Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th March 2012, 16:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kaput Skoda : Brand new Laura AC & Electronics issues

Just this morning i met with one of my former colleagues who works in the same IT park. When probed about his 6 months old Laura he mentioned that the AC conked off this weekend and its at Service Center for repairs since monday, and now this thread. I mentioned this to him and he is very keenly watching how this incident unfolds.

There have been far too many incidents like these to erode decent amount of confidence (at least for me). Not sure what is happening at Skoda, they are getting from bad to worse, not sure when will they get similar or close reliability as the Japanese.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th March 2012 at 16:30.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 17:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Skoda ACs are notorious for not cooling properly or even breaking down. But there is no excuse for a brand new car to behave this way. Am surprised Skoda is not taking them seriously. Suggest you escalate through all means available at your disposal.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 19:19   #18
BHPian

Ouch. That hurts a lot. Another horror story from SKODA. Reminded me of a joke in jokes section: "You don't have jokes on Skoda. Skoda itself is a joke". Sorry, no offence to Skoda owners but this situation is totally unacceptable. @Racer_X. Escalate the issue without delay & keep records for future reference. Hope you have happy ending to the story. Keep us updated.
nawalsingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 20:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Racer-X and Urajkumar - I hppe things get sorted out for you guys.

Much as I love driving the Skoda Laura (my cousin has one and I nearly bought one) and find it exciting compared to my comparatively insipid but reliable Jap car, after having read through these horror stories - I liken owning a Skoda to saccharine, tastes sweet in the beginning but leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 20:57   #20
BHPian

Asset Auto is taking you for a ride, id suggest you to drop in a complain on Skoda Indias official facebook page and see what they do. If Asset Auto still shows this attitude give it to another dealer to get it checked as A.S.S also depends dealer to dealer.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 00:51   #21
BHPian

I think the problem with Skoda is not the issues, these can happen with any car maker but the response.

The way their dealers and even HQ responds appears to be a management problem more than an individual dealer thing. There seems to be a consistent degree of arrogance and reluctance to take responsibility for the problems customers face, that's a confidence killer.

Last edited by raul : 7th March 2012 at 00:52.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 14:05   #22
BHPian

Update : The Skoda Asset Technical Team (duuuh!!), has diagnosed that while the car was sent for putting on the Sun Film on the wind shield the water/solution dripped through the vents in the dash on to the AC componets (not sure which) and the ECU causing the AC to conk off and the warning lights to flash. They have given an estimate of 15k for the repairs.

My father in law (Old School Mech. Engg.), who has a Yeti Elegance (thankfully no issues till date ) was at the Asset Auto office to meet Mr.Joel who is the Manager to talk about the issue. He also happens to know Abhijeet Nimbalkar who is the Area Manager for Skoda who keeps a tab on the dealers (duuuh!! again!!). My FIL is a Engineer and an enthusiast called up Nimbalkar from Joel's office and told him the issue and the estimate given by Asset.

FIL : Mr. Nimbalkar (N) we have a issue with a brand new Laura which we purchased from Asset. The issue was explained to him.

N : Yes things can go wrong due to faulty method of Sun Film fitting.

FIL : Does Skoda have Quality checks before a vehile is fit for delivery

N : Offcourse!! We at Skoda follow all the european norms as far as the Quaity of our cars is concerned. We have the best ratings for all that.

FIL : Hmm.. Is there a norm for Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water.

N : umm.. Obviously we have.. (Not confident & Total loss of words!!)

FIL : Let me tell you since you have accepted that you have all these norms and ratings in place there is a IP Code 67 in the norms for Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water. So tell me am I not supposed to clean the glass with water from inside feeling scared that I will damage the AC or ECU of my car. We have bought a 18 lac car.

N : hmm.. Sorry sir we.. (No words!!)

FIL : Since you are unaware of the norms and quality checks, request you to check this and give us a sensible and logical answer for the issue in hand. We will not be paying a dime and it would not be nice for us to get into a legal tussle. I have lot of friends who are eager to buy Skoda cars, do you want me to give a really honest feedback about the pathetic service and looting happening to unaware customers??

N : Sorry sir please don's do that. Sir don't worry we will fix this and you wont be required to pay anything. I apologise on behalf of Skoda for this mess. It is always nice to interact with a learned person like you who understands machines. Please pass the phone to Joel.

Joel (after the call) : We will reasses the issue and call you back as soon as possible. Skoda will absorb all the cost under warranty.

FIL : All that you have to do in any case. When do we get the car?? I want it home delivered.

Joel : We will call up once the car is fixed. Give us 2 days to complete the repairs.

FIL : Thank you. Appreciate your care for customers.

FYI - The IP CODE 67 covers the following areas for Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water.

Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  41.9 KB

EDIT : Replacing with simplified table.

Last edited by Racer_X : 7th March 2012 at 14:25.
Racer_X is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 14:59   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Update : The Skoda Asset Technical Team (duuuh!!), has diagnosed that while the car was sent for putting on the Sun Film on the wind shield the water/solution dripped through the vents in the dash on to the AC componets (not sure which) and the ECU causing the AC to conk off and the warning lights to flash. They have given an estimate of 15k for the repairs.
But warning lights came before sun film also right?

