India.

It is not as difficult as you think. If you are ready to research enough, all your documents are in order and the duty has been rightly paid, the custom officials have no reason to stop you. The customs dept. is also very tech savvy and this website might help you.

Central Board of Excise and Customs

Hope this helps

Cheers
Sumeet
Sumeetstoic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 22:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have seen quite a few jeeps (4WD and 2 WD) pulling around goods trailers here, in KL. Is that what you have in mind? Or covered trailers, aka mobile homes?

For the former, I suggest you talk to one of the B'lore / Coord based Jeepers. I guess you can request mod Samurai san for contacts of the place where rebuilt his jeep body (in Coorg), and talk to them).

For the latter type (mobile homes) you may be better off bringing them from outside - for sheer quality and functionality. Going by the prices, I Guess you have the first ones in mind?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 01:19   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have seen quite a few jeeps (4WD and 2 WD) pulling around goods trailers here, in KL. Is that what you have in mind? Or covered trailers, aka mobile homes?

For the former, I suggest you talk to one of the B'lore / Coord based Jeepers. I guess you can request mod Samurai san for contacts of the place where rebuilt his jeep body (in Coorg), and talk to them).

For the latter type (mobile homes) you may be better off bringing them from outside - for sheer quality and functionality. Going by the prices, I Guess you have the first ones in mind?
Yes you are correct i have the first one in mind and really want one.

since i have a future plans on that not sure how its gonna work.

i have noted down the point you have mentioned.

do you have the samurai jeep thread link?

regards
Old 24th December 2011, 11:59   #10
BANNED

Exclamation Re: Suggestions Required on Importing a Trailer

CAUTION

Any kind of trailer ,( be it for motorcycle or for a Truck & also be it Indian built or Imported ) to be attached to any motor vehicle NEEDS REGISTRATION or similar endorsement from the Local RTO

Trailer attached to any motor vehicle is treated as a motor vehicle itself & all the rules wrt tax ,Insurance , Registration are applied according to class of the Vehicle ( Trailer )

please dont run at the wrong side of the Law with this 'Trailer thing ' , Driving technique (with trailer ) is yet another topic to be noticed seriously .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 12:42   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
CAUTION

Any kind of trailer ,( be it for motorcycle or for a Truck & also be it Indian built or Imported ) to be attached to any motor vehicle NEEDS REGISTRATION or similar endorsement from the Local RTO

Trailer attached to any motor vehicle is treated as a motor vehicle itself & all the rules wrt tax ,Insurance , Registration are applied according to class of the Vehicle ( Trailer )

please dont run at the wrong side of the Law with this 'Trailer thing ' , Driving technique (with trailer ) is yet another topic to be noticed seriously .

Sudarshan
HI Sudarshan,

Yes you are correct since i never said that i will not register or bypass any Laws, all i wanted is how to import it from the Europe and what are the hassles in importing it(note that i am happy to pay all the taxes but i don't want any hassles from customs)

so in this case there is no chance that i will bypass the registration.

regards
suresh
Old 24th December 2011, 17:34   #12
BANNED

Quote:
===(note that i am happy to pay all the taxes but i don't want any hassles from customs)==
Even if you do get successful in importing a trailer through proper procedures , registering it can be a hassle because

1) you might be aware that not every vehicle imported can be registered , there are certain laws for that .

2) even if any vehicle is assembled / produced locally, it cannot be registered without the certification of institutes like ARAI or VRDE (?)

Quote:
you are on the right path

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 21:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI Sudarshan,

