Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 00:14   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

The car parts have arrived and the work has begun. I have two very specific questions that I need answers to:

* As you're aware, I was protected by the seat belt during the accident. Does the Punto seat beat have a pretensioner? If yes, will it need replacement? I checked with the dealership and they're unable to give me a specific answer.
* While the external side body is being entirely replaced, the service adviser handling my car says they'll try to salvage the internal body to the greatest extent possible using the chassis straightening machine. Is this the right approach? Of course, I will make the sure that the car is completely waterproof at the end of it all.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 06:39   #47
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartha
The car parts have arrived and the work has begun. I have two very specific questions that I need answers to:

* As you're aware, I was protected by the seat belt during the accident. Does the Punto seat beat have a pretensioner? If yes, will it need replacement? I checked with the dealership and they're unable to give me a specific answer.
The top end Puntos come with ELR seat belts + pretensioner iirc. If you check the owners manual you might find an answer.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 20:39   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop
I won't suggest filing an FIR and trying to get the claim settled thru the Xylo's insurance provider. The procedure for that in INDIA is just too complicated.
I am just back from the workshop. The car is currently on the chassis-straightening machine and repairs seem to be progressing fine (albeit very slowly; it is already a month since the accident).

I have one point where I'm not too sure and would need advice. The outer side body has arrived as part of the spare parts ordered. The workshop guys are insisting that they'd want to cut and replace just the portions that are damaged, instead of replacing the entire side body. Replacing the side body, per their version, would cause a lot of overhead. They'd need to detach and reweld the roof and also the windshield. Is that the case? They're trying to convince me that the final welded outer side body will be completely uniform and strong.

Note that this discussion pertains to just the outer side body. They're replacing all the pillar and body fragments that are damaged. Please let me know your thoughts.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting a lengthy post since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th March 2012 at 13:42.
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 21:23   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartha View Post
I am just back from the workshop. The car is currently on the chassis-straightening machine and repairs seem to be progressing fine (albeit very slowly; it is already a month since the accident).

I have one point where I'm not too sure and would need advice. The outer side body has arrived as part of the spare parts ordered. The workshop guys are insisting that they'd want to cut and replace just the portions that are damaged, instead of replacing the entire side body. Replacing the side body, per their version, would cause a lot of overhead. They'd need to detach and reweld the roof and also the windshield. Is that the case? They're trying to convince me that the final welded outer side body will be completely uniform and strong.

Note that this discussion pertains to just the outer side body. They're replacing all the pillar and body fragments that are damaged. Please let me know your thoughts.
If they are only talking about body panels that form no part of the crumple zone or safety cage then it is fine. Please check it though because if you say yes to this, they might then take the liberty with all the parts and that might be a bit of a risk.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 02:20   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If they are only talking about body panels that form no part of the crumple zone or safety cage then it is fine. Please check it though because if you say yes to this, they might then take the liberty with all the parts and that might be a bit of a risk.
Oh, I'm being very finicky with them. Yes, they are referring to the outer body panel.
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 06:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,335 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartha View Post
The car is currently on the chassis-straightening machine and repairs seem to be progressing fine.
Any pics of the car on the jig ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 14:19   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any pics of the car on the jig ?
Since you asked, I am including pictures of the car (work in progress) that I clicked yesterday. :-) The wine-red cut-out panel is the discarded piece of the external side body. This part is being replaced with a precision-cut new piece from a fresh side body panel. You can also see some places where the chassis has been "pulled out" slightly.

Thoughts are most welcome. The car will reach the paint shop tomorrow, it seems.

Just an additional question: How do insurance companies usually deal with scrap? Can I claim it and sell it in the open market?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0130.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0131.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0133.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0134.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0137.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0138.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1_imag0132.jpg  

Samartha is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 18:31   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,335 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Thanks, Samartha. Looks like the repair is being done very professionally & not a quick-fix. Hoping the car will be as good as new after this.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:09   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Samartha. Looks like the repair is being done very professionally & not a quick-fix. Hoping the car will be as good as new after this.
Much thanks for putting my mind to rest. Yes, I'm happy with how the repairs are progressing. Just that things are taking a bit of time.

I'll post 'after' photos once I get the car.
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,745
Thanked: 4,335 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

@Samartha, please keep an eye on the panel gaps. You could point it / highlight it to the guys working on the car.

Reason I Mention this is pic #4 above. Pls check if the gap on the other side (the un-damaged side) is similar.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:04   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 1,110 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
The top end Puntos come with ELR seat belts + pretensioner iirc. If you check the owners manual you might find an answer.
Only the fully loaded, read Emotion Pack (If Pre 2012)/ Emotion (2012) come with this feature.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:45   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Samartha, please keep an eye on the panel gaps. You could point it / highlight it to the guys working on the car.

Reason I Mention this is pic #4 above. Pls check if the gap on the other side (the un-damaged side) is similar.
Thanks for the useful advice. I checked and the gaps seem fine to me.

I am attaching some more photos that I captured yesterday. The only area of concern I saw was a patch on the floor around the point of impact where the metal seems to have thinned out when the chassis was "pulled out" using the chassis-straightening machine. I spoke to the service adviser and he said they'd spot weld this part and also fill in silicon wherever required.

The car is in the paint shop and I'm hopeful I'll be driving it again in a couple of days. It's been a long, grueling wait.

That's about it at the moment. I have learnt a lot about car-building in the past month, thanks to the helpful experts on Team BHP!
Attached Images
       
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 20:09   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Only the fully loaded, read Emotion Pack (If Pre 2012)/ Emotion (2012) come with this feature.
Fellow BHPians,

Finally, 52 days after the accident, I have some good news. The car has been repaired and delivered to me.

The inordinate delay was getting unbearable, but once I escalated the issue to the Dealer Principal, things moved pretty quickly. Spare parts started arriving swiftly and road tests began yielding results.

One final issue was discovered after I'd received the vehicle (for the first time). I headed straight to the fuel station and diesel started leaking all around under the car after a few hundred bucks worth of fuel had been pumped in. The fuel gauge wasn't working as well. I took the car back to the workshop and they discovered a broken fuel pump. They replaced it promptly and the car seems to be working fine now.

There's one final glitch. They have still not been able to arrange the recline adjusting level for the passenger seat. 10 more days, it seems.

The total damage from my pocket (including crane charges) turned out to be Rs. 9700.

Here are some photos I clicked while getting the door beadings installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-imag0164.jpg-picasa-photo-viewer-09042012-200738.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-imag0165.jpg-picasa-photo-viewer-09042012-200740.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-imag0166.jpg-picasa-photo-viewer-09042012-200746.jpg  

Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 13:47   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Noida
Posts: 47
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Some more pictures of the inside repairs; also a snapshot of the 'QuickFixed' passenger seat lever in the last picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-1.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-2.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-3.jpg  

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage-4.jpg  

Samartha is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 15:33   #60
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Hi Samartha,
I too had an accident involving my year old scorpio. In my case a lorry rammed from the back. Fortunately I was going at 40 kms and the impact did not cause damage to my chassis. But my back door and the back side panels are badly damaged along with the rear floor. Dealer says that the floor cannot be replaced and even Mahindra feels the same. I am waiting for my body shell replacement approval. Not sure how long that process will take.
SanScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is A-pillar, B-pillar, C-pillar? mithun Technical Stuff 18 23rd June 2014 09:56
Accident damage, but worse... My Swift is rusting away! Thad E Ginathom Street Experiences 130 5th February 2012 14:57
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Swift VDI+ABS or Fiat Punto MJD or New Fabia 1.2 Diesel. Edit- Booked Fiat Punto MJD magnanimousdude Hatchbacks 59 27th October 2010 13:18
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers Crimson In-Car Entertainment 11 18th September 2010 00:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks