Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th February 2012, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: FIAT spare parts issue... WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Atleast in my case, I can drive around my car, provided I adjust with the noise.
Driving around with a faulty wheel-bearing would cause uneven wear on tires.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

I always though Hyundai has the second best A.S.S. after Maruti.
Only in number

Quality of workmanship is quite comparable I feel, after owning a zen and then Indica. As for the cars, zens engine was more refined, but I could never belt it down on pot hole ridden Bangalore roads like I do in my Indica
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 12:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
It can be possibly a one off case as another member from the same FIAT forum had the same issue with his 90hp Punto & in his case, the part was readily available & the car was delivered on the same day with the replaced part.
RAJ - Thats me . Its my car which had the same problem and the bearing was replaced immediately.

I agree there are issues with the car on spares. But Tata/Fiat is not the only company facing this issue. My friends POLO was in the the service centre for more than a month for want of spares. Dealer of Renault (Fluence) informed us, when we went for a Left ORVM, that the company has imported only the cars and the spares are yet to come. We had to wait for nearly a month for the ORVM.

I have already completed 28K kms in my Punto and the car will go for its 3 servicing shortly. I did Pune -Sawantwadi-Pune & Mumbai -Shirdi-Mumbai in this week with a guy owning a Swift and he was through out complaining about the swift and praising the Punto.

Kiran
kiren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 14:35   #34
BHPian

Punto is one of the best hatchbacks available in the country. The availability of parts and inefficient service advisers is an issue but not as bad as it was previously. They are trying to improve. Lets see what they have for us in 2012
Nimish anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 15:16   #35
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: FIAT spare parts issue... WHY?

The problem i face as a FIAT owner is that they tend to leave their loyal customers high and dry.

Its a shame that Punto owners have to wait for weeks for spares but the situation is much worse for the palio.not only do we have to wait for weeks for basic parts they also cost a bomb.Prices have tripled over the past few years.

People point out that the spares are imported now and hence they cost more. but it still doesn't justify the price a small car owner has to pay for them.
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just got a call just now from Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar from Pune. A very nice, well spoken & helpful gentleman who apologized for the delay in procuring the parts. He also informed me that the parts have reached their warehouse & is being sent to Fortune Motors, which according to him will reach by Monday, 27th February.

He also informed me that he will instruct the workshop manager to give me a call as soon as the part reaches the workshop. Fingers crossed.
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:48   #37
BHPian

Oh, this post has really helped to decide on Punto. A year back the TATA-FIAT service was good. My friend's Palio had a fuel tank rupture due to stone hit on Mysore road. It took a week to restore it to a new one, by then the car was run with M-Seal pasted on the tank.

What kind of bearing it is? Need to be imported from Italy? Could have tried an equivalent bearing number from SKF or NBC.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 24th February 2012 at 16:49.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 17:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got a call just now from Mr. Mangesh Kodalkar from Pune. A very nice, well spoken & helpful gentleman who apologized for the delay in procuring the parts. He also informed me that the parts have reached their warehouse & is being sent to Fortune Motors, which according to him will reach by Monday, 27th February.

He also informed me that he will instruct the workshop manager to give me a call as soon as the part reaches the workshop. Fingers crossed.
Good to know this Raj. Hope everything goes right from here. I haven't seen any higher ups of a car manufacturer is approachable.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 22:20   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I guess for the "out of the world" driving experience even FIAT parts are coming from "out of the world"; so the delay. Some habits die hard or don't die at all. I think a FIAT owner in India has to be made of very 'stern' stuff to put up with the vagaries of the service dished up by the FIAT/Tata combine. Keep hoping against hope that some day that FIAT will get it's act together, only God knows when that day will finally come (after all these decades of existence in India).
Your comment is showing just bitterness towards the brand. From your signature I believe you own a Hyundai. What has Hyundai with the 2nd best A.S.S done to solve the irritating Steering vibration and poor AC problem in i20. Maruti guys took 4 days to identify a faulty fuse in my friend's car and they dont honor warranty on top all these. So just cribbing out FIAT will not make others better or vice versa.

All manufactures are similar, some places some manufacturers dealers are better and the others worse.

But calling the fiat cars and their steeds out of the world is uncalled for. Please do not make this thread take a different turn.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 23:08   #40
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
a guy owning a Swift and he was through out complaining about the swift and praising the Punto.Kiran
Are you sure? Then why is the Punto selling in such 'minuscule' numbers? I think you have a different rule book for FIAT and different rule book for Skoda. When Skoda gets bashed Fiat gets a lot of sympathy, why? I feel when it comes to service Skoda and Fiat are on a even keel. If you have to mail Mangesh Kondalkar or Rajeev Kapoor for a ball bearing how do you hope to inspire confidence in the brand. Agreed, there are rotten apples in every basket, but its the ratio of rotten vs good that matters.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 23:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Guys please lets not make this thread another 'Fiat bashing' thread.
Anyone who owns a Fiat knows what it is like owning one, both positives and negatives and I for sure believe that there are more positives than negatives!!

So where were we? Oh yes we do have easy access to Fiat's top officials and believe me they do show sense of ownership and urgency. No one is perfect and so they too!!

Lets wait for next update

Last edited by HammerHead : 24th February 2012 at 23:23.
HammerHead is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 23:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now, I remember one of the posts in another thread by a Fiat user.
"I love hearing negatives about Linea and not finding them in my car....."

I believe we are supposed to discuss about the spares issue faced by some owners. This thread is not meant to discuss about the sales numbers. Some try very hard to convert this thread into a brand bashing thread which is not healthy.
rameshnanda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 08:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

All is well that ends well, now that the parts have arrived its just another week of wait to get things done.

This is not the first time i have seen or heard of FIAT parts shortage or unavailability problem, as mentioned earlier one of my friends Punto was parked in garage for ~a month before the dealer got the necessary parts. Quiet an inconvenience i must add, with bangalore autowallas behaving like decoits.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 08:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have needed lots of spares in the 67000+ km of my Palio MJD, which has had many accidents. My experience has been that, the moment you call up and ask for a Palio spare, the service guys say they don't have it.

So now I walk into a service centre, go straight to spares department and ask. Only then they search in computers and then in shelves.

Although there are KHT, Concorde, Aadya and Prerana service centres here, they never interact with each other. So I go and check who has the spare, and then inform KHT (where my car is always serviced).

And I got my fuel tank from Automatrix Mangalore!

I know it sounds odd, but I see that it is the best way to get spares, if you have patience.

EDIT: I just find out which service centre has the spare and inform KHT. They themselves arrange it to be brought to KHT service centre. I don't have to buy it and deliver it to KHT.

Last edited by rohanjf : 25th February 2012 at 09:11.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 11:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
What kind of bearing it is? Need to be imported from Italy? Could have tried an equivalent bearing number from SKF or NBC.
As said before, if I buy it from outside, I will have to pay for it. My car is in warranty & FIAT will do it FOC for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Good to know this Raj. Hope everything goes right from here. I haven't seen any higher ups of a car manufacturer is approachable.
+10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Are you sure? Then why is the Punto selling in such 'minuscule' numbers?
Lots of reasons for that. We can have a whole thread on that. A.S.S. is one strong point. But when compared to the Swift, I do feel the Punto is a better car. Please note that I am just comparing the cars & not the service standards.

Maruti has much better service standards overall, if we ignore the one off cases.

Quote:
I think you have a different rule book for FIAT and different rule book for Skoda. When Skoda gets bashed Fiat gets a lot of sympathy, why? I feel when it comes to service Skoda and Fiat are on a even keel.
Well to be honest, I feel FIAT/TATA is a trifle better than Skoda. I have not heard any cases of parts getting stolen in FIAT's A.S.S. or customers approaching consumer courts for that.

Quote:
If you have to mail Mangesh Kondalkar or Rajeev Kapoor for a ball bearing how do you hope to inspire confidence in the brand. Agreed, there are rotten apples in every basket, but its the ratio of rotten vs good that matters.
Problems do happen. How the senior officials handle it is important. In case of Skoda, I have read in our very own forum that even after contacting senior officials, it has not been of much help. One particular Skoda official actually came to our forum & threatened us of dire consequences.

Yes, the company should try that we never need to contact the top officials in the first place. The problems should be solved at ground level instead.

All in all, I feel FIAT is a wee bit better than Skoda, but that's a different story altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Anyone who owns a Fiat knows what it is like owning one, both positives and negatives and I for sure believe that there are more positives than negatives!!
+10.

Quote:
So where were we? Oh yes we do have easy access to Fiat's top officials and believe me they do show sense of ownership and urgency. No one is perfect and so they too!!
After this experience, even I would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
So now I walk into a service centre, go straight to spares department and ask. Only then they search in computers and then in shelves.

Although there are KHT, Concorde, Aadya and Prerana service centres here, they never interact with each other. So I go and check who has the spare, and then inform KHT (where my car is always serviced).

And I got my fuel tank from Automatrix Mangalore!
Point is why should we as customers should go through the ordeal of procuring parts? Why cant FIAT make it easier for us?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote