Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th January 2010, 12:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
My friends' SX4 ZXi recently collided with a i10 and the airbags operated (saving his life).

The Maruti repair guys said that the seat belts become useless (get jammed) after the airbags operate. so they had to change the seat belts, air bags, the dashboard, steering wheel ( minus the column), and seat belt + airbags electronics . the total cost came to about 1 lakh and a few thousands. I don't think the total installation cost (aftermarket ) should cross a lakh and a half or may be two.
That's a costly affair but I guess that being alive to tell the tale is worth every paisa ! And I guess insurance will take care of most of the cost ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Aftermarket Airbags

Insurance does not cover airbags from what I understand. Also, Maruti guy is wrong - seatbelts don't become useless. Seatbelts have saved more injuries and lives than airbags. Airbags always have SRS written on them - why? SRS is Supplementary Restraint System, the Active Restraint System are your seatbelts. Also, the standards of airbag deployment are different in USA and in Europe - one is based on assumption that driver is not wearing seatbelts and the other on driver wearing seatbelts. Also, kids can actually get killed with airbags and hence they are not allowed to sit in front abroad.

There are two kinds of triggers which will deploy an airbag - an electrical one and a mechanical one. You will not be able to install an airbag with an electrical trigger but it is theoretically possible to install one with a mechanical trigger. But you need to have the space in the car for the airbag to be placed - usually cars with Airbags as options do have that space and might have made it into a storage compartment. Hope this helps.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Also, Maruti guy is wrong - seatbelts don't become useless.
What he means is that the seat belts will need to be replaced. They need to be replaced if they have Pre-tensioners. These belts have something like an airbag which explode when the airbags come on to keep the person restrained. Hence while repairing you will need to replace the seat belts along with the airbags!
sarmarishi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
What he means is that the seat belts will need to be replaced. They need to be replaced if they have Pre-tensioners. These belts have something like an airbag which explode when the airbags come on to keep the person restrained. Hence while repairing you will need to replace the seat belts along with the airbags!
Ah - my bad then. I thought the Maruti chap meant that seatbelts are useless in a crash.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... There are two kinds of triggers which will deploy an airbag - an electrical one and a mechanical one. You will not be able to install an airbag with an electrical trigger but it is theoretically possible to install one with a mechanical trigger. But you need to have the space in the car for the airbag to be placed - usually cars with Airbags as options do have that space and might have made it into a storage compartment. Hope this helps.
Huh? There is only ONE trigger, and that is the electrical output of the Airbag ECU to ignite the charge shell which ignites the gas generator.

One can, theoretically, add a driver airbag by replacing the steering wheel, but a passenger airbag is more difficult - one has to replace the whole dash shell. But even for that one has to assume that one can do it in a car whose other variants (same model, not another model) have airbag, and one is modifying the variant which came without. If the car model itself never had an airbag, the cost to adapt an airbag system for that model would be ... well, buy a new car instead!!!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
What happens with pre-tensioners is that when the sensors (the same airbag sensors) sense a crash, the seat belts roll back a little and tighten the belt before the crash.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 22nd July 2011 at 20:31.
fiat_tarun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:00   #22
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Insurance does not cover airbags from what I understand.
Are you sure about this part ?

I hear that abroad the premiums are lower on safer vehicles. How can insurance discourage use of airbags in India like this ?
MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Are you sure about this part ?

I hear that abroad the premiums are lower on safer vehicles. How can insurance discourage use of airbags in India like this ?
You are right - the safer the vehicle, the lower the premium. But also taken into account are the driver's age, sex, history etc. when calculating a premium.

From what I understand if there is a collision and it is determined that it is not your fault, then the insurance company would have to pay for the airbags if you have collision coverage.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 15:05   #24
BHPian

Default Can Polo Comfortline be fitted with airbags?

Hi,

I am going for a Polo petrol Comfortline very soon. Can live without all the extra bells and whistles on Highline, even the ABS, but will miss the airbags.

My question is, can the comfortline be fitted with airbags, preferably under warranty? It's not listed as optional accessories, but wanted the pundit's opinion on that.

Mods, feel free to merge if something similar exists. I searched, but couldn't find any.
cr4nkshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 15:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Can Polo Comfortline be fitted with airbags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Hi,

I am going for a Polo petrol Comfortline very soon. Can live without all the extra bells and whistles on Highline, even the ABS, but will miss the airbags.

My question is, can the comfortline be fitted with airbags, preferably under warranty? It's not listed as optional accessories, but wanted the pundit's opinion on that.

Mods, feel free to merge if something similar exists. I searched, but couldn't find any.
I doubt if that is doable...& if that is achievable, getting it retrofitted and not voiding warranty is simply out of question. I have heard horrible excuses for not honouring the warranty...even fitting a radio outside the auth. service centre. Airbags would need complex sensors, new steering wheel, sensors, may be bumpers too. Further, retrofitting airbags is not recommended too as it may not be reliable since it is a complex system, best done at the factory by the manufacturer. I read once that some company used to manufacture such systems with steering wheel which housed driver side airbag but I would never go for it.

Hence my advice would be to put in extra money & buy a version that offer air bags built-in. That will be safe, worth the money and most importantly, you will have peace of mind.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 16:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Can live without all the extra bells and whistles on Highline, even the ABS, but will miss the airbags.

If you havenít booked the car yet, please opt for the highline variant. Adding aftermarket airbags is not recommended due to the reasons mentioned above, and more so because VWís service is extremely fussy! And in an unfortunate event of an accident, airbags could mean a difference between life and death.

In addition to airbags, you get ABS (which comes extremely useful in panic braking situations) and a host of other features such as the RCD320 music system with steering controls and BT connectivity, leather wrapped steering, handbrake and gearknob, rear parking sensors, climate control AC among others. I would say the additional investment is well worth the price you pay for it.

Airbags do not guarantee the safety of the lives but there's a good chance that the chances of fatalities are reduced to a large extent.

Please go through this thread as well - My Dzire met with an accident

And this - Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 16:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If you havenít booked the car yet, please opt for the highline variant.
Please go through this thread as well - My Dzire met with an accident

And this - Collision, Airbags and Chaos - Cedia takes a hit
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hence my advice would be to put in extra money & buy a version that offer air bags built-in. That will be safe, worth the money and most importantly, you will have peace of mind.
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
The Dzire thread was what made me post this.
However, I am really straining my finances by getting the CL, TL was within my range. Getting an HL.. well I'll have to get out of the car at every red signal and sit on the road shouting "kuch de de baba!!"

Anyway, thanks for the inputs!
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote