Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 20:11   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 2 Times
Default '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Hi

I own a 2006 model esteem vxi with odo 42000 kms. On regular service the mechanic noticed timing pulley wobble and slightly touch the cover.
He changed the pulley but still the problem recurs.

The mechanic claims it may be due to crankshaft bent and it will not cause any problem. since i bought this car as used, i don't know the exact reason for the crankshaft bent. Apart from wobble, everything is normal.

Now my question is how big the problem is? Will it lead to any big engine problem? Can we change the crackshaft without dismantle the engine?

please advice me
dvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 22:18   #2
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Advice need on crankshaft bent - esteem 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvinod View Post
Hi

I own a 2006 model esteem vxi with odo 42000 kms. On regular service the mechanic noticed timing pulley wobble and slightly touch the cover.
He changed the pulley but still the problem recurs.

The mechanic claims it may be due to crankshaft bent and it will not cause any problem. since i bought this car as used, i don't know the exact reason for the crankshaft bent. Apart from wobble, everything is normal.

Now my question is how big the problem is? Will it lead to any big engine problem? Can we change the crackshaft without dismantle the engine?

please advice me
Bent Crank shaft at 42k is overkill, Maybe the car has a history with the 1st owner. I think you would not be able to change the crank shaft without opening up the engine , this is mainly bottom end work but aligning the pistons would have to be done from the top. This is indeed a lot of work. I may be wrong but this is from my experiences. a little wobble is fine , you can add shims to the cover or a thick gasket to give a little minute clearance, if that would help.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 13:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,631
Thanked: 10,887 Times
Default Re: Advice need on crankshaft bent - esteem 2006

Highly unlikely that you can bend a crankshaft and still have the engine running fine. At the very least you'd have leaking crankshaft oil seals. I would say the pulley itself (maybe not, since you changed to a new one and checked), or its mounting points/face, has been warped / damaged in some way.

A bent crank is usually due to something major that happened, wherein pistons / conrods have popped out from the engine! Your mechanic can tell if the engine is factory-assembled, or has been opened outside later on. The only way you can confirm a bent crankshaft is by dismantling the engine and running the crankshaft on a lathe to check for runout.

If the wobbling pulley is not eating up your drive belt(s) too quickly, let the wobble be.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 06:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvinod View Post
I own a 2006 model esteem vxi with odo 42000 kms. On regular service the mechanic noticed timing pulley wobble and slightly touch the cover.
Hi,
Very unlikely you have a bent crank.

Would suggest you check out whether the pulley itself is true or not at a machine shop.

Also check the front of the crank for signs of mishandling. Like burrs or toolmarks which is preventing the pulley from fitting properly.

If car is running without problems, don't worry too much over it.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 16:18   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 263
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Very unlikely you have a bent crank.

Would suggest you check out whether the pulley itself is true or not at a machine shop.

Also check the front of the crank for signs of mishandling. Like burrs or toolmarks which is preventing the pulley from fitting properly.

If car is running without problems, don't worry too much over it.

Regards
Sutripta
Hi,

I have a 2005 model Esteem. My car was throwing engine oil light for quite some time. Consulted M.A.S.S and they advised to change the oil pump. I gave the car to M.A.S.S for oil pump change and they also changed timing belt. The car was returned the next day but the oil pump light was still on. To this the SA replied that there is play in the crank he has checked it by opening up the bottom portion and I need to rebuild the engine. I took the car back there was indeed noise of crankshaft and it comes up only after the engine is warmed up. Now just a week after getting the work dine by M.A.S.S the timing pulley gave away. The one which is inside the cover and the car broke down. Took it to an F.N.G who fixed the pulley and said the slot to lock the pulley had widened so I have used a bigger lock and the car should not give any problems now. Took the car to M.A.S.S to check the timing as FNG did not have a timing gun. And also complained about the incident to which the SA again replied because there is play in the crankshaft thats why it happened and it's not their fault and I should get the engine rebuilt. So now the question is do I really need to rebuild the engine. The car is not loosi g oil and is giving me exeptional mileage. It's just the timing pulley has some play and making little noise but it is not eating the belt.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 16:58   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Attaching herewith a 4 cylinder crankshaft image (it is not of esteem). Connecting roads to be connected on the places shown with green arrow.

May anyone tell the how this will get bent? Crank shaft is not a straight road. In multi cylinder engines it is to be made as shown in image.
Attached Thumbnails
'06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?-crank.png  

(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 17:02   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 263
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Attaching herewith a 4 cylinder crankshaft image (it is not of esteem). Connecting roads to be connected on the places shown with green arrow.

May anyone tell the how this will get bent? Crank shaft is not a straight road. In multi cylinder engines it is to be made as shown in image.
Hi Alok,

If you are referring to my post in my case it is not bent, but as per M.A.S.S. it has play in it and makes a noise when the engine is warmed up.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 19:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Now just a week after getting the work dine by M.A.S.S the timing pulley gave away. The one which is inside the cover and the car broke down. Took it to an F.N.G who fixed the pulley and said the slot to lock the pulley had widened so I have used a bigger lock and the car should not give any problems now.
nIk
Lots of questions. How did the pulley give way? How was it fixed?

Pulley should not be loose/ make a noise. The key slot in both the pulley and the crank will get damaged. Pulley is cheap, crank is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
May anyone tell the how this will get bent?
A bent crank means centreline not true.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 20:03   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 263
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Lots of questions. How did the pulley give way? How was it fixed?

Pulley should not be loose/ make a noise. The key slot in both the pulley and the crank will get damaged.

Regards
Sutripta
The key which locks the pulley developed some issue. This was just after few KMs after MASS had changed the timing belt. So I suspect they didn't lock it probably.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 20:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

^^^
And what did the FNG do?
Any pictures?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 21:01   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 263
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
And what did the FNG do?
Any pictures?

Regards
Sutripta
I do not have the pictures. He opened up the timing case took the pulley and key out and replaced it with an new one and installed a new belt.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 21:43   #12
BHPian
 
Mr.ASG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KL-31
Posts: 32
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

The replacement of Oil pump is unnecessary & I highly doubt the possibility of a crank shaft bend, Crank shaft is well supported using main bearings in engine block. However worn out main bearing can cause oil pressure warning lights to light up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi,
So now the question is do I really need to rebuild the engine. nIk
Unless engine is not burning any oil that won't be necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post

Took it to an F.N.G who fixed the pulley and said the slot to lock the pulley had widened so I have used a bigger lock and the car should not give any problems now.

nIk
If the sound is due to pulley not being locked properly, this will help. Yet I have doubts about the oil pressure warning light.
Mr.ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 21:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I do not have the pictures. He opened up the timing case took the pulley and key out and replaced it with an new one and installed a new belt.

nIk
'It' = key, pulley, or both?

I have a feeling that the key slot has become wedge shaped, and if so, will continue to get worse.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 22:12   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 263
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
'It' = key, pulley, or both?

I have a feeling that the key slot has become wedge shaped, and if so, will continue to get worse.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes both. And yes about the slot. He said that he had to use some oversized key. What is the solution now?

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 21:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,072 Times
Default Re: '06 Esteem - Crankshaft bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
What is the solution now?
New crank
Remachining slot in old crank
Juggad and prayer.

An intelligent juggad approach would be my first approach.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crankshaft problem rishirich27 Technical Stuff 32 11th December 2017 10:07
Hyundai Santro Xing - Crankshaft & engine repair/ failure-only 26000 Kms & 2 1/2years Murugan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 85 22nd April 2017 06:51
Esteem apron bent Hashim Technical Stuff 40 26th October 2012 20:22
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI Crankshaft pulley (Damper Pulley) Born 2 Be Wild Technical Stuff 12 24th February 2012 17:13
Bent alloys drifter Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 16 22nd September 2004 00:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks