Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st March 2012, 14:10   #31
BHPian

Default re: Mysterious optra magnum engine problem - 12k km

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Guess it is the Fuel Filter and not the Air Filter that he is talking about.
My full and complete OOPS!!
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 14:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Someone had mentioned water entering the pump / fuel lines etc. I doubt that as it would have caused a more repeatable issue, at all times. Still, check the user manual of the Optra - it has an option to get the water out, and also to bleed the fuel pump if required.
Diesel is hydrophilic in nature.. Its capable of absorbing water. I dont know if petrol bunks use water as adultrant though. Water in diesel can corrode pump, fuel lines, and cylinder innards. A good diesel filter with water separator is extremely important. Check and release the water often.
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 14:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Makes me strongly suspect the fuel pump.

Sorry if I missed it, but have checked it? If not, please do.
Told the technician about this. He said faulty fuel pumps would generate an error code on scan, which it didn't. Pallika was a no go today thanks to office. Though I did call triumph motors again. Told them they should ride along the next morning.

Waiting for a call back. Next I'll start sending emails and or registered posts to Chevrolet.
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:32   #34
BHPian

Default Re: Mysterious optra magnum engine problem - 12k km

Quick update.

Wrote to GM's corporate folk (big thanks to Poitive for directing me to the contact co-ords). They called me within 12 hours, confirmed my car reg. number, told me they'd contact their zonal manager.

2 hours later, Triumph motors called, took my address and said their technician would come over the next morning for a ride along. The problem's occurring on a daily basis, so as of now I'm quite sure it'll happen again.

Will keep you guys posted about any further developments.

PS: I sent a link to this t-bhp thread in my email to GM's guys. They said they went through the entire thread and understood the symptoms. Good stuff team!
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:55   #35
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Mysterious optra magnum engine problem - 12k km

We had a similar problem in our Optra Magnum(done 50K kms), on occasions the car behavior was like it did not have any turbo it would just not accelerate. The problem would disappear as soon as I switch off the car and start it again. When the problem started it would occur when the car was started first time in the day but later the frequency increased and one day the car refused to start.

The culprit is faulty fuel pump which costs 23K(full assembly you won't be able to find the motor separately), after the pump replacement the car has been running fine. Unfortunately our warranty had expired so we had to pay for the new pump, if your car is under warranty better get it replaced ASAP.
surbhit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 16:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
We had a similar problem in our Optra Magnum(done 50K kms), on occasions the car behavior was like it did not have any turbo it would just not accelerate. The problem would disappear as soon as I switch off the car and start it again. When the problem started it would occur when the car was started first time in the day but later the frequency increased and one day the car refused to start.

The culprit is faulty fuel pump which costs 23K(full assembly you won't be able to find the motor separately), after the pump replacement the car has been running fine. Unfortunately our warranty had expired so we had to pay for the new pump, if your car is under warranty better get it replaced ASAP.
Big update here. So after my communication with GM's head office, Triumph motors kindly agreed to send over an experienced technician to ride along with my father and driver to office (with me following in my trusty Palio MJD). So guess what, the problem doesn't occur at all.

I mean, I've heard of Murphy's Law and all that sort of thing, but to actually experience it is painstaking to say the least. I mean, imagine that! The problem has been occurring each and every day, at the same place, at the same time, through the same route, for over two weeks, and the day they decide to send someone to see it, nothing happens.

Anyway, they drove the car back to the service center. Kept us posted through the process this time, still no error codes. The only interesting thing is, based on my driver's inputs, the car does not roll freely even in neutral during the problems occurrence. What they essentially derived from this was that since the engine wasn't malfunctioning in any way, even when the problem was happening, was that it wasn't a problem with the engine! The funny thing is, my driver said the 'tires were becoming really hot after the drive' on the mornings when the problem happened.

The technician was led to believe that this meant that the brakes were the cause for this problem. The brakes were bled, and the pins adjusted, and the car was returned to us.

I did post a few questions relating to certain aspects brought up by you guys, only to receive able answers from the staff at GM.
  • Fuel pump problem? - Problem wouldn't have the same symptoms, i.e., braking in neutral, engine idling normally, revving normally in neutral, etc.
  • Dirt/lint on the fuel filter? - Problem wouldn't be intermittent and so regular. I have to agree on this part. Whatever was stuck on the fuel filter would cause a problem all the time right, the engine might even misfire and stall. None of that in our case.
  • Electronics, sensors, ECU, etc. - No error codes whatsoever.
I distinctly remember ssingri posting about brakes and how they were heating up and causing problems. I think this is what it could be. See his super concise one liner response here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2696095 (Mysterious Optra Magnum engine problem - 12k km)

Anyway, we are to see if the problem re-surfaces and then contact them again. No worries, we've got numbers of all their heads now, thanks to team-bhp and it's wonderful members of course. I thank you all again for being so supportive through this.

As usual, will keep the thread updated with details as they are made available to me.

Last edited by ByDesign : 3rd March 2012 at 16:57.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:07   #37
BHPian

This thing happens with me too. The problem disappears when its being checked by the technicians. Notably the rattles & squeaks. And i say to myself that, "doctor ko dekhte hi mareez theek ho gaya.."
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbhit View Post
The culprit is faulty fuel pump which costs 23K(full assembly you won't be able to find the motor separately), after the pump replacement the car has been running fine.
Based on reports on the forum, many Optra's of 2007-2008 had fuel pump failures. Reports are spread around various threads and one specifically reporting this issue:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2280150 (Gm/Chervolet Optra Magnum Diesel Pump Failure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
The only interesting thing is, based on my driver's inputs, the car does not roll freely even in neutral during the problems occurrence. What they essentially derived from this was that since the engine wasn't malfunctioning in any way, even when the problem was happening, was that it wasn't a problem with the engine! The funny thing is, my driver said the 'tires were becoming really hot after the drive' on the mornings when the problem happened.
Both the rolling of the car not being normal and the tyres heating up point to the brakes. All the best mate. Do keep us posted.

Though unlikely to be related, the older Cruzes have had some problems with the brake calipers (reported on Mobike's thread or the Official review). Wonder if there could be a link. Unlikely though, as the Optra has been around far too long now.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 11:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Based on reports on the forum, many Optra's of 2007-2008 had fuel pump failures. Reports are spread around various threads and one specifically reporting this issue:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2280150 (Gm/Chervolet Optra Magnum Diesel Pump Failure)

Both the rolling of the car not being normal and the tyres heating up point to the brakes. All the best mate. Do keep us posted.

Though unlikely to be related, the older Cruzes have had some problems with the brake calipers (reported on Mobike's thread or the Official review). Wonder if there could be a link. Unlikely though, as the Optra has been around far too long now.
Just a quick follow up post. The problem did not occur today.

I had a quick drive in the car last night too, and the brakes have become a bit loose. The brakes in this car have always been super responsive, and they are now too. It's just that they are now light to the touch.

Sent a thank you email back to Chevvy/GM for their good support through this. Needless to say, if the problem resurfaces, we will contact the necessary people. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by ByDesign : 5th March 2012 at 11:32.
Old 5th March 2012, 13:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick follow up post. The problem did not occur today.

I had a quick drive in the car last night too, and the brakes have become a bit loose. The brakes in this car have always been super responsive, and they are now too. It's just that they are now light to the touch.

Sent a thank you email back to Chevvy/GM for their good support through this. Needless to say, if the problem resurfaces, we will contact the necessary people. Thanks everyone!
Afterall it looks like it was a problem with the brakes. I had an earlier experience on the fuel pump problem. In that case the vehicle just got off and refused to start after that. I then waited about 40 minutes for the breakdown assistance team. Then when they started, the car was on at the first crank. However at the service center after they connected the car to some computer said that the fuel pump was faulty and needs replacement. I got mine changed under warranty and no problems since then.
manojgautham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 16:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
It's just that they are now light to the touch
Writing from the phone.

The brake system (pads etc) would have had unnecessary wear die to this problem. Seems you would have been running with, as if, the brakes partially applied before.

Not a bad idea to write to GM to bear (atleast a part of) the cost brakes' maintenance, when it comes up.

PS: Thanks for the update
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 00:15   #42
BHPian

Time to resurrect the dead, and by dead I mean thread! The problem came back with a bang! We started facing the same problem on a daily basis on the morning drive (only) to work.

Again emails flew back and forth. GM promised support. Long story short, we deposited the car with Triumph Motors. They've now decided (based on a road test apparently), that the master brake cylinder and booster needs replacement cause it's faulty.

I did try and make my point clear to the kind folks at Triumph that I wanted a permanent solution to this, and not have to run back and forth every week with problems and that too on a car that's under a year old!

Anyway. Moving on. The parts going to be ordered on Monday on priority basis. Let's see what comes of that. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
I got mine changed under warranty and no problems since then.
In our case too, I made sure that whatever cylinder/booster/parts are changed will be done under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Writing from the phone.

The brake system (pads etc) would have had unnecessary wear die to this problem. Seems you would have been running with, as if, the brakes partially applied before.

Not a bad idea to write to GM to bear (atleast a part of) the cost brakes' maintenance, when it comes up.

PS: Thanks for the update
You're welcome. And I suppose I'll take up this point with them soon regarding the brake pads wearing out. I really hope the brake cylinders the cause for this and we have trouble free motoring after all this.
Old 31st March 2012, 14:16   #43
BHPian

***UPDATE***

Got the car back 3 days ago. Master brake cylinder and brake booster were replaced under warranty. Triumph motors has been helpful throughout, and their service was professional.

So at least for the past 3 days, the car hasn't shown any problems. If anyone's in the know regarding brake boosters or brake cylinders, kindly share it with us all.

We didn't spend a rupee for any of this, only time. Triumph motors has also been good with follow up emails and keeping me informed on what's been going on when my car was with them. Moreover, the replaced part details, issue date, part number etc. is fully provided in the invoice given to us after service.

Thanks all!
Old 31st March 2012, 18:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful to know the service centre has gone to such lengths over a mysterious problem. I am no expert, but the master brake cylinder is a cylinder that holds the brake fluid/oil. It's kind of like a reservoir. There's also a slave cylinder (probably as a backup, but I am not certain). The booster is probably to give an added force to the braking, just like a power steering makes it easy on your arms, the booster should make it easy on your legs.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 19:28   #45
BHPian

Finally it struck me too, the fuel pump issue, the car has clocked around 71k km. Today morning the car would not start , but the battery seemed ok. I called in the roadside assistance, they removed the fuel supply pipe and when started the car could see that it was not supplying fuel to the engine. The mech removed the fuel pump and after cleaning connector coupler and stuff, finally the car started. But he says the fuel pump is faulty and would need a replacement. He said it will resurface again in another 50 Kms and that would be sign for the part needing replacement and if I am lucky then this quick solution may last little longer. Now I could relate to an earlier problem (approx a month back) when the car felt as if there is no Turbo after driving around 400 km while on my way to Tvm from BLR. And indeed I saw the blue sticker (you know how infamous it is if you go through the forum) on the fuel pump and felt . The car is not in warranty and it is going to make my wallet lighter by 1/4 lac :(
shinuak is offline   Reply With Quote