Quote:
He went to Kolhapur the next day and while returning suddenly all the warning lights started flashing. He stopped and turned off the ignition and called me. I told him to contact the Skoda Helpline but since there was network issue he could not get through. I told him restart the car and see if the flashing happens again. It did not happen and he could get back to Pune without any issue. Since it was a Sunday the Skoda workshop was closed, so could not get in touch with them. Sunday evening his driver had gone to get the Sun Films fitted and while coming back, again the flashing started and the AC conked off and no cooling was happening.
Did he explain this bit?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Update :

FIL : Mr. Nimbalkar (N) we have a issue with a brand new Laura which we purchased from Asset. The issue was explained to him.

N : Yes things can go wrong due to faulty method of Sun Film fitting.

FIL : Does Skoda have Quality checks before a vehile is fit for delivery

N : Offcourse!! We at Skoda follow all the european norms as far as the Quaity of our cars is concerned. We have the best ratings for all that.

FIL : Hmm.. Is there a norm for Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water.

N : umm.. Obviously we have.. (Not confident & Total loss of words!!)

FIL : Let me tell you since you have accepted that you have all these norms and ratings in place there is a IP Code 67 in the norms for Protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water. So tell me am I not supposed to clean the glass with water from inside feeling scared that I will damage the AC or ECU of my car. We have bought a 18 lac car.

N : hmm.. Sorry sir we.. (No words!!)

FIL : Since you are unaware of the norms and quality checks, request you to check this and give us a sensible and logical answer for the issue in hand. We will not be paying a dime and it would not be nice for us to get into a legal tussle. I have lot of friends who are eager to buy Skoda cars, do you want me to give a really honest feedback about the pathetic service and looting happening to unaware customers??

N : Sorry sir please don's do that. Sir don't worry we will fix this and you wont be required to pay anything. I apologise on behalf of Skoda for this mess. It is always nice to interact with a learned person like you who understands machines. Please pass the phone to Joel.

Joel (after the call) : We will reasses the issue and call you back as soon as possible. Skoda will absorb all the cost under warranty.

FIL : All that you have to do in any case. When do we get the car?? I want it home delivered.

Joel : We will call up once the car is fixed. Give us 2 days to complete the repairs.

FIL : Thank you. Appreciate your care for customers.

That was one heck of a conversation.
I bet if there was someone else in your place who wouldn't be aware of these norms, skoda would have made them cough up the entire amount.

Isn't this a fraud ?

Anyway, keen to see how skoda gets this done. For once out of fear !

Last edited by seedyk : 7th March 2012 at 15:06.
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But warning lights came before sun film also right?

Did he explain this bit?
He informed them about the lights flashing in Kolhapur. No explanation was given about the flashing. The Sun Film is just an excuse to take us for a ride and make a quick buck.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:09   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He informed them about the lights flashing in Kolhapur. No explanation was given about the flashing. The Sun Film is just an excuse to take us for a ride and make a quick buck.
Ensure they are not giving you guys a shortcut solutions Mostly they wont since they are also clueless on solving such electronics issue and will just blindly replace parts with new.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyk View Post
That was one heck of a conversation.
I bet if there was someone else in your place who wouldn't be aware of these norms, skoda would have made them cough up the entire amount.

Isn't this a fraud ?

Anyway, keen to see how skoda gets this done. For once out of fear !
Skoda dealers are nothing but fraudsters. Always ready to deceive the oblivious customer

Aptly Skoda tag line - "Simply Clever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ensure they are not giving you guys a shortcut solutions Mostly they wont since they are also clueless on solving such electronics issue and will just blindly replace parts with new.
Will be more than happy to get the parts replaced under warranty.

But worried that these inept fools screw up anything else under the hood while replacing.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2012 at 16:49. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 7th March 2012, 15:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Racer_X, This is awesome. Your Father in law rocks
I am just wondering how many of the new customer's would have been fooled by Skoda by giving similar crap & would have ended up paying for repairs on their brand new cars.

If this is the agony one has to go through after buying High Fundoo German cars then our Tatas & Mahindras are much better. Sasta Sunder Tikau!
ajnagpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 16:54   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Hello Guys!The Skoda woes continues in my extended family. After the ECU issue faced by my brother in law's Fabia (Read : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...new-fabia.html) which was sorted after escalations to Skoda Aurangabad, my wife's uncle has issue with his brand new Laura Automatic.
We are a Skoda family and have purchased atleast 4-5 cars till date and we expect some service from them.
Are these the first two instances of problematic Skoda's or are there any more? Then why buy Skoda? Looks like you are proud to be a part of the Skoda family, then why crib? It's a well documented fact that Skoda's service is not as good as their cars.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 7th March 2012 at 16:57.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 17:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Are these the first two instances of problematic Skoda's or are there any more? Then why buy Skoda? Looks like you are proud to be a part of the Skoda family, then why crib? It's a well documented fact that Skoda's service is not as good as their cars.
I know its a well documented fact and I am not cribbing just stating the issue.We fortunately did not face issue with the Octy (way old) and the Yeti. I am proud of the cars and not the dealers. It is just these 2 instances since (Fabia & now Laura) that we faced a problem and besides the Laura was booked and bought without consulting me by my wife's uncle who is not an enthusiast like you and me. I would have never advised him to go for the Laura.