Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th February 2012, 23:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Steering off center

Its a 5 min job at the A.S.S, remove the steering wheel center cover -> remove the wires used for connecting to the horn -> loosen the nut -> Align the steering -> check the play -> realign(if req) -> fix horn wires -> tighten the nut -> fix the cover back.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:00   #17
BHPian

I got two new tyres installed and wheels aligned and I find my steering wheel is a little off-center(by say 10 degrees) to the right. The car was not pulling to any side, just the steering wheel was off-center.

I took the car back to the shop(360 degree tyres Gachibowli, Hyderabad) and they immediately opened the steering wheel, unscrewed some nut and put in the steering wheel and now the steering wheel was off-center to the left by 10 degrees. They again did it, after driving a km and again it was off-center to the right. This process continued for 4 times and still they were not able to align it.

The mechanic started blaming the slope of the road, driving style, my eyes and what not. I took him to different roads to prove the problem was with the steering being off-center and not the slope of road or my eyes but still he would keep giving reasons till I gave up.
I probably burnt more fuel than what it would cost me aligning elsewhere. Never thought this would be so difficult.

Last edited by saion666 : 17th November 2016 at 10:08.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
I got two new tyres installed and wheels aligned and I find my steering wheel is a little off-center(by say 10 degrees) to the right. The car was not pulling to any side, just the steering wheel was off-center.

I took the car back to the shop(360 degree tyres Gachibowli, Hyderabad) and they immediately opened the steering wheel, unscrewed some nut and put in the steering wheel and now the steering wheel was off-center to the left by 10 degrees. They again did it, after driving a km and again it was off-center to the right. This process continued for 4 times and still they were not able to align it.

The mechanic started blaming the slope of the road, driving style, my eyes and what not. I took him to different roads to prove the problem was with the steering being off-center and not the slope of road or my eyes but still he would keep giving reasons till I gave up.
I probably burnt more fuel than what it would cost me aligning elsewhere. Never thought this would be so difficult.
I would not go for unscrewing the steering wheel and try to align it this way. If your car has alignment marks for the steering wheel, which should be visible after steering wheel is removed, then it should be aligned using those.

Regarding the off-centering, the alignment could not be good. The alignment equipment may not be accurate, particularly the sensors in them that may be crooked.

If that is not the case, it could be due to the new tyres. I could feel the same until the tyres were used and they were worn in as per the camber of your car.

Did you have this issue before the tyre change, and do you feel any play or looseness while using the steering wheel, particularly when taking turns?
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:

If your steering wheel was not off center before getting the tyres changed you should never have let them remove the steering wheel and fix the issue after the tyre change. That was the first mistake done by an alignment guy who did not know anything about alignments.

The right way to do it is to get a 4 wheel alignment done, the technician has to adjust the front tie rod ends (this is where the 'toe' is adjusted). The steering off center issue can be fixed by adjusting the above tie rod ends.

I would highly suggest you goto a professional shop that know what they are doing (or just goto the dealer). Now that the steering wheel has been removed and refit incorrectly, the issue just became more complicated. Good luck.

Last edited by cheap_deal : 17th November 2016 at 11:00.
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 12:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post

Regarding the off-centering, the alignment could not be good. The alignment equipment may not be accurate, particularly the sensors in them that may be crooked.

Did you have this issue before the tyre change, and do you feel any play or looseness while using the steering wheel, particularly when taking turns?
The shop is pretty reputed as a tyre shop here and has some "3D alignment" instrument setup which they keep bragging. However am very skeptical now considering their attitude and expertise. They nearly crashed my car while taking it up on the ramp.
I did not have this issue before the tyre change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
If your steering wheel was not off center before getting the tyres changed you should never have let them remove the steering wheel and fix the issue after the tyre change. That was the first mistake done by an alignment guy who did not know anything about alignments.

The right way to do it is to get a 4 wheel alignment done, the technician has to adjust the front tie rod ends (this is where the 'toe' is adjusted). The steering off center issue can be fixed by adjusting the above tie rod ends.

I would highly suggest you goto a professional shop that know what they are doing (or just goto the dealer). Now that the steering wheel has been removed and refit incorrectly, the issue just became more complicated. Good luck.
I guess I shouldn't have done the alignment done from them. They are the dealer of Yokohama tyres(which I bought from them) and pushed for the '3D alignment'. My yearly service is pending, will ask the Maruti service center to correct it.
Old 17th November 2016, 13:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they immediately opened the steering wheel, unscrewed some nut and put in the steering wheel and now the steering wheel was off-center to the left by 10 degrees. They again did it, after driving a km and again it was off-center to the right. This process continued for 4 times and still they were not able to align it.
Steering wheel shouldn't be touched unless the correction could not be done with Tie-rod. These lazy fellows took the easiest solution but couldn't succeed.

Quote:
The shop is pretty reputed as a tyre shop here and has some "3D alignment" instrument setup which they keep bragging.
From my experience, most of those alignment machines were not calibrated after initial erection. And in many cases the alignment parameters are not as per the OE spec. Try visiting other alignment centre or A.S.S and get it corrected.
Mr.Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Steering wheel shouldn't be touched unless the correction could not be done with Tie-rod. These lazy fellows took the easiest solution but couldn't succeed.

From my experience, most of those alignment machines were not calibrated after initial erection. And in many cases the alignment parameters are not as per the OE spec. Try visiting other alignment centre or A.S.S and get it corrected.
Thanks for the advice. I would surely take it to A.S.S.
Just a question, since the damage is already done, that is the steering opened and put in in various permutation combinations, is it possible to put it back in the original factory fitted position? It's a Maruti A-star and I didn't really see any alignment mark when the steering was opened.

From what I could understand from all the posts above that the rule 101 of alignment is to have the steering in place and then do the alignment which this 360 degree Gachibowli Hyderabad tyreshop messed up by many degrees.

Even for A.S.S i just pray that they don't go the easy way and do a proper alignment as I would not be there to oversee what they are doing in the workshop.

Last edited by saion666 : 17th November 2016 at 13:56.
Old 17th November 2016, 14:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it possible to put it back in the original factory fitted position? It's a Maruti A-star and I didn't really see any alignment mark when the steering was opened.
I hope there should be marking available (Mostly a small punch mark on the steering wheel and the shaft to match the spline) Even if not, A.S.S should be able to do it.
Mr.Boss is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote