Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2006, 22:14   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 46 Times
Default AC vs climate control

What is the difference between an AC and a climate control. Some cars have climate control whereas others have AC according to their specification. What is the real difference?

EDIT : Nice explanation by Dippy in this post

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2009 at 12:56. Reason: Adding link to explanation
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 22:19   #2
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Climate control = AC + temperature contol

In normal AC you just set the fan speed. So inside the car temp might be 27 degrees, but after running AC for 30 minutes the temperature might fall to 25 degrees after 30 minutes might fall to 23 degrees.... and so on.

But in climate control, you dont set fanspeed, instead you just set temperature to say 24degrees, the system will automatically adjusts the fanspeed and the mode to maintain 24 degress thru' out your journey.
venkatrx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2006, 23:16   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,625
Thanked: 1,627 Times
Default discussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
What is the difference between an AC and a climate control. Some cars have climate control whereas others have AC according to their specification. What is the real difference?
all your queries have been discussed in detail already.
make some effort to use the Search function. it works....
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 07:08   #4
BHPian
 
msprabhakar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 264
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
What is the difference between an AC and a climate control. Some cars have climate control whereas others have AC according to their specification. What is the real difference?
AC controls only the air, whereas CC takes charge of the entire climate. For example, in CC, you adjust settings to 'tropical', 'arctic', 'desert', 'Amazon rainforest', etc. When your CC-equipped car gets flooded or leaks water, check your CC if it has accidentally been set to '26/7'...
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 17:03   #5
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: 3 Times
Default this might seem like a really stupid Q

I know what climate control is
basically you set the temp desired and bingo like in the e-class
when we say climate contol on the baleno or swift etc etc do we mean the same thing or do we mean that knob with the red and blue lines which you turn - sort of like a primitive cc ?
any one have pics of the cc in the indian cars ? which ones have them ?

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 20th June 2006 at 17:05.
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 18:18   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

The concept is the same in cheaper cars too .. you can set the temp and bingo ! However an E would surely have lots more sensors gathering inputs on the temp in all corners of the cabin .. whereas cheaper cars would have less ..
Cars that come to mind ..
Octys - all models ?
Optra - top 1.8 model
Baleno VXi
Swift ZXi
...
and then probably most D segment cars and above ...
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 21:23   #7
BHPian
 
diven_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
The concept is the same in cheaper cars too .. you can set the temp and bingo ! However an E would surely have lots more sensors gathering inputs on the temp in all corners of the cabin .. whereas cheaper cars would have less ..
Cars that come to mind ..
Octys - all models ?
Optra - top 1.8 model
Baleno VXi
Swift ZXi
...
and then probably most D segment cars and above ...
well,there is always an auto option too,even i cheaper cars,just press AUTO and bingo!!!
in octys only in elegance,l&k & rs..not rider....dosent aveo also have it?:
diven_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 09:20   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Climate control = AC + temperature contol

In normal AC you just set the fan speed.
Normal AC systems also have a temperature control (that blue-red knob), but its not that effective and useful. I am seriously thinking of a modification to improve it by having some kind of control on the heater part. It is being discussed in following thread, and I am waiting for precious expert comments on it :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...eater-off.html (Why can't we shut the heater off?)
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 15:27   #9
BHPian
 
ksethuram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai , London (now)
Posts: 233
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe
I know what climate control is
basically you set the temp desired and bingo like in the e-class
when we say climate contol on the baleno or swift etc etc do we mean the same thing or do we mean that knob with the red and blue lines which you turn - sort of like a primitive cc ?
any one have pics of the cc in the indian cars ? which ones have them ?
The Pic of CC in Swift can be viewed here
http://www.marutiswift.com/html/FeaturesAutoTemp.asp
ksethuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:08   #10
BHPian
 
whatcanthisbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: http://www.wandering-online.com
Posts: 501
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
The Pic of CC in Swift can be viewed here
http://www.marutiswift.com/html/FeaturesAutoTemp.asp
thanks


Any one have a big real pic of this ?
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

NOrmal AC works by mixing outside air with cold air? Or it varies the thermostat? Enlighten pls
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 19:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
NOrmal AC works by mixing outside air with cold air? Or it varies the thermostat? Enlighten pls
I think it depends on the mode you have set the AC to - recirculate or fresh. If it is "recirculate", then it is only the air inside that is used and cooling is faster in this mode. If it is set to "fresh" mode, air is taken from outside (which is at higher temperature) and cooling is less efficient. It is recommended to normally use "recirculate" mode with "fresh" being used only occasionally when the air inside becomes stale.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 22:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I think it depends on the mode you have set the AC to - recirculate or fresh. If it is "recirculate", then it is only the air inside that is used and cooling is faster in this mode. If it is set to "fresh" mode, air is taken from outside (which is at higher temperature) and cooling is less efficient. It is recommended to normally use "recirculate" mode with "fresh" being used only occasionally when the air inside becomes stale.
So do you mean taht UNLESS its in fresh mode, I wont get new air? And that the knob ( taht moved left and right to adjust temp) is a thermostat controller?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 22:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
So do you mean taht UNLESS its in fresh mode, I wont get new air? And that the knob ( taht moved left and right to adjust temp) is a thermostat controller?
Yep, you won't get new air in reciculate mode.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
So do you mean taht UNLESS its in fresh mode, I wont get new air?
Yes - the air inside the car keeps getting circulated. If you need fresh air, switch to "recirculatory" mode. But then cooling efficiency goes down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
And that the knob (taht moved left and right to adjust temp) is a thermostat controller?
It allows to set the temperature inside the cabin (a crude version of the Climate Control feature) and I would assume that it is linked to the thermostat to cut off the AC when the set temp. is reached.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After-market climate control system? tsk1979 Modifications & Accessories 52 1st June 2013 20:33
Be a hero and Save the Climate at UN Climate Summit in Copenhagen December 19th serpente Shifting gears 0 27th November 2009 20:49
Climate Control Unit for the Verna CRDi tallkat Modifications & Accessories 12 17th August 2007 11:01
Swift ZXI Climate Control not working at 18C skiddyrow Technical Stuff 10 18th January 2007 14:56
Climate control Baleno VXi ! shuvc Sedans 30 23rd January 2006 15:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks