Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th April 2012, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ -- Body repair issues/complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
They seemed like scratches from a small tool, maybe even a screwdriver. We were told that the paint job would take care of them.

But yesterday, when I noticed that the scratches had not been attended to, I asked around, and was told that the only way they can be repaired is to do a full repaint of the two doors.
I was horrified to learn of the cost, given the fact that this damage took place at the workshop itself. But I was even more puzzled to know that for a small paint touch up the whole door will have to be repainted. It seems stupidly excessive to me, but I suppose this is how workshops and companies like General Motors make a lot of money.
This normally happens at authorized bodyshops. They 'claim' to give world-class service but are not up to the mark. And this is noticed only by 'Keen eyed' people like us with an automotive bend.
Cost of refinishing a Cruze door should not be more than 3000. The reason for high cost at dealer end is ther pricing strategy.
I cannot make out the scratches clearly but why don't you visit a reputed private bodyshop in your town?
People have this general mentality of not taking a New or costly car to private workshops but let me tell you that the dealers are afterall private workshops authorized by the Manufacturer to work for them! And most of them DO NOT work as per the company standards.
Better locate a private bodyshop and get another view.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 20:22   #17
BHPian

Unfortunately here are no professional body shops in Kanpur. The "best" shops are these authorized service stations, and they all function in more or less the same way. So, I really do not know where to take the car if I have to get anything done outside an authorized service station. I have spoken to a few professional non-GM mechanics and I doubt their ability to maintain a car such as Cruze. Given the 'jugaad' mentality that prevails here, it is hard to even keep a car in good condition when it is being maintained by the authorized mechanics!

Regarding body work, I am not sure how unauthorized workshops would source company branded paint. I have a good mind to ask the workshop not to wash the car next time, or apply any of their polish or chemicals on it, as they tend to scratch the car more and more each time.

I don't know if companies such as GM read such threads, but I hope they realize that their 'values' and work professionalism do not get reflected in the manner in which their workshops function across the country. When your car stays in the workshop for 2.5 weeks and you visit the workshop to take delivery only to find scratches, or deposits from something or the other flying around, then no amount of big company talk can sweep the unprofessionalism under the rug.

Anyway, is it really that difficult to do a touch up on this, using Aeroaids or something similar? The scratch can't be felt with a finger..it can't possibly be that expensive to repair, right?

Does anyone think that a scratch remover such as Quixx would work? I have already tried Scratch X and Formula 1 Scratch Out...they do not work. And I do not have a DA so I don't want to try the Ultimate Compound -- it is said that it is best applied with a machine.
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Cost of refinishing a Cruze door should not be more than 3000.
Quote:
Unfortunately here are no professional body shops in Kanpur
@Darthvader: Really appalling instances of service to your Cruze. I had a dent on passenger side door a couple of months ago, and the whole door was painted, dent-removal etc. for exactly Rs 3000/- but I didnt do it in the GM authorised shop, as they would have kept the car for 3-4 days and somehow I dont trust keeping the new car inside any garage(reputed or otherwise) for more than a day.
My suggestion: Try non-authorised but a fairly decent workshop in Kanpur, or maybe try in Delhi.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
I didnt do it in the GM authorised shop, as they would have kept the car for 3-4 days and somehow
I believe certain good Private bodyshops have an edge over the authorized ones. You get personal attention and priority.
Hope the colour matching is OK. Did they have a booth? And can i know what company paint was used?
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 14:55   #20
BHPian

That is what I am curious about as well. Is GM paint readily available to these private body shops?

Unfortunately, there really are no such workshops in Kanpur. I have gone to the far reaches of the city to find out if there are any competent or even semi professional body experts who can work on black cars (or even deep shades).
Old 26th April 2012, 15:29   #21
BHPian

To the moderators: 20 minutes had gone past since my last post, and I couldn't edit it, hence the new message. Apologies in advance if any rules have been broken. Please integrate this with my previous message if you feel it is appropriate to do do.

By the way, after some mild scratches were observed a month or so back on taking out the cover, I stopped using the cover entirely and now depend on the Jopasu duster to keep the car clean. But there are times when people come to our house when it is not possible to guard the car carefully enough. People suggested a Dupont car cover, but none is available for the Cruze. Do you use the stock cover provided by the showroom at the time of purchase, or something else? I have a silvertech car cover but it a skin fit cover which I am hesitant to use after all the minor scratches I noticed were attributed to the car cover by other BHPians.
Old 28th April 2012, 10:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
That is what I am curious about as well. Is GM paint readily available to these private body shops?
GM is not into manufacturing paints. As far as paint quality & shade is concerned, any reputed brand will do. Even using a solvent based paint compared to water based paint (on the rest of the car) will not make any difference.

Quote:
I have a silvertech car cover but it a skin fit cover which I am hesitant to use after all the minor scratches I noticed were attributed to the car cover by other BHPians.
I would suggest you to get a customer cover stitched from a soft cotton cloth and top-over it with your silvertech. It would be a hassle but worth it.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote