Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th December 2011, 21:17   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #14 Fail-safe cars

#14 Fail-safe cars

When I started in the IT industry, TANDEM was making computer systems which were designed with complete redundancy for all critical components. People used to claim that you open a TANDEM machine and cut any wire and it would still work without any issues.

Taking that concept of making something fail-safe by way of redundancy to the automobile world, how about cars being designed with a redundant parallel setup for each critical component.

Taking the simplest of examples, let's have 2 batteries in the car so that when one dies, the second one still keeps the car functional.

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2011 at 23:40.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 21:24   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #15 The perfect suspension

#15 The perfect suspension

Irrespective of how fantastic is your car's suspension, it still works by "smoothening out" any sharp vertical movement. So the vertical movement remains, it is just damped to a certain extent.

How about a feedback control system in the suspension design, sort of a noise cancellation technology that can sample the movement, extrapolate from it and produce an equal & opposite force to effectively cancel any movement of the passengers.

Wouldn't it be nice if you feel like you are seating on a recliner at home even when your car is going over bad roads?

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2011 at 23:42.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:10   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #16 Self-cleaning cars

#16 Self-cleaning cars

I wish cars can shake-off the dust the way the sensor of a DLSR can. In Indian context, more than the dust, the muck and grime is a bigger issue. How about a wiper like mechanism for the entire car which can spray water/soap and wipe the panels clean.

How about some technology that can clean without any body-contact (steam anyone?), so that the car can remain sparkling clean without any swirl marks.

Taking the idea one step further, how about panels and paints where the dust and grime doesn't stick in the first place?
Old 26th December 2011, 22:30   #19
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #17 Cars that repel other cars

#17 Cars that repel other cars

Remember how N poles of 2 magnets repel each other. Can we induce a similar repelling force between 2 cars when they come too close?

No more scratches and dents from fender-bender kind of cases. Nipping unwanted contact right in the bud.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:41   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #18 Flat-back sleeping during long journeys

#18 Flat-back sleeping during long journeys

Irrespective of how much you can recline your seat-back, it is still no match to a flat bed. Chairs and seats are simply not designed for sleeping.

On long journeys, wouldn't it be nice if someone who is not driving can sleep flat on his/her back in the car? The interior of the car should somehow "transform" to convert a seat to a comfy and secure bed. If the bed can be well insulated from noise and vibrations, your spouse, kid or parents can really wake up fresh when you reach the destination.

Trains have beds, a few buses have them, so why not cars?

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2011 at 23:46.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:55   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #19 A flight-data recorder equivalent for cars

#19 A flight-data recorder equivalent for cars

I believe quite a few current generation cars come with a lot of "sensors" that track a plethora of parameters. Somehow these are used primarily to alert the driver or in some few cases (like ESP) to correct a problem in real-time. The recording of the data and deriving intelligence from the aggregation is missing.

If the car can continuously track and record critical parameters of the car's performance, that data can be utilized for:
1. Real-time diagnostics and alerts
2. Post-facto analysis for understanding driving style and car's performance.

In unfortunate events like accidents, the data could be used to understand what exactly happened and that understanding can be used to improve the design of the car further.

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2011 at 23:47.
Old 26th December 2011, 23:05   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #20 "Dislike" a car/driver

#20 "Dislike" a car/driver

When I see a car being driven rashly, I wish I can point a remote to the car and press a "bad driver" or "Dislike" button. The no. of "dislikes" a driver gets would be visible on his car for all to see. When the no. of "dislikes" cross a particular predefined threshold, cops could be notified automatically and/or the car itself could be temporarily disabled.

How about that?

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2011 at 23:48.
Old 27th December 2011, 19:54   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default #21 Office on wheels

#21 Office on wheels

Quite a few of us spend 1-2 or even 3 hours everyday in their car, commuting to the office and back. Blessed are those who have a driver and can relax in the back-seat. For those blessed ones, wish the car can have a proper office setup with a desk for your laptop, a hi-speed net connection, a speaker-phone AND a complete sound-proof & vibration-proof cabin. Just imagine, you would be able to start from office a couple of hours earlier and handle the work from your car for the 2 hours you are travelling. The desk is important, no more laptops on laps (and subsequent risking of fertility ). The sound-proof and stable cabin is also very critical. No more "I am in the car. Can't hear you. Let me call you back later."

The time wasted in traffic can be converted to productive time. Start early from office and have a better work-life balance OR get more work done and climb the career ladder faster.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 22:49   #24
BHPian

Default Re: Ideas for the auto-industry

Wow! Lot of typing and a good amount of thought. Liked #19.

I have but one word - COST. All the nice to have features that you have listed would mean manufacturers have to put in the mechanism in place to deliver.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 12:45   #25
BHPian

#22 Self adjusting rear view mirrors

All of us have seen how some rear view mirrors don't fold inline with the window frame. My idea is to do away with the protruding rear view mirror thing and use a panel on the window frame to automatically swing out when the car is in motion and to snap back in place - in line with the window frame so that the panel looks fused to the door itself.

This way aesthetics are great, and there won't be any protrusion at all.
trumpet is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 13:14   #26
BHPian

Not to dampen enthusiasm on this thread but my $0.02 worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
#6 Engine/car that produces just enough power for moving a few inches in bumper to bumper traffic
Taking it a step further, devise a mechanism that detects if the vehicle is in 1st gear (adequate for B2B traffic), controls the clutch on lifting your foot off the brake pedal thereby controlling the forward movement.

Quote:
#10 Auto-hold when the car is at standstill
Parking brake for longer durations of halting is adequate and does not require the engine to be on.

Quote:
#12 Panels with shape memory
Now this is something that is quite useful in the Indian context. I recollect watching a documentary on one of the science channels where something similar was showcased. A sheet of memory metal was bent out of shape. It was only required to get it to a specific temperature (easily demonstrated by throwing hot water on it) for it to regain the original shape. Imagine, a car wash using hot water which cleans and repairs!

Quote:
#17 Cars that repel other cars
Front sweep radar?

Quote:
...In unfortunate events like accidents, the data could be used to understand what exactly happened and that understanding can be used to improve the design of the car further.
This would be the practical use to prove who was at fault. Combine this with a rolling loop of 15 minute video from the front of the car and it's a nice to have feature.

A similar kind of thread also exists here (If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?)
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 15:38   #27
BHPian

Excellent thoughts and I agree in principle to most of them. Most of them would figure in my wishlist also. Some of them I feel would not be possible or is a little over the ledge.

Quote:
#2 Universal compatibility of parts

What will be your dream configuration? Which parts would you chose from which current car?
I think this presents more of an engineering problem since ANHCs gearbox might not designed for taking Lineas engine> Wagon R's body and suspension might not be designed to take the vento Engine. I might have the cash for it but still lot of other considerations need to tally up.

But Would i like to have Cruze's powertrain on Linea ? Definitely

Quote:
#11 High-beam payback mirrors

We all get irritated when some idiot decides to blind you with his high-beams. If the particular idiot is approaching you from the opposite direction, you can always decide to return the favour.
In this case, you are not being a bad driver by immitating another bad driver. You are merely teaching a lesson in driving etiquette and that too ONLY to the offender.
But I think revenge should have no place on the road. Road rage should not be allowed.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 19:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

For B2B traffic we have the Hybrid & Electrical car. These even regenerate energy while braking!

Electrically retractable mirrors are already there. We just have to carry the idea forward for them to fold into the body seamlessly. Give folding an option, so that if you do not want the mirror, it remains flush with the body work.

For high beam menace, there was an implementation in a Cadillac Model. It had polarized wind shield, which would cut the glare. Did not catch on due to its prohibitive expense. If you want to be antisocial, just mount a really powerful beam on the roof and let it be switched on automatically when it detects bright light on it. I would also suggest a similar contraption at the rear end, for the guy following you with intense high beam.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 19:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: #19 A flight-data recorder equivalent for cars

Quote:

I believe quite a few current generation cars come with a lot of "sensors" that track a plethora of parameters. Somehow these are used primarily to alert the driver or in some few cases (like ESP) to correct a problem in real-time. The recording of the data and deriving intelligence from the aggregation is missing.

If the car can continuously track and record critical parameters of the car's performance, that data can be utilized for:
1. Real-time diagnostics and alerts
2. Post-facto analysis for understanding driving style and car's performance.

In unfortunate events like accidents, the data could be used to understand what exactly happened and that understanding can be used to improve the design of the car further.
Add a visual recording front and rear. The data recorder will have to be extremely rugged, and the data inviolable by one and all, for it to be useful. Else any one can tamper with the data to suit their need.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 19:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

#2- That's one dream idea,but in the present world impossible.Maybe in the olden days one could do it atleast within a company stable.
#5- Yep, i would like that feature very much,most of the cars in the Indian market are smaller for my eyes,but when i get into a road,the whole thought vanishes.
#6- Why can't they (companies) develop such an idea,except the hybrid one(expensive).
#7-Some sorta filter should be there,otherwise one would be hearing expletives once a while.
#10-Auto hold feature is already there.
#12-a wish of everyone irrespective. No one, i mean No one,whether a cab driver or a business magnet,a purist or a commuter would want their cars dented or scratched.
#11- VERY MUCH SIR WOULD I LIKE THIS FEATURE.Dunno how many times i have been blinded by stupid hi beam drivers. Though it's kinda dangerous nad will make accidents. Ironically Sumo/Innova cabdrivers or truck/bus drivers will dim for you when you flash the lights, but a guy driving an Alto or a Vento won't budge.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote