Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd January 2012, 20:32   #1

Unhappy Starting issue with my Ritz Vxi 2010

I am having an strange issue with my Ritz Vxi (20k), some times when i try to start it just crank for 1 second & then engine stops & repeats the same behavior until i press the race paddle along with turning the key . it happens even when i just came back to home after 10-15 km drive & try to start it within a minute.
25 % of time i have to press the race paddle along with turning the key to start the car. Can somebody suggest me the reason for this ??
sharmaruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Starting issue with my Ritz Vxi 2010

Some sensor are definitely not working. Hook it up with a diagnostic tool at any service centre and get the error codes.

Hope you service your car timely, and all the vital consumables are in ship shape.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmaruns View Post
I am having an strange issue with my Ritz Vxi (20k), some times when i try to start it just crank for 1 second & then engine stops & repeats the same behavior until i press the race paddle along with turning the key . it happens even when i just came back to home after 10-15 km drive & try to start it within a minute.
25 % of time i have to press the race paddle along with turning the key to start the car. Can somebody suggest me the reason for this ??
Could this be a problem with the fuel supply that is necessary during start-up may be not be happening in your causing it to switch and be normal when accelerator pedal is depressed slightly making way for fuel in the line or like Sir Alec has pointed out there could be problem with sensors.

Go to the dealer and get the OBD scanguage connected and clear out the errors and find out what it shows. Get it done soon.

how is the engine running otherwise? Jerks noticed or is it smooth?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 19:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Try an ECU hard reset.it may help.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 19:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Turn the key to ignition mode, but don't start the car. You should be able to hear a faint whine of the fuel pump. Do you hear it? If you do hear it then wait till that sound stops and then try cranking your car without pressing the accelerator pedal.
vikram_d is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 08:49   #6

Hello a4anurag ! The engine is running smooth & i dont feel any jerk till now. I'll catch the Service centre very soon.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody suggest me the reason for this ??
Sounds like a fuel supply issue.

Check:
  • Fuel pressure in lines (remove the lines going to the engine, and turn on ignition, there should be enough pressure, and not just flow. )
  • Fuel filter (check for blocks)
  • Fuel pump (check pump pressure, clean if needed)
Technically, you shouldn't be giving any throttle input to start an MPFi engine.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 00:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too need to try 3-4 times to crank up the engine of my Ritz petrol but that is generally every morning. Is this normal?? And there are times when I too find the need to press the accelerator pedal to start it. (I guess this is bad so il try and take vikram_d's advice.) Will try it and revert back.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 01:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think we are expecting the engine to crank on "half cell" (as used to be the case with warm carb engines)

My expeience with mpfi engines has been that you need to crank the engine for 3 secs before you expect it to fire.

and there is no need to ever use the accelerator to start a mpfi engine.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 21:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Isn't the colloquial term 'half self' ?

ECU controlled engines take slightly longer to start because the ECU has to sync itself from the crank/ cam index mark. Not really noticeable until one is very particular.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 23:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^
OT

"half self" it may be in most parts of the country where the starter is called the self starter or self motor

here since the starter motor is called starter, "self" is out and people say, "half cell" , "cell lagta hai kya?"
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 12:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I think we are expecting the engine to crank on "half cell" (as used to be the case with warm carb engines)

My expeience with mpfi engines has been that you need to crank the engine for 3 secs before you expect it to fire.

and there is no need to ever use the accelerator to start a mpfi engine.

I tried the same (wait for 3 secs) & it works.
Now i don't have to press the race paddle to turn on the engine. Thanks a lot vigsom.
Old 8th January 2012, 15:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^ so happy for you.

sharmaji, peda kab khilaoge?(where are the sweets?)
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Ritz was having this problem of having a bit lengthy cranking, or else the engine would die off, even when hot. This is in complete contrast to the starting of my Chevy Beat (at least till 5k on the odo) where the very slightest of crank will whip up the engine (thanks to the ECU raising the RPM above 1k and then settles down to idle RPM after a good 30-40 sec) even upon a cold start.

Recently, my friend had complained the issue with the service center and they replaced all spark plugs at close to 20k kms on the odo in 1.5 year. As per his words, the issue is solved after the replacement of spark plug!
thoma is online now   Reply With Quote