Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th January 2012, 19:33   #1
BHPian

Default Does any one know G13BA or Esteem Carb ie 8 valve cam timing

I just finished swapping my Zen's engine with a G13BA from the esteem. I need to install headers. To get the dimensions right I need to know the exhaust cam timing for the engine. I searched all over the net but cant find them. I need to know what is the degree at which the exhaust cam opens and closes. Can somebody help me out with this info? Normally its anywhere from 40 - 50 degrees BBDC anyone has the right nos?
wildwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 10:56   #2
BANNED

Default Re: Does any one know G13BA or Esteem Carb ie 8 valve cam timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwheels View Post
I just finished swapping my Zen's engine with a G13BA from the esteem. I need to install headers. I need to know what is the degree at which the exhaust cam opens and closes. Can somebody help me out with this info? Normally its anywhere from 40 - 50 degrees BBDC anyone has the right nos?
For the G13BA engine the exhaust valve clearances are:

1. Cold exhaust: 0.15 - 0.19mm

2. Hot exhaust: 0.25 - 0.29 mm

With these valve clearance settings you will have the right open and closure settings for the exhaust.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Thanks Veyron. but those are valve clearances what I want is what is the timing at which the cam timing for a stock cam works ie Exhause valave opens at 42 BBDC and closes at 10 ATDC. I have a feeling that these are the actual values for the engine but I need a confirmation from someone.
wildwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 16:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwheels View Post
Thanks Veyron. but those are valve clearances what I want is what is the timing at which the cam timing for a stock cam works ie Exhause valave opens at 42 BBDC and closes at 10 ATDC. I have a feeling that these are the actual values for the engine but I need a confirmation from someone.
Hi wild wheels, the only settings that can be adjusted on the exhaust side are the exhaust valve clearances. If these are set as per the factory specifications for cold and hot you will have the required readings of BBDC and ATDC. These are secondary level measurements and are not usually required if the first level of measurements are correct.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:51   #5
BHPian

Wildwheels doesnt want to adjust anything, he needs it to design the headers.
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 19:28   #6
BANNED

If you're designing the headers I would suggest you should take the atdc and bbdc measurements yourself and not rely on information from the web. These figures are not contained in the workshop manual and therefore the accuracy will always be in doubt. Factories do not usually release this as it is at most required for calculating length and diameter of headers.

The best source of design for your headers would be Graham Bells or Jennings formulae on pipe lengths and diameter.

However, since you are taking the trouble to design the headers from scratch (the operative word being design), it will be better if you take the measurements also yourself as there are no factory figures for this and hence you could go wrong taking them from the net after taking the trouble of designing the header if you designed them on the basis of wrong data.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 20th January 2012 at 19:32.