Yes you are correct since i never said that i will not register or bypass any Laws, all i wanted is how to import it from the Europe and what are the hassles in importing it(note that i am happy to pay all the taxes but i don't want any hassles from customs)

regards
suresh
I have never experienced registering a trailer in india, so i decided to throw some coins around.
  1. First of all, no one is aware that a trailer can / should be registered in india. All tell me that even police is not aware of the fact that a trailer should be registered then how will they catch you.
  2. Registering a trailer in RTO Interests no agents even if money is not a constraint.
  3. A binding list of what documents are needed and what amount needs to be paid is not clear. (I was asked to bring a letter from commercial tax office for my Royal Enfield thunderbird, which i did)
  4. I found it a pain to register my Karnataka Thunderbird to Tamil Nadu eventhough there were no FIRs / thefts and all taxes were paid and all documents were in perfect order. I paid 7000/- bribe but still it took me one year to get it registered.
  5. You would need to do multiple trips to the RTO, which will generally take almost the whole day. Does your Job permit it?
  6. You must ideally transport the trailer by "truck" to the RTO whenever they demand to see it, before registration. Consider this cost too. Trucks are no way cheap and the moment they see an imported trailer + visit to RTO, they would quote triple or frible rates.
  7. Temporary registration (TC Plates) will not / cannot be issued to a trailer.
  8. "Customs Agent" will facilitate the payment of Duties + Bribes etc and move the cargo out of the "Port". Once its outside the port gate, its your baby. Customs Agents do not help with any other formalities like RTO in this case.
I am providing this as a heads-up so that you could plan things accordingly and have a "defense" ready for any / all of the points mentioned above.

EDIT: I did not want to mention this but on second thoughts clicked the "Edit" button. How would you ensure that the trailer you import is in the "allowed" list to be registered. Who is the authority who can validate this and secondly "Assure" you that if this trailer is bought, it WILL be registered. I hope they do not just dismiss it telling sorry as per the law you cannot register it. What happens when you pay the custom duties and then the RTO rejects the registration. It would be a big financial and time loss for you.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 28th December 2011 at 21:13.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 15:22   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I have never experienced registering a trailer in india, so i decided to throw some coins around.
  1. First of all, no one is aware that a trailer can / should be registered in india. All tell me that even police is not aware of the fact that a trailer should be registered then how will they catch you.
  2. Registering a trailer in RTO Interests no agents even if money is not a constraint.
  3. A binding list of what documents are needed and what amount needs to be paid is not clear. (I was asked to bring a letter from commercial tax office for my Royal Enfield thunderbird, which i did)
  4. I found it a pain to register my Karnataka Thunderbird to Tamil Nadu eventhough there were no FIRs / thefts and all taxes were paid and all documents were in perfect order. I paid 7000/- bribe but still it took me one year to get it registered.
  5. You would need to do multiple trips to the RTO, which will generally take almost the whole day. Does your Job permit it?
  6. You must ideally transport the trailer by "truck" to the RTO whenever they demand to see it, before registration. Consider this cost too. Trucks are no way cheap and the moment they see an imported trailer + visit to RTO, they would quote triple or frible rates.
  7. Temporary registration (TC Plates) will not / cannot be issued to a trailer.
  8. "Customs Agent" will facilitate the payment of Duties + Bribes etc and move the cargo out of the "Port". Once its outside the port gate, its your baby. Customs Agents do not help with any other formalities like RTO in this case.
I am providing this as a heads-up so that you could plan things accordingly and have a "defense" ready for any / all of the points mentioned above.

EDIT: I did not want to mention this but on second thoughts clicked the "Edit" button. How would you ensure that the trailer you import is in the "allowed" list to be registered. Who is the authority who can validate this and secondly "Assure" you that if this trailer is bought, it WILL be registered. I hope they do not just dismiss it telling sorry as per the law you cannot register it. What happens when you pay the custom duties and then the RTO rejects the registration. It would be a big financial and time loss for you.

Hi scopriobharath,

let me give you a little bit of example, have you seen the tractors and the trailer with the same no... my answer is no

since the tractor would be registered with one No, and the trailer with the other no, which means i have to register the trailer.

i may not register the trailer here in Bangalore, but i can register it at my home town which would ease me from the RTO hassles and by-passing the law is never happening in my case(i have to use the trailer in my home town so getting it registered there).

my only concern was that how to get it to India from Europe, and i have spoken with an agent who has actually moved my house holds from India to Europe when i traveled, they said that they can clear all the customs by paying the available taxes etc, along with all the receipts and then delivery it to me so that i can register it. but i am still waiting for the quote from them.

if the quote is reasonable then i will import a trailer. or else will look for an alternatives

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 29th December 2011 at 15:23.