Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th April 2012, 19:03   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorp View Post
Hi Samartha,
I too had an accident involving my year old scorpio. In my case a lorry rammed from the back. Fortunately I was going at 40 kms and the impact did not cause damage to my chassis. But my back door and the back side panels are badly damaged along with the rear floor. Dealer says that the floor cannot be replaced and even Mahindra feels the same. I am waiting for my body shell replacement approval. Not sure how long that process will take.
Hey SanScorp, do check with the insurance guys if totaling the car is an option. I doubt they would allow that, though.

I think in cases such as these, the fault lies entirely with the trailing car. Did you manage to get some compensation on the spot? I think you should get the approval for the body shell replacement, since the accident is not your fault at all.

How bad is the floor damage? In my case as well, the floor got slightly impacted and had to be spot welded. Look at some of the earlier pictures I posted in this thread and you'll be able to see the affected areas.

I know it must feel terrible to see your car damaged for no fault of yours. But such is life.

Last edited by Samartha : 10th April 2012 at 19:05.
Samartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 01:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

@Samartha, good to see your car back on the road, is the ride or handling any different?
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 02:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle
@Samartha, good to see your car back on the road, is the ride or handling any different?
Thanks a ton! I've driven it a bit and it seems fine. Just that the alignment is slightly communist. I'm gonna get it checked again in a week or so.
Samartha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:10   #64
BHPian

Question What do you think caused this car breakdown?

My Punto MJD met with a not-so-minor accident in February and was resuscitated over a two month period. There was no engine impact or damage.

See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ar-damage.html (Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage) for more details.

About two weeks ago, I was driving to the office and the car stopped right in the middle of the road. I promptly called up Fiat Roadside Assistance and they sent in a crane. The car was towed to the service center (Oberoi NOIDA). At that point, the car had done 14,500 km, so I took it as an opportunity to get it serviced as well.

Oberoi delivered the car to me the next day, but couldn't diagnose the reason for the breakdown. Per them, they checked all the sensors and the car seems to be working fine. They said the car was "due for service", so that may have caused it, but I don't buy that argument.

I've since driven the car some 2000 km (including a 500 km trip) and the car hasn't broken down. However, I'm anxious, since I often travel with family.

My question: Immediately after the accidental repairs, the car had a leakage from the fuel pump. Oberoi put in a used fuel pump to replace the faulty one. Could the breakdown be caused by a faulty fuel line? What other parts could I get investigated?

Last edited by Samartha : 3rd July 2012 at 16:12.
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

How did they start the car after towing it to the service station ?

Car was due for service is all rubbish.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
How did they start the car after towing it to the service station ?

Car was due for service is all rubbish.
They removed the battery, put in a new one, and the car started fine. Later, when they placed the original battery in, the car kept on starting up fine.

Per the mechanic, the car started up fine 20/20 times.
Old 16th July 2012, 10:44   #67
BHPian

Hi,

I think, they removed the battery, not because the battery was faulty, but all the ECUs in the car will get reset, if they disconnect and reconnect the battery.

The critical ECUs like the Engine management system and the Body control module are always powered from battery. They do not switch off with Ignition.

There may be some issue with the Engine ECU, which the road side assistance guys cleverly masked by performing a reset on the Engine ECU by replacing the battery.

Please get the fault codes (DTCs) checked by another service station, these fault codes get registered in the EEPROM (non-erasable memory) of the Engine ECU when ever such critical errors occur. This could give you insight into why the car stopped in middle of the road.

hope this helps..
vidyasagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Hi,

I think, they removed the battery, not because the battery was faulty, but all the ECUs in the car will get reset, if they disconnect and reconnect the battery.

The critical ECUs like the Engine management system and the Body control module are always powered from battery. They do not switch off with Ignition.

There may be some issue with the Engine ECU, which the road side assistance guys cleverly masked by performing a reset on the Engine ECU by replacing the battery.

Please get the fault codes (DTCs) checked by another service station, these fault codes get registered in the EEPROM (non-erasable memory) of the Engine ECU when ever such critical errors occur. This could give you insight into why the car stopped in middle of the road.

hope this helps..
This is very valuable information. I'll definitely get the codes checked at a different service centre.

BTW, is there a chance that the problem with the ECU could recur in the future? Or would the ECU reset have solved the issue once and for all?

What sort of an ECU problem could cause a breakdown?

My apologies for the naive questions.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:25   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samartha View Post
What sort of an ECU problem could cause a breakdown?
I don't have an idea about this. My guesstimate would be some thing wrong in the common rail pump or some kind of sensor failure. Most likely, it should be only a electronics issue, nothing related to mechanicals, else the car would not start 20/20 times later.
vidyasagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 17:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
I don't have an idea about this. My guesstimate would be some thing wrong in the common rail pump or some kind of sensor failure. Most likely, it should be only a electronics issue, nothing related to mechanicals, else the car would not start 20/20 times later.
OK. Is there a chance the same issue could recur in the future (now that the unit has been reset once and for all)?