Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd March 2006, 22:44   #1
BHPian

Default Aftermarket Airbags

I may sound stupid here, but just qurious. Is it possible to install aftermarket airbags in cars?

Even if this is done,
1. Will it be effective?
2. Will it cause more harm than good (I fear)?
3. What will be cost?
rameshspassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 19:22   #2
BHPian

everything's possible but u'll end up spending more than the cost of the car, its obvious the cost of the car is not below 15lakhs as anything above that would have airbags
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 03:28   #3
BHPian

spending more than car for just air-bags !! Even Swift has them..I am sure they are not only charging for air bags in their top end model..there is just incremental cost to it.

However in my experience, getting anything done here in india which is not popular in after-market is very-2 difficult and there is dearth of quality players..perhaps Team-bhp can fill that void - :-) what do you say guys...some money won't hurt right?
vivek.singh.73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 04:26   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldnt trust anybody besides the car makers Factory to fit the airbags...forget aftermarket even the showroom ppl cant be trusted with such imp safety tools.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 08:40   #5
BHPian

i still dont understand why airbags are not fitted on all cars.... so many lives would be saved if they had been installed.... abroad i know for sure that each an every car comes with an airbag by default....

makign an airbag a luxury piece aint right....
rankoz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 08:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

As of today, i don't know of after-market Airbags. It'll need a lot of sensors, a new steering wheel,etc..
OT:
Quote:
i still dont understand why airbags are not fitted on all cars.... so many lives would be saved if they had been installed.... abroad i know for sure that each an every car comes with an airbag by default....

makign an airbag a luxury piece aint right....
Its a new technology in India and will substantially increase the price of a car in India which is a price-sensitive market. Moreover, a lot of people don't give importance to a part since they consider they woudn't be using it (like they already know that they wouldn't ever crash).

Thats the reason Swift ZXi sells lesser than the Vxi.

Last edited by nitrous : 24th March 2006 at 09:03.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 09:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
As of today, i don't know of after-market Airbags. It'll need a lot of sensors, a new steering wheel,etc..
OT:

Its a new technology in India and will substantially increase the price of a car in India which is a price-sensitive market. Moreover, a lot of people don't give importance to a part since they consider they woudn't be using it (like they already know that they wouldn't ever crash).

Thats the reason Swift ZXi sells lesser than the Vxi.
Well atleast it should be given as an option in EVERY car...fine our market is price sensitive but that shouldnt stop people who care more abt safety and think more logically to hv access to having air bags in their cars. For instance the NHC has no option of an airbag....i agree giving it as standard fitment will increase the price but a buyer like me who wanted an air bag in his NHC should be given the option at a price! I guess by law they should make every car maker no matter what segment have dual air bags as an option.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 10:26   #8
BANNED

aftermarket airbags?

NO, and that's in capitals.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 22:40   #9
BHPian

whos putting air bags in aftermarket ?? just curious
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 23:27   #10
BHPian

no one west u gotta do it ur self
Kinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 12:38   #11
BHPian

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Well atleast it should be given as an option in EVERY car...
RIGHT ON....I totally second your message dude.... IT SHOULD BE GIVEN AS AN OPTION ATLEAST!!!! LETS HOPE THESE MESSAGES SEE LIGHT...
rankoz350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 09:45   #12
BHPian

It has been 4 years since this thread saw any replies , how is the situation now.

I want to fit Airbags and ABS and EBD in my June 06 Baleno which I recently bought ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-baleno-3.html (Second hand 1.6L car , Pune? EDIT : Bought Baleno))

What is the approximate cost of this equipment and is ABS/EBD worth it? (I definitely want Air bags)
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 09:51   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
It has been 4 years since this thread saw any replies , how is the situation now.

I want to fit Airbags and ABS and EBD in my June 06 Baleno which I recently bought ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-baleno-3.html (Second hand 1.6L car , Pune? EDIT : Bought Baleno))

What is the approximate cost of this equipment and is ABS/EBD worth it? (I definitely want Air bags)
HI
the only answer to your question is big no
i have travel all around the most countries europe and usa in no market anybody offer this
because this always factory fitted
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 10:00   #14
BHPian

My friends' SX4 ZXi recently collided with a i10 and the airbags operated (saving his life).

The Maruti repair guys said that the seat belts become useless (get jammed) after the airbags operate. so they had to change the seat belts, air bags, the dashboard, steering wheel ( minus the column), and seat belt + airbags electronics . the total cost came to about 1 lakh and a few thousands. I don't think the total installation cost (aftermarket ) should cross a lakh and a half or may be two.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 11:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

But that is for SX4. Does MSIL india supply airbags for baleno? I think not.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote