Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th January 2008, 16:25   #16
BHPian

Reg. the M800 Hand Brake heating up:
------------------------------------
I was told by the service engineer that its normal.

Reg. the Break Fluid topping up for Getz, asked by sidharth_j:
----------------------------------------------------------
Are you planning a DIY for topping up break fluid? What if there is a break fluid leak? Will you be able to detect it? I had break fluid leaking issue with my M800 and I got it topped up at a MASS.
sanjaykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 16:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
It has nothing to do with the handbrake.
I believe, the heat is coming from the exhaust pipe. If it bothers you too much, it would help to place some fireproof insulating material between the exhaust pipe and the floor board.
Thanks for that indication ram, it can certainly be because of that. The exhaust has been replaced an year ago(some 3000km ago) and probably the mech has fixed it too close to the body . I will get it checked and if clamping etc.,. is not feasible then the insulation material you suggested should be the way to go.
deetee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:37   #18
BANNED

there may be problem in exhaust pipe it may be in contact with that area and makes it hot. try to fix it. i think it is not a handbrake problem as if the car is driven with handbrake pulled the tyres are heated up not car body.
harry2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:57   #19
BHPian

I have the same 'problem' as well.. the area near the hand brake hinge becomes warm after some driving. But I am sure that the brake lever is not engaged.
Thanks Ram for clarifying that. Let me see if the insulation can be done. That will help the air conditioner
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 19:24   #20
BHPian

That's right. If it's a Maruti 800 that you own, and if it was manufactured between 2003/4 and 2005 (or beyond), you would notice the 'hot' handbrake. The service advisor had said that the catalytic convertor was positioned beneath the handbrake lever, when this was brought to his notice.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 19:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
The service advisor had said that the catalytic convertor was positioned beneath the handbrake lever, when this was brought to his notice.
This raises another question in my mind.Say some one ignores this and keeps driving .After some time, due to regular heating and cooling back, is it not possible that the underbody loses it resistance and becomes susceptible to corrosion /rusting in long run? If one can feel heat on this side of metal ,then surely other side should be much hot ,no?
Old 16th January 2008, 22:49   #22
BHPian

The temperature would not be high enough to cause any material damage. The heat must be transmitted through convection and not by direct contact, is my guess.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 00:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
That's right. If it's a Maruti 800 that you own, and if it was manufactured between 2003/4 and 2005 (or beyond), you would notice the 'hot' handbrake. The service advisor had said that the catalytic convertor was positioned beneath the handbrake lever, when this was brought to his notice.
I have a 1998 maruti 800 and it does not have a catalytic convertor but still the handbrake lever where the hinge is heats up after some driving.
Doing some research i figured out that the linkage is directly connected to the rear drums and when u press the brakes through the brake pedal the rear brake liners rub against the drum and thus some of the heat is transmitted through the linkage to the lever.
Has been happening in my car since 9 nd half years and there is nothing to worry about
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 09:41   #24
BHPian

This problem could also be due to a faulty ignition( the place where the car keys go in) I have problem with my Zen, where the light shows up sometimes, all I have to do is, turn the key anticlock wise (back) a little and the light disappers.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 13:04   #25
BANNED

If the car is fitted with a catlytic convertor , then fuel impurities might also heat the cat up. Try filling gas at some other station and check .

Cats block harmful gases and incase the fuel is adultarated then most probably ,the unburnt residue takes a longer time to burn and get out of the cat.

Best thing would be changing fuel and then looking for any catlytic convertor damages
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Cats block harmful gases and incase the fuel is adultarated then most probably ,the unburnt residue takes a longer time to burn and get out of the cat.
Correct me if am wrong, i think the cat-coverter doesn't do any burning nor any burning items are let out from engine into exhaust manifold. I think only hot (very hot) gases are let into exhaust from engine and cat does some chemical reaction to consume up the harmful chemicals.
In that case , probably convection of exhaust heat can be a cause rather than adulterated fuel.
Old 17th January 2008, 16:35   #27
BHPian

Default aftermarket mufflers-disadvantages?

this raises another question in me,if we look at the grey market for car-spares, a cheap muffler for an 800 can be obtained for as much as Rs.500 where as a new one costs something more than rs.1500 (just a guess didnot check exact prices). So, other than quality of metal and finishing , functionally are these after market mufflers too inferior than MGP ones?? Specifically do they have Cat-converters also? What kind problems can arise by using non-MGP mufflers(or silencer as they popularly call it).

Last edited by deetee : 17th January 2008 at 16:40.
Old 18th January 2008, 17:22   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Correct me if am wrong, i think the cat-coverter doesn't do any burning nor any burning items are let out from engine into exhaust manifold. I think only hot (very hot) gases are let into exhaust from engine and cat does some chemical reaction to consume up the harmful chemicals.
In that case , probably convection of exhaust heat can be a cause rather than adulterated fuel.

I didnt say the buring takes place in the cat , what i meant was the unburnt particles might be blocked inside the cat and when the vehicle is in operation the cat gets hotter because the unburnt particles will also start burning in the cat.

I tried testing my car with kerosene and also with diesel mixed petrol . I was on the verge of burning my car .
Old 18th January 2008, 17:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
what i meant was the unburnt particles might be blocked inside the cat and when the vehicle is in operation the cat gets hotter because the unburnt particles will also start burning in the cat.
greatmana, no offense meant to you,sorry if i 'had' implied so through my words, but lets clarify the technical facts- again i stand to be corrected if am wrong.
AFAIK, catcon has to deal with conversion of CO,Hydrocarbons and nitro compound(NO gases). These , even unburnt in engine , will be in gaseous state and don't burn as such(not ignitable).CatCon uses some chemical reactions to convert them to harmless compounds . So, there are no 'burning' particles leaving from engine into catcon; actually there will be no particles in exhaust you see- only hot,very hot gases. Well, that heat itself gets transfered by convection to components around catcon.May be thats what i felt as heat around handbrake hinge.

btw, brother are you a pc/console gaming freak- 'mana' in your name suggests it. Mana means that magic potion you drink to regain stamina to cast spells.
Old 18th January 2008, 18:14   #30
BANNED

Howstuffworks "How do I know if my catalytic converter has failed?" .

How can I tell if my catalytic converter is... — Yahoo! Autos

may be the link can put things in a better perspective .

The only types of games that I know are played in dark...lol