Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th January 2012, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Default Swift Diesel moving ahead in Neutral Gear

Hello Guys!

My cousins new diesel swift is facing a strange problem. Even though the car is in Neutral it is moving forward. Is this an issue with the transmission?? He is skeptical and needs advise from Team BHP before going to the Service Station.

Thank You!
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car moving ahead in Neutral Gear

Are you sure his car is not on a slope, another way to check is revv the engine, if some of that revv is getting to wheels then the rolling should increase. Another way to check is turn the engine off and the car would still continue to roll.

Still my best guess is that he is on a somewhat incline hence the car is only rolling forward.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:13   #3
BHPian

If the car is in Neutral gear, gravity takes effect and will move according to the gradient of the surface on which the car is parked.

How far is the car moving? If it is just about a foot or two it is expected behavior.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Are you sure his car is not on a slope, another way to check is revv the engine, if some of that revv is getting to wheels then the rolling should increase. Another way to check is turn the engine off and the car would still continue to roll.

Still my best guess is that he is on a somewhat incline hence the car is only rolling forward.
The car is on a flat surface and it inches forward very slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
If the car is in Neutral gear, gravity takes effect and will move according to the gradient of the surface on which the car is parked.

How far is the car moving? If it is just about a foot or two it is expected behavior.
It slowly creeps forward. Its like what happens with an automatic transmission car after moving it to "D".
The parking is a flat surface and still the car moves ahead.

Is something wrong with the transmission of a new car

Last edited by Racer_X : 11th January 2012 at 11:21.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Pull the handbrake lightly i.e. not pull it up fully and see if the car tries to fight the hand brake. If yes then it's a problem. If not it's just because it's a new car and it's much more free rolling.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Pull the handbrake lightly i.e. not pull it up fully and see if the car tries to fight the hand brake. If yes then it's a problem. If not it's just because it's a new car and it's much more free rolling.
Thanks Vid. Will try that and update the situation. What is the worst case scenario if the test you mentioned fails??
Old 11th January 2012, 11:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Hello Guys!

My cousins new diesel swift is facing a strange problem. Even though the car is in Neutral it is moving forward. Is this an issue with the transmission?? He is skeptical and needs advise from Team BHP before going to the Service Station.

Thank You!
Definitely weird issue! Now even the manual transmissions are having reliability issues

I would try the following:

1. Get the car in the same spot facing in the reverse direction and observe it in neutral. If it crawls backwards, you just have a slope issue. But if it crawls forward in this case also then there must be something wrong in the transmission.

2. Rev the engine hard - it should rev freely in neutral if the transmission is disengaged.

3. Try to vary the gear shift knob position in neutral (it will have a lot of play, so try different positions) and see if the engine revs freely in different positions.

Last edited by androdev : 11th January 2012 at 11:46.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

See if the vehicle keeps still when the clutch is engaged (pressed). If it does and moves forward when the pedal is released then might have to check the clutch setting.

EDIT: Read ^^ Dis-engaged when pressed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th January 2012 at 12:21.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
See if the vehicle keeps still when the clutch is engaged (pressed). If it does and moves forward when the pedal is released then might have to check the clutch setting.
It does move even after the clutch is engaged. What type of setting needs to be done. Don't want the SA taking him for a ride.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:58   #10
Team-BHP Support

Since its diesel swift this one is going to be tricky, not much of adjustment provision thanks to hydrolic unit. Gear box will have to be downed if the clutch actuation unit is otherwise ok.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

try keeping it in the direction opposite to the current and see what happens. Me thinks it is just rolling forward and has got nothing to do with the transmission. And if that indeed is the case then the car should roll backward when put in an opposite direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
See if the vehicle keeps still when the clutch is engaged (pressed). .
That confused me! My understanding is that when clutch pedal is pressed then the clutches are disengaged and vice versa!

Last edited by anilisanil : 11th January 2012 at 12:03.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
try keeping it in the direction opposite to the current and see what happens. Me thinks it is just rolling forward and has got nothing to do with the transmission. And if that indeed is the case then the car should roll backward when put in an opposite direction.
And also check on different surfaces, different places, if there is a problem then it should always keep rolling in front direction everywhere it stays. High tire pressure might also been playing some roll in it

Quote:
That confused me! My understanding is that when clutch pedal is pressed then the clutches are disengaged and vice versa!
I am also back to you.
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:20   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Aye aye! Correction noted! Will edit the post.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:54   #14

@ Racer_X - Most certainly its warranted to examine the circumstances in which the above mentioned behavior occurs. Is this only seen when the clutch is engaged? Does the RPM change? Is it only at cold start? Any grinding while changing gears? Any niggles while slotting gears? Any erratic gear changes? Any excessive play in Shift lever?

While it's difficult to spot the origin without a staggered & pragmatic diagnosis, this usually occurs if the gears haven't disengaged properly, owing to issues with the clutch retainers / linkage / bearing / synchronizers / viscosity level of Transmission fluid etc.

Its quintessential that your cousin gets the car inspected with Maruti while its within it's free service / warranty period.
somjith_nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 18:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

Your car is moving forward with the clutch pedal depressed AND the gearshift in neutral????

Thats REALLY unlikely, given that the transmission is disengaged at not one, but two places.

For the sake of asking : when if you rev the engine, does it start moving faster?

Also, if you park the car facing the other way, does it move backwards? (sorry)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote