Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd February 2012, 11:49   #1
BHPian

Default Skoda woes continues-2nd breakdown

Hello Guys,

My Sister in law's husband had purchased a Fabia elegance from Asset Auto Pune in October 2011. Everything was was going fine untill on Jan 2012 when going to office (Hinjewadi), out of the blue suddenly "Glow plug system" & "Engine Malfunction(Control System for exhaust)" errors started flashing. The car did not break down or there were no indication of any mechanical failure.

Her husband immediately checked the error description in the manual, which suggested that they should take it to the service station immediately. Europa Auto being the closest to Hinjewadi the car was taken there. The car has been with Europa for alomost 10 days now and still they are unable to reason as to why this error is flashing. Another excuse for not resolving the issue given by Europa is that since the car is in still in warranty period they need some approvals from Skoda Aurangabad for getting on with the work. After pestering them, yesteday 2 VW engineers inspected the car and are not sure of the issue and have told him to wait for another couple of days.

I feel that Europa is not taking the case seriously as the car was not purchased from them and do not want to get into the rut of clearing the warranty claim. I feel it is some issue with the ECU and replacing it would really be expensive, they are stalling the matter. A disinterested customer care lady from Skoda had called up for the second time again asked from where he had purchased the car and what was the issue. The matter was explained to her in detail. She just gave the standard reply that they have logged the case and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Please advise what should be the next steps here, he is frustrated that even after spending 7+ lakhs for the top end variant, his brand new car is giving issues and Europa guys are stalling and not giving a clear answer.

Last edited by Racer_X : 3rd February 2012 at 11:58.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Skoda woes continues-2nd breakdown

Every time i read some good stories on Skoda i feel better then finally they are getting their act together and should be good to consider if ever i want to buy another sedan/hatch, and every time soon there is some problem story that pops up.

I would recommend you to take the car to Asset Auto (as its in Pune itself), worse case you might have to bear towing charges, or ferry it to Asset Auto (Considering for towing you might have to start the car).

Alternatively send an email to Skoda Corporate, with the link to this thread attached (customercare@skoda-auto.co.in). Do push your case, this should be in warranty and should be done fast.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

For every one good story from Skoda, there are 10 night mares. Just when you think they have become better, things change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I feel that Europa is not taking the case seriously as the car was not purchased from them and do not want to get into the rut of clearing the warranty claim. I feel it is some issue with the ECU and replacing it would really be expensive, they are stalling the matter.
In this case, why don't you call up the actual dealers [from where it was bought] and talk to them. I suggest you DONT leave the car with people who are not interested; instead, pay up for flat bed & get the car out of there.

To lighten the situation,
Quote:
My Sister in law's husband...
Technically, isn't that your brother?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Every time i read some good stories on Skoda i feel better then finally they are getting their act together and should be good to consider if ever i want to buy another sedan/hatch, and every time soon there is some problem story that pops up.

I would recommend you to take the car to Asset Auto (as its in Pune itself), worse case you might have to bear towing charges, or ferry it to Asset Auto (Considering for towing you might have to start the car).

Alternatively send an email to Skoda Corporate, with the link to this thread attached (customercare@skoda-auto.co.in). Do push your case, this should be in warranty and should be done fast.
I am writing to the said email address immediately. Do you have any specific email address for Skoda official high up the ranks who could expedite the resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For every one good story from Skoda, there are 10 night mares. Just when you think they have become better, things change!

In this case, why don't you call up the actual dealers [from where it was bought] and talk to them. I suggest you DONT leave the car with people who are not interested; instead, pay up for flat bed & get the car out of there.

To lighten the situation,

Technically, isn't that your brother?

Will be talking to my sister in law's husband about this solution.

OT : Technically don't know what do you address wife's- sister's - husband
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:32   #5
BHPian

The horror stories from Skoda just doesn't seem to end. Just when you thought they pulled up their socks, bang one comes up. I'm sorry to hear about your SIL's car racerX.

Try and get the car to the same dealer from where you purchased the car even if you have to foot the towing charges. You really don't want to get into a situation of dealer-blame-other dealer game. It'll just compound your misery.

An acquaintance of mine too has a Skoda Fabia and I remember him telling me of a similar problem faced by him. The dealer inspected the car and all seemed ok. He hasnt got the problem again yet.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
The horror stories from Skoda just doesn't seem to end. Just when you thought they pulled up their socks, bang one comes up. I'm sorry to hear about your SIL's car racerX.

Try and get the car to the same dealer from where you purchased the car even if you have to foot the towing charges. You really don't want to get into a situation of dealer-blame-other dealer game. It'll just compound your misery.

An acquaintance of mine too has a Skoda Fabia and I remember him telling me of a similar problem faced by him. The dealer inspected the car and all seemed ok. He hasnt got the problem again yet.
Please elaborate on the problem and the resolution given by the dealer. maybe this can help the dealer here in understanding and resolving the issue.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:47   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that Europa is not taking the case seriously as the car was not purchased from them and do not want to get into the rut of clearing the warranty claim. I feel it is some issue with the ECU and replacing it would really be expensive, they are stalling the matter. A disinterested customer care lady from Skoda had called up for the second time again asked from where he had purchased the car and what was the issue. The matter was explained to her in detail. She just gave the standard reply that they have logged the case and it will be resolved as soon as possible.
To Europa it shouldn't matter where you bought the car and warranty claim will only mean that the parts would be provided by the factory they would still charge the labour rates to Skoda instead of your SIL_H. Even if you had bought the car from them it would have been the same.

Skoda can be a bit slow in giving approvals and the best way to speed this would be excallate within Skoda and trying to reach various persons within Skoda. Also speaking to the dealer where you bought the car for the right contact within Skoda will help speed things up.

Have them speak to Eurpoa firmly and ask for some clear dates for various steps. Communicate in writting with them and ask them to give dates for various steps in resolution again in writting.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:50   #8
BHPian

The following mail has been written to "Customer care ()"

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 1:38 PM
To: 'customercare@skoda-auto.co.in'
Cc: 'Salil Gupte'; 'Gupte, Prajakta'
Subject: Faulty ECU for New Fabia
Hi Team,

I have purchased a Skoda Fabia Elegance Diesel model from Asset Auto in the month of Oct’ 2011, in the name of my wife Prajakta Salil Gupte. Car registration # MH12HL0328.
I use the car for daily commutation & have already completed 5196 km in the span of 3 months.
One fine day in Jan’ 2012, while I was driving for office (Hinjewadi), out of the blue suddenly "Glow plug system" & "Engine Malfunction(Control System for exhaust)" errors started flashing. The car did not break down or there were no indication of any mechanical failure. I immediately checked the error description in the manual, which suggested that the car should be taken to the nearest service station. Europa Auto being the closest to Hinjewadi the car was taken there. The incident happened on 24th Jan 12 & till date (3rd Feb 2012) the car is with Europa Auto & I have no clear picture of the status & their action plan.
As a customer I am completely frustrated with the below issues:

1. I have purchased the top end variant at a premium price. To face such issues is totally unacceptable. I strongly believe that a defective car has been delivered to me & should be immediately replaced.

2. There is a lot of hype about the Skoda engines & technology. I use the word ‘hype’ because I fail to understand how a sound technology can fail in the first 3 months of purchase & secondly, why does it take so long to get the issue resolved? It has been more than 10 days & I still don’t know the realistic status.

3. Communication from Europa Auto is pathetic (to say the least). Every time, I have to make a call to the service provider to get details & status update. I have to hold the line till the advisor feels worthy to speak with me. Does Skoda really value its customers? Or is it that Europa is not taking the case seriously as the car was not purchased from them and do not want to get into the rut of clearing the warranty claim?

4. Once when I had called Europa, the service advisor informed that they have contacted the concerned team & that ‘Skoda’ is not responding. I fail to understand that if the service advisor from Europa doesn’t feel a part of Skoda family & doesn’t take any ownership in pushing things to make the overall procedure more effective, how can the customer benefit out of the services?

5. The last update I got from Europa (obvious that I had called) is that the engineers from VW chakan have now started investigating & need 2 more days for their analysis. Why were they not part of the investigation from 1st or 2nd day?

