Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th September 2007, 07:48   #106
BHPian

I use it when ever I park the car, irrespective of the terrain.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 08:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

I don't know, but I would expect the cops are not within their jurisdiction to cause ANY damage to your car while towing it away.?
And what do they do with rear wheel drive cars?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 18:09   #108
BHPian

I use handbrake all the time when parking my vehicle apart from putting it in gear. Also at signals during afternoons when sun is blazing, I would like to keep the AC going so putting it in neutral and applying the handbrake relieves me from stepping on the clutch and brake.

Also in cases where starting on a upward slope and there is a possibility of car moving back for the fraction of the second while moving my foot from brake to lever, I apply handbrake.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:44   #109
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I have a question, i have seen drivers use hand brake extensively during those adrenalin filled powertrips. The driver's main intent of using the hand brake is to make the car come to a stop while gliding sideways (sometimes even backwards). My understanding is hand brakes are recommended to be used only when the vehicle is stationary. Is it alright to hand brakes in this manner ?

Mods: Couldn't find a better thread to post this question. If inappropriate, request this to be moved.
super.cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:34   #110
MSC
BHPian

Default Re: Hand Brake - Do you use it everytime ?

Definitely.
The handbrake is an inseparable part of driving. Yes, it may not be of much use in plains and big cities but in hilly areas like in Shimla or in Manali using a handbrake is a necessity owing to repeated stops in treacherous terrain.

Last edited by MSC : 23rd June 2015 at 22:45.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 01:22   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Also at signals during afternoons when sun is blazing, I would like to keep the AC going so putting it in neutral and applying the handbrake relieves me from stepping on the clutch and brake.
Apart from the aforementioned relief, it also aids in reducing unnecessary clutch wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
I have a question, i have seen drivers use hand brake extensively during those adrenalin filled powertrips. The driver's main intent of using the hand brake is to make the car come to a stop while gliding sideways (sometimes even backwards). My understanding is hand brakes are recommended to be used only when the vehicle is stationary. Is it alright to hand brakes in this manner ?

Mods: Couldn't find a better thread to post this question. If inappropriate, request this to be moved.
By 'powertrips' if you mean drifting then yes, the hand brake is used to initiate a drift although not much preferred.

It is a much simpler mechanism since it usually consists of a lever connected directly to the brakes using a cable. The stopping force created by this manual mechanism is far less compared to hydraulic or pneumatic-controlled ones hence they are to be used only in case of the latter's failure or in emergencies.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 24th June 2015 at 01:23.
Turbo_Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 10:07   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Apart from the aforementioned relief, it also aids in reducing unnecessary clutch wear.

By 'powertrips' if you mean drifting then yes, the hand brake is used to initiate a drift although not much preferred.

It is a much simpler mechanism since it usually consists of a lever connected directly to the brakes using a cable. The stopping force created by this manual mechanism is far less compared to hydraulic or pneumatic-controlled ones hence they are to be used only in case of the latter's failure or in emergencies.
Thanks for confirming heavy usage of handbrake while in motion is not preferred. I actually borrowed the term after i watched this video,

super.cars is offline   Reply With Quote