Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st December 2011, 15:52   #1

Default Central lock master motor/actuator problem...

hi,
Sometime back I had one of the autocop things installed inside my santro - the autocop itself got spoiled, but the central lock was working fine for past couple of years.

Now, for the past couple of days my central lock has been giving a problem and the authorized dealer said that the "guns were fine" but the "master motor/actuator" (on the driver side lock, which actually locks all the doors) is kaput.

He said, just the master motor - which looked pretty much like a gun, but with a 8-pin white socket - costs 3K by itself without the guns.

Is this true ? I thought something like that would be a couple of hundred bucks.
anybody else got just this component replaced?
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 19:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Central lock master motor/actuator problem...

this should get done under warranty - if it is within 3 years of purchase

Anyway 3k is way too high for a master motor
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 08:27   #3
BHPian

Forget repairing this at 3k you will get the halfkit (one which comes for cars with central locking with single actuator) under 3k. I did this longback on my sierra. Any ways this make sense as you get the remote along with a 3 year warrenty.
arun_sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 12:36   #4
BHPian

3k is on the steep side. A new system with central locking and remote can be done for that cost. Please re-confirm with the autocop dealer.
My advice would be to go in for a new locking system. Ask autocop guys to give you a discount or buy-back as you are getting their product installed again.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 20:51   #5

thanks for your replies.
one question - can one buy the master motor separately ? something like 5-WIRE DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR CONTROLLER MASTER MOTOR | eBay
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Sandys,
3K for a master actuator is day light robbery. Check this link below. CAR CENTRAL LOCKING SYSTEM PACKED + FREE SCRATCH REMOVER PEN | eBay
A whole system of manual central locking kit costs less than 1000 Rs.
Meanwhile do check with any Auto accessory shops. They do stock these, now a days. Even their mechanics would be able to do the replacement and I guess your job should be done in less than 700 Rs.
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:12   #7
BHPian

The actuator cost about 1.5 K for my Zen. The reason it went khaput was that there was inadequate lubrication in the levers of all doors so it had to do extra work :-( . Periodically oil/grease any moving parts in the doors for better actuator life.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:10   #8

ilangop/kutts - thanks a lot!

I think I have a good idea from which to go and ask the other mechanics. Least come, I will order from ebay.

Please do let me know if you have any brand suggestions for central lock only.