6. I use my car on a daily basis & drive almost 60 kms in a day. I had purchased the car for the comfort & safety of my family. Managing without a car is very inconvenient & risky. Did I make a mistake by spending my hard earned money in purchasing your car at premium price & to face this discomfort at such an initial stage? Why hasn’t Skoda even bothered to give me a backup vehicle till the time the faulty part or defective vehicle (as the case may be) gets replaced?
I sincerely feel that my expectations are very basic & legitimate.
Kindly let me know if you feel otherwise or please ensure that my case is fast tracked & some favorable news comes my way!

We have also raised this issue on Team BHP forum. Please check the below link for details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2668516

Regards,
Salil Gupte

Last edited by Racer_X : 3rd February 2012 at 13:53.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

These Skoda woes don't seem to be ending. Why are people still buying them? Any one who asks for my opinion about a car is told to stay away form Skoda and VW group in general.

Reading through the many Skoda horror stories here, not sure what to recommend but please do take it to someone who's interested in fixing it. And just pray, they can fix it and hope it never happens again.

Quote:
OT : Technically don't know what do you address wife's- sister's - husband
I think it's "co-brother"
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

I remember a similar issue reported by a BHPian called uvmallya who had similar problem with his Polo TDI. The problem had started at around 2000 km. VW guys wrongly diagnosed this as turbocharger failure and replaced it. Finally the issue turned out to be trivial. Polo and Fabia are pretty much the same car under the skin anyway.

I am unable to find that thread, since I am using cell phone. Can you search please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I think it's "co-brother"
That term is invented by us Indians and is used only in India

Last edited by rohanjf : 3rd February 2012 at 13:58.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:03   #11

Why dont they just Flash the ECU and see if it goes away? Flashing an ECU takes the best part of half an hour at the most!!
Novitec458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am writing to the said email address immediately. Do you have any specific email address for Skoda official high up the ranks who could expedite the resolution.
There are a few floating around in the forum, do get in touch with @ajmat (Moderator) he has had decent amount of experience in dealing with Skoda, also read up his thread.

There are some other email IDs like (Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in), (Shrivatsa.Agrawal@skoda-auto.co.in), (Yuvaraj.Patil@skoda-auto.co.in), (Yaser.Syed@skoda-auto.co.in). Seems like Mr.Shrivastsa deals in customer care, others i am not too sure.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
There are a few floating around in the forum, do get in touch with @ajmat (Moderator) he has had decent amount of experience in dealing with Skoda, also read up his thread.

There are some other email IDs like (Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in), (Shrivatsa.Agrawal@skoda-auto.co.in), (Yuvaraj.Patil@skoda-auto.co.in), (Yaser.Syed@skoda-auto.co.in). Seems like Mr.Shrivastsa deals in customer care, others i am not too sure.
Thanks Mayank,

Alonng with Sudhir, I am planning to write to

Mr. Detlef Roemhild, Sr. General Manager, After Sales, SkodaAuto India .
Hopefully we get a positive reply. Will send a message to ajmat as well.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:03   #14
BHPian

Acknowledgement received from Skoda after sales guy.

Quote:

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 4:44 PM
To: Salil Dilip Gupte
Subject: RE: Faulty ECU for New Fabia

Dear Mr Salil Gupte,
At the outset we apologize for any inconvenience caused. We have taken up the matter with our dealership and have asked for th details. We will revert with our resolution shortly, kindly bear with us till such time

Thank you

Best Regards
Srinivas Sudhir l After Sales
ŠKODA AUTO India Pvt. Ltd. | Plot No. A-1/ Shendra, Five Star Industrial Area, MIDC | Aurangabad, Maharashtra 431201 | India
Tel: 0240 6631202 Fax: 0240 6631299
www.skoda-auto.co.in | www.skoda-auto.com
Škoda - Simply clever.
The Skoda signature line " Škoda - Simply clever" is quite ironic

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 13:52. Reason: Removing email address. Best not to have them up on a public forum
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I sent a PM to uvmallya. Here is what Mr. Mallya said:
Quote:
Yes, I went through the thread and think it is a problem very much similar to that of my car. I had the problem right from the time the vehicle was delivered and not at 2000 kms as mentioned in your quote. The problem was solved with a change of the wiring harness